income tax time ctd swap?

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
the 89 - 93's has good HP potential, but the 94-98 has the best HP potential because of the pump. The 89-93's can get up wards of 500hp with some good parts though. I think a heavily modded pump still limits it to like 600hp something around there on fuel only. And the 4bt is even better on fuel and the same mods apply, they had the VE, and the P7100 pumps on them. Its a 6BT with two cylinders missing, so good numbers can be had out of them.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
For the Dodge trucks anyway:

89-93 VE pump mechanical (rotary pump).
94-98 P7100 mechanical (piston pump).
98.5-02 VP44 electronic (rotary pump)
03 and newer common rail CP3 electronic.

I don't think its fair to say the electronic Cummins get worse mileage--well my 01 could hit 21mpg on the highway (usually around 16-19 around town) and my VE pump 92 could clear 24 going off of GPS. The VE trucks get stupid crazy mileage that nobody but another VE owner will believe LOL

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Not to change the subject too much, I hope.

Rotbox, just how well will a VE pull a heavy load?? (Say 18,000lbs gcvw or so?)

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
500 hp is plenty
i want reiable easy to work on and all
now a 4bt i know is a short 6bt but hows power in a pickup the one i found comes with a 205 t case and sm465? tranny i think its a gm tranny correct?
i know the 4bt came in the breat trucks and those things can handle some weight but im talking towing 10k how will it do compared to a 6bt?
the 4 would be nice to have more room under the hood i wanna add some crap under there anyway

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to change the subject too much, I hope.

Rotbox, just how well will a VE pull a heavy load?? (Say 18,000lbs gcvw or so?)

I don't consider a mere 18,000-lbs as being heavy; often, the cows alone will out-weigh that figure, let alone my 10,000-pound-plus truck and whatever the trailer weighs.

At highway speed, I can walk the top out of most hills in direct.

Does that answer your question ?? :dunno

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kool alien darrin and midnight you got build threads?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks Midnight!

Similar to 88's question; What have you done to your '89 motor?

What is your estimated HP and TQ?

I am curious because of a future repower project I am kicking around. (Its a Dodge chassis.):eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Hopefully I will have 2 CTD's by the end of the day - I'm supposed to see the 92 dodge around lunch time. I'm working on a 91 Dodge with a 12V in my shop right now - cash job with a crap load of work to do. New HX40 turbo, intercooler, fuel pin and gov spring mods, veg oil fuel kit, plow, leaks, gauges and more. He wants to split on the 92 with me if he see's anything that he can use. Goofy will inherit most of my IDI stuff if I end up with the dodge for a donor. I'm also working on a 12V in a JCB loader at work - it has a VE pump and the rear support bracket was missing since new causing the pump to vibrate until it broke....One ear broke off the front of the pump and the other 2 studs broke off in the cover. The only thing holding the pump steady was the injector lines.:eek:

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think the ONLY advantage a 24V has over a 12V is just that....the ability to breathe. There are kits out there to put a P7100 on a 24V engine. That is CRAZY easy power, BUT at a price. I know this is unrealistic due to the cost, but imagine a mechanical 24V with an HX40 and a P7100 lol.

Now, onto the factory 24V engines. Dad has one in his truck. He has 3.55's, 47RE (I think?) and it's a 4x4. Super cab, short box. The mileage on that truck SUCKS!!!!!

I can get 18 MPG is I drive 20 over the limit, with 1200 pounds of gravel in the bed. That is BAD for my truck

If dad sees 17 MPG, it's a good day for that truck. I can WALK all over him on the roads, even though I don't have a turbo.

The VP44 JUST went here last fall. $1400 put a new injection pump, AND lift pump on it. The lift pump crapped out best we can tell and the VP44 ate itself.

I would REALLY consider a 12v for this conversion. I mean after you pull that simple, yet effective IDI out from between your fenders, do you REALLY want a computer and complicated wiring to take it's place?

All in all, it's your truck and you should do whatever you want to. Either way, keep us posted!!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya im thinking a 12v conversion but if the 3k truck goes well then who knows but thats a bit high for me id like the 4bt but i cant seem to find any power info on them i want something that will tow great with no mods and then i can mod if more power is needed

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a 345 cummins too anyone know about these?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'd like the 4bt but i cant seem to find any power info on them i want something that will tow great with no mods and then i can mod if more power is needed

Stock a 4BT is pretty underpowered for such a heavy truck imo. Like the 5.9 there is lots of power potential depending on how far you want to go/spend.

Here's a good 4bt site. www.4btswaps.com

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Midnight!

Similar to 88's question; What have you done to your '89 motorENGINE ?

What is your estimated HP and TQ?

The basic engine is bone-stock; original turbo; the main fuel-screw has barely been advanced; I haven't yet messed with the timing, either.

I did swap the Dodge-specific exhaust-manifold for one from a standard application, not for performance gains, but to get the turbo-charger farther away from the Ford A/C box.

This swap necessitated me building a different/better intake crossover.

This engine is still NON-inter-cooled.

I have no notion as to torque and horse-power numbers; it feels at least ten-times whatever the old 6.9 IDI had. ;Sweet

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The basic engine is bone-stock; original turbo; the main fuel-screw has barely been advanced; I haven't yet messed with the timing, either.

I did swap the Dodge-specific exhaust-manifold for one from a standard application, not for performance gains, but to get the turbo-charger farther away from the Ford A/C box.

This swap necessitated me building a different/better intake crossover.

This engine is still NON-inter-cooled.

I have no notion as to torque and horse-power numbers; it feels at least ten-times whatever the old 6.9 IDI had. ;Sweet

That is interesting considering that the published HP/TQ numbers for those years seem a bit low.

All the 4BT transplants I've seen have ended with the owner wishing he'd dona 6BT. A few weeks ago i ran into the guy that built the rat-rod with the twin-turbo 4BT in it. Very cool rig, but I didn't ask him about its real world performance. Mostly because I figured it wouldn't apply to a heavy truck. I'm sure it scoots that 1500lb car right along!