Injector seals

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have installed my ats turbo setup on my 89 with a 7.3 the last return line cap on the passenger side will not seal I've tried several different sets of orings several times and checked my cap for cracks but fuel still seeps out of it while running truck doesn't seem to be missing could the injector be shot?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the last on the front of the engine or the back? I had a hard time setting the one on the front - it's really got to be a good solid "click" when it seats, otherwise it's not sealed tight enough. Also, grab some Vaseline and lube it up, it'll help it seat better.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cap should fit tight even when lubed over the 1st o'ring then snap down over the bottom one. When you put the o'rings on, did you put the 1st one in the top groove, then roll the bottom one over it, that's the proper way to do it. Putting the 1st ring on the bottom, you can cut it causing it to leak.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. That's probably what happened if you didn't roll them on right. If you're lucky, you can dig up a spare o-ring that'll fit without having to buy an entire set again.

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put those o rings on like that anyway it is easier to do it that way anyway I'm not sure that I am getting it sealed right isnt there supposed to be a gap in between the line and the cap? When I put them on they were lubed like they were supposed to be and its the last one towards the cab

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a decent amount of force to get mine to seat on some of them, not sure why. I would say if you're not hearing a solid "click" like you heard for the ones that aren't leaking try again. If that doesn't work, go change your o-rings. Then, if that fails, go grab a better cap. Hey, wait a second, something just occurred to me - are you re-using the little spring clamps on the hoses, or did you get new ones?

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done all of this in bulk with screw type hose clamps and hose the kit is too pricey for me

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try this to get the cap to seat;

Push the cap on as tight as you can get it, then slide in 2 or 3 washers that fit over the injector threads, then thread on the fuel (hard) line, using the nut off of the hard line to push down on the washers to seat the plastic cap properly.

Then unscrew the hard line, remove the washers, and replace the hard line.

As others have mentioned, while you are there, replace the o-rings on that injector in case they are cut, lube them up with 30wt oil or equivalent.

in case you need to buy more o-rings, just go to your local auto-parts or hardware store and ask for some #111 o-rings, no reason to purchase a "kit" unless you need new caps;Sweet

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There it is - they put unequal pressure on the hoses when they are so small. If you check Lowes, they actually do have those red clips, but they don't think they do. They're tucked way back in the back of one of those random hardware drawers - and they're something like 22 cents apiece. I don't think that's your big problem, I think the cap just isn't seated yet, but for next time, it's cheaper and better to use those.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 3/4" deep well socket, set it on top of the cap and smack it with a hammer, that will seat the cap.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think since he hasnt replaced them the cap may be cracked.
38.00 for a complete return kit with viton orings and olives for the steel lines is too much.:dunno:dunno

Oh and screw clamps that small do not work real well on plastic fittings.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an odd deal, coincidently on the same rear passenger return line cap. Had put a new return line kit on last spring. Cap on #7 seeped a couple days, then seemed to quit, but started leaking again (along with #5) this fall. Replaced all O-rings with new viton rings. Didn't see any leaks, but continued checking and one day saw a tiny air bubble come out, no real visable fuel leaking but definately a tiny air bubble. So I popped that cap off and when I hooked the O-ring with my tiny hook to take it off, it fell right off, it was split! I checked the inside of the cap, and it was smoorh, some have reported sharp seams inside some caps. I thought this to be very odd, but lubbed up a new pair of O-rings and when rolling them on I saw the problem, there was a tiny loose burr of metal laying in the threads of the injector (perhaps from a cross thread event, maybe from the factory, these still being original injectors and lines off now for 3rd time in 20 years?). Anyway, as I rolled the O-ring on this burr would roll out of the thread a bit and, I assume, is what cut the previous O-ring. I removed the burr, cleaned up the threads, installed new O-ring, and so far, no leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online