U-joint warning chime

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last couple months I started having a clank sound from somewhere under the truck whenever I shift between forward and reverse. More pronounced when in low range, due to the higher torque pulse. Usually I see the rear u joint fail first but after changing the rear two, I started second guessing myself and opened the diff cover just to be sure that wasn’t the issue. The Yukon gears are still fairly new, and so is the e locker, so there’s a chance I may have screwed something up in the axle.

The gears have a perfect wear pattern and everything was still tight. Even the pinion preload was still tight.

Anyway, long story short, it was the front u joint on the rear driveshaft. Lesson learned, listen the “u-joint warning alarm”. For those who don’t know, it generally sounds like hitting the drive shaft with a wrench.

See attached for what mine looked like.

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 4

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The carrier bearing on the f250 i had went bad with almost no warning. I heard clunking and checked it, found bad play. continued on hoping it would hold out. it was like a bowling ball in a dryer by the time I got to the next city in the next state, so i called and found a shop for the next morning and went to motel 6 for the night. thankfully I could baby the throttle to reduce the banging. and thankfully the driveshaft wasn't trashed. just needed the carrier bearing.

that same day, in the morning, the passenger window mysteriously shattered while I was driving at 55mph. So i had spent half the day getting a junk yard window and putting it in.

what a crappy day that was

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The carrier bearing on the f250 i had went bad with almost no warning. I heard clunking and checked it, found bad play. continued on hoping it would hold out. it was like a bowling ball in a dryer by the time I got to the next city in the next state, so i called and found a shop for the next morning and went to motel 6 for the night. thankfully I could baby the throttle to reduce the banging. and thankfully the driveshaft wasn't trashed. just needed the carrier bearing.

that same day, in the morning, the passenger window mysteriously shattered while I was driving at 55mph. So i had spent half the day getting a junk yard window and putting it in.

what a crappy day that was
I’ve been lucky so far. Never had a center support bearing fail. I wanted to swap in a single piece driveshaft but was told by one shop that it can’t be done. And unfortunately, there aren’t many driveline shops in my neck of the woods.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I’ve been lucky so far. Never had a center support bearing fail. I wanted to swap in a single piece driveshaft but was told by one shop that it can’t be done. And unfortunately, there aren’t many driveline shops in my neck of the woods.

When I found it bad that morning, just before getting on the highway towards a bigger city in Colorado, from Laramie WY and having the passenger window bust out mysteriously.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media