income tax time ctd swap?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i found a good cummins donor asking 3k it needs a tranny is my main concern but its 2wd so.... id need one for the swap but its a 99 24v so my question is are these computer controlled? if so id need the comp can i adapt this to the ford easily?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Huh? Did I read that right? a '99 24v Cummins for $3000? Whats wrong with it other than the tranny? Thats crazy cheap! If you get the whole truck, I personally wouldn't be afraid of tackling the conversion.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy is probably really frustrated and just wants it out of his sight. A rebuilt Dodge auto tranny can be expensive just like an E4OD. I'm a Ford guy but I love the diesel soun on those 24V 98-02.5 Cummins. Only drawback is that it uses the expensive and tougher to mod Bosch VP-44 pump instead of the P or VE mechanical pumps. It would probably be a good conversion, give us some variety besides IDIs and 12V engines.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Man I loved my 01 24v--for the most part. I didn't understand all the electronics and there were a LOT of things that controlled the motor and trans. To me it looked like a fuster cluck of wiring under the hood and dash, but for some it might not be that big of deal :dunno I would have no less than a factory service manual and a good OBDII scanner if I pulled the trigger on one again.

Things to consider: Some say an aftermarket lift pump and fuel psi gauge are mandatory. Running the VP44 dry for even a short period of time can cause serious damage. They are $900+ for a new pump. Also the 53 block (indicated on the front left hand side just above the oil pan) that came in many 24v trucks is know to crack right under the head on the passenger side of the motor. The turbocharger (HY-35) on some of the auto equipped trucks suffers from high drive pressure even in stock form. Swapping on a HX35 or better is pretty easy though...

I like them, but I love the VE pump Cummins (89-93) a lot more... Tractor like power, reliable and stupid simple. That would be my motor of choice in a F-series ;Sweet Just my .02.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 24V has 3 draw backs - the VP44, ****** lift pumps and poor ECM's - all are not cheap to replace and neither are all that great. I'd go for a 12V....I have a 92 D350 dually to view tommorow for $1500obo, it has a good running 12v and rebuilt auto trans with 290,000KM. I'm going to try and weasel it for $1000-1200, sell the deck and scrap the truck for parts to get my money back so I can keep the 12V and etc for free. If I get it I will be putting it in my 92 F350 and selling the factory 1994 7.3T IDI sitting in the driveway to Goofy....I have a good feeling I will get it for $1200 or less if I pick the Cummins to death with my experienced eye.:sly. I'll keep the other 12V I have for a future project I have in my head.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-92-dodge-1ton-wsteel-body-W0QQAdIdZ248132664

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look its ok the idi will get a full proformance rebuild and be swapped in something cool truck is my work horse
i was also considering putting a new tranny in it
then doing the swap a while down the line
but .... its beat pretty well with 200k so ya
also he said hed trade for trucks or suvs and i got a 95 grand cherokee i was thinking of offering him towards a trade
anyone by laurel md? maybe go check it out for me
but i was thinking to leave all ecu stuff hooked up so it runs
put it all under the hood
and cut off non ecu stuff
tracing marking and shortening wires is no big deal to me
and i got an hx35 laying around
but now ive heard the first gen was all mech the second gen was comp controlled but it wasnt much the thrid gen and up was a full obdII system being 99 this is obdII so is this full obdII system or a obdI mostly mechanical thing

like is the pump etc. computer controlled or mechanical?

also i could pull all parts i want and throw in storage
but he says it goes up to 45 well just no od gear in auto tranny would anyone recomend using it to drive once in a while? all under 45 of corse

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ocnorb id buy that in a heartbeat so if anyone will deliver it for free id be up for it but its way too far away

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i found a good cummins donor asking 3k it needs a tranny is my main concern but its 2wd so.... id need one for the swap but its a 99 24v so my question is are these computer controlled? if so id need the comp can i adapt this to the ford easily?

Pre-1998 is what you want.

Avoid the electronics and headaches of anything later.

The earlier mechanical Cummins are the ones that will make you proud to have switched.

The later electronic computer-controlled 24-valve nightmares barely get 10-MPG and are higher maintenance than a coal-miner's daughter. :eek:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so a 96 is obdII but still mechanical so all the electronic crap is useless?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, mid-1998 was the dividing point between the fully mechanical P7100-pumped engines and the electronic VP44-pumped 24-valve engines.

I used to know how to decipher which was which by the 8th digit/letter of the VIN-number; it seems like one was a "C" and the other a "D", but I don't remember which was which. :dunno

My preferences are :

First = 1989 or 1990 Bosch rotary VE-pumped non-Inter-Cooled; these engines have the biggest injector bores and achieve the highest fuel-mileage of them all

Second = 1991.5 -1993; same VE pump; Inter-Cooled; but, with smaller injector bores, a larger exhaust housing, and not quite the power or mileage of the earlier ones.

Third = 1994-1998.5; these engines are the real "12-valves"; Bosch P7100 six-piston-operated inline injector-pump that is capable of insane horse-power; a bigger, quicker-spooling turbo; factory-original piston lift-pump (which many variants have been swapped onto the earlier 1989-1993 diaphragm-pumped engines); as a general rule, these engines lack the high fuel-mileage capabilities of the earlier engines.

Anything after 1998.5, while they are a Cummins engine, :puke: :puke: :puke:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok that helps
well i see a lot on cl but its always something is wrong for a low price
but i found a few trucks that are usable
so try for 89 to 93 then
well now which trannies were electric seems noone has a cheap manual tranny around here for 2500 just a tranny id find a 10 speed in a yard
so its gonna be auto like the truck is now
and the electronic trannies were they like the e4od with their own controler

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oo just found 4bt tranny and tcase any input on them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online