Interesting 47RH trouble, any IDEAS?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a 95 Dodge 3500 with the 47RH and it has some interesting symptoms.
It is locked in gear, it goes into park and the pawls engage but it is still trying
to pull. It stays in 1st gear when shifted to reverse, and same with Neutral.
In Drive it will perform a 1-2 shift after 2500rpm. Of course all my "testing" has
been done on the lift, since the truck is not "road worthy". I traded for it for
it's parts, it is pretty rough.........

I think I know what the problem is, I just want to know if anyone else has had it.
Thanks!

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
It has probably burnt up the forward clutch pack to the point the clutches and steels are welded together. Another possible problem is in the valve body. What does the fluid smell like? Have you taken any pressure tests or dropped the pan?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
spg,

I am scrapping the truck out anyway, my assumption was the clutches had welded together. I had just never seen it happen like that before. Thanks for the reply!
The fluid is cooked btw, dark as the oil. I will be listing the truck in the marketplace.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Ive seen em weld like that before. IT usually means a dam expensive rebuild as the whole drum and anything around it will be trash (sometimes even the case).
Ken

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Trans is still rebuildable. Just a matter of cleaning and replacing the clutches & steels which is part of a rebuild anyway. Rarely does it hurt the drum. A complete rebuild means cleaning, checking and inspecting all components. Replacing any bad parts and adding any upgrades to improve durability. Such as stronger parts, more clutches and valve body improvements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.