OD worth the $ ?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding most of the e4od internals are stronger than the 4r100. I know when bulletproofing the 4r100 they are built with e4od forged internals. I think the 4r100 has a beefed up case though.

James

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding most of the e4od internals are stronger than the 4r100. I know when bulletproofing the 4r100 they are built with e4od forged internals. I think the 4r100 has a beefed up case though.

James
It's sort of a mix and match. The mechanical diodes they tried in the 4R100 should be avoided at all cost. Even ford recommends not reusing them (even though they brought them back in the later torqueshift transmission!). The stamped metal shells are often tossed in favor of the cast iron shells in the E4OD. But keep in mind the 4R100 was built to survive life behind the late model 7.3 powerstroke, which is no slouch compared to a turbocharged IDI.

In general, a diesel spec, factory ford rebuilt E4OD/4R100 is a good transmission. The internal hard part updates made a big difference. The aftermarket makes things better but many of them are overkill. I personally think cryo hardened shafts are a waste of money unless your rig is going into competition sled towing. Even shift kits are not such a great idea IMO, because it takes stress away from friction material on the clutches (cheap to replace), and transfers it to the hard parts of the transmission (expensive to replace).

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even shift kits are not such a great idea IMO, because it takes stress away from friction material on the clutches (cheap to replace), and transfers it to the hard parts of the transmission (expensive to replace).
I can to some extent agree with this. I hate the way the shifts feel in completely stock form. But I can also say from accidental experience that a stock 7.3 powerstroke can cause serious carnage to the forward drum on a close to wot downshift from 2nd at about 15mph with a transgo tugger hd2 kit.

James

KenIDI93

Reaction score
I've a 1986 F-250 6.9, 4x4 4:10 and factory 4-speed manual (T-19?) - truck is all original, 198k miles now.
A previous owner had installed a Gear Vender in 1992.
According to GV online chart, when in 4th overdrive, I now run at 3:22 ratio.
I can now run 70-75 mph and keep at/under 2400 rpms.
Yes, can convert/change over/et al with a different transmission = a LOT of work.
Original Post-er said wanted to keep auto tranny, pretty sure it said that?
With the C6 and a GV, give GV folks/factory a call and discuss it with them, as one option/decision maker.
Were it mine, I'd opt for the GV - keeps things original and nice n' clean...

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GV was my first plan but it sounds like the torque converter of my C6 takes away some of the benefit of the GV. And I'll get more transmission fluid heat. So it sounds like I'd mostly be paying for the gear splitting (which I don't need) than the OD (4th gear) that I was hoping for.
The GV doesn't sound like much bang for the buck$ for my usage.

Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I havent read all the pages and posts yet but you mentioned early on that you dont work this truck at all and you would be just fine with a gas engine and/or F150. So, why not sell your idi and get say an I6 F150? No matter how you swing it, a diesel truck is going to be alot more $ and work than a gas powered truck, especially the ford I6 which is known to be incredibly long lasting and durable. Everything would be cheaper and easier, right down to the fluids. It would ride better and make less noise and stink. For the price of buying a gear vendor unit, you could buy a good condition I6 F150 and it will likely last your whole life as long you maintain it goodnuff.

My opinion is that, unless you at least occasionally need what a diesel powerplant gives you then it is not worth owning one. Unless, of course, you have a ******* for these old dogs which I also completely understand, just doesnt sound like the situation in your case.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. I should have bought an F150 gasser. And I'd be fine with an I6.
I decided I was getting rid of my modern SUV for something that was simple and I could fix myself, if needed. And something 1995 or older so I don't have to deal with emissions testing.
I rushed into it and I found this truck (and a similar gasser) and I wanted to buy asap. I also have a mechanic friend that really promoted the simplicity and durability of the IDI. So here I am. And I've ironed out most of the things that needed attention.
So I've got it reliable and it does everything and more than I need. But I don't love it.
I don't know that I could get my $ back out of it. I'd likely be taking a $ hit and I don't know if I'd be buying someone else's problems. So unless something else happens to come my way that makes sense I'll keep trying to make this truck more lovable.
Or maybe I'll start a snow plowing and sanding business and try to get my $ out of this truck that way. But it would be a shame to see this nice truck meet that fate.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
I've a 1986 F-250 6.9, 4x4 4:10 and factory 4-speed manual (T-19?) - truck is all original, 198k miles now.
A previous owner had installed a Gear Vender in 1992.
According to GV online chart, when in 4th overdrive, I now run at 3:22 ratio.
I can now run 70-75 mph and keep at/under 2400 rpms.
Yes, can convert/change over/et al with a different transmission = a LOT of work.
Original Post-er said wanted to keep auto tranny, pretty sure it said that?
With the C6 and a GV, give GV folks/factory a call and discuss it with them, as one option/decision maker.
Were it mine, I'd opt for the GV - keeps things original and nice n' clean...
My take on the GV unit, and I do have them and like them, is that it adds a weak spot to the drivetrain. It does for sure reduce cruising RPM, and can be used to split forward gears. The auto trucks (non lockup.....th400,c6) that I have driven with them, unless they had a very good low stall converter (and that brings its own set of problems) really push the converter around. And that is with an na idi motor or mild big block. With a turbo 6.9 it would push the converter enough to not be able to really tell much difference with the OD on or off. This is at throttle or with a load, and the trans temp really gets up there quick.

Also, the computer and wiring connectors that come with them usually start to give trouble after a few years.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If you get GV, get the deep sump also. I have yet to get the 1988 new-old-stock Laycock (same thing as GV, just the original name) overdrive installed, due to $$$$ but also finding a shop that will install a GV unit on a motorhome. I got the deep sump from GV for it when I ordered the missing bits that weren't with the NOS main unit and tail housing.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Also, the computer and wiring connectors that come with them usually start to give trouble after a few years.

They don't seem to sell the complete control unit anymore. When I ordered parts last year, they sent me a little controller box with separate red and green LEDs, and a rocker switch for the on/off (manual control) that you must install into the dash. That's what they sell now, instead of the big controller box that's all in one.

A post showing the bits someone got from GV for their Chevy, including the controller being offered now from GV (says MSD on it): https://www.elcaminocentral.com/thr...ts-of-modern-modz.247594/page-10#post-2541257

I'm guessing it's a cost cutting design, especially if they die often.

And that's how it's wired up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785513

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GV, just looking for the Adaptor for the T-19 4-spd. Came off a C6 Trans.

My understanding with the manual trans, you can use a 2 spd shift button for a 2-spd Differential....
and not have all the switches buttons etc....

Maybe a GV is best for a manual trans than an auto trans.

They do use these GV`s in drag racing.. so they are tough.

I read through quite a few pages of the first link Cubby posted of the guy withe the 70 El Camino, quite interesting.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have a GV, just looking for the Adaptor for the T-19 4-spd. Came off a C6 Trans.

My understanding with the manual trans, you can use a 2 spd shift button for a 2-spd Differential....
and not have all the switches buttons etc....

Maybe a GV is best for a manual trans than an auto trans.

They do use these GV`s in drag racing.. so they are tough.

I read through quite a few pages of the first link Cubby posted of the guy withe the 70 El Camino, quite interesting.

Goat
I do prefer the GV with a manual trans, can identify as a gear splitter too then...

They do market the GV unit as very strong, full throttle 1000hp shifts or whatever they say, the problem is that they are not very strong with transmission in reverse....this is without the GV engaged. Also adds a pretty rediculous length to the back of the trans that I dont feel is strong enough. Seen them broken that way, and several that were backing up break.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do prefer the GV with a manual trans, can identify as a gear splitter too then...

They do market the GV unit as very strong, full throttle 1000hp shifts or whatever they say, the problem is that they are not very strong with transmission in reverse....this is without the GV engaged. Also adds a pretty rediculous length to the back of the trans that I dont feel is strong enough. Seen them broken that way, and several that were backing up break.
I can’t imagine it would be all that difficult to mount a cross member under the gear vendors. Are you saying that when backing a trailer or something they have a tendency to fail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online