John Deere engine swap?

94 moneypit

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the right place to ask but it’s a cool topic. Anyone ever swapped a JD engine in a pickup? Specifically the 6068t. I think it would make a great tow pig engine. They are built to run at WOT all day for the life of the tractor right? If you could get a pump shop to build your injection pump to around 175-200cc and make 350-400ish crank horsepower with compound turbos I bet it would be dead nuts reliable. I’ll post pics of the dimensions I got offline when I find them lol. I bet it would fit in an OBS ford or a superduty fairly easily. I mean the Cummins is a 6.7 and the JD is a 6.8 with a 5 inch stroke. It would have to be a torque monster! Anybody have input?

94 moneypit

Reaction score
Also I’m pretty sure it’s a cross flow head which is awesome. I think it has a sae bellhousing so a tranny would be obtainable. I’m getting exited just thinking about it!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm for it. It's outta my league, but I support you. I know where a deuse and a half is that is just a cab and cut frame. It's got the real multi fuel engine and transmission, I thought that would be spiffy, but I'm really not interested.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you have definitely intrigued me with this idea. Only problem I see with this is having to buy parts for a deere. I have a lot of deere equipment and every trip to the dealer is like bending over razor wire and taking a donkey dry!

At one point I read a thread on some forum about someone putting a 301 allis in a truck.

James

94 moneypit

Reaction score
I don’t doubt you lol. Every time one of our Deere’s break down at work they are down for at least a 3-4 days waiting kn parts… sometimes longer. Hopefully I won’t need a lot of JD parts though… oil filters and air filters maybe. It ‘should’ be fairly reliable…

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1983 John Deere 111lawn mower......... that's about all the JD I can afford. I guess I have a later 90s JD mower right now that I'm working on. It has a 2 cylinder Briggs and Stratton vanguard, but that's probably not too exciting under the hood of a 86 F350. It's kinda supercharged if you figure that the fan forces air into the air cleaner.......

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Trying to recall..... What was that air cooled diesel engine that was inline that could be put togather anywhere from one cyl up? Just pull crank, add cyl with longer crank. IE: 2 cyl, pull crank, add cyl, add back crank say with 3 cyl crank, now you got 3 cyl diesel engine. Can't remember what brand that was.

Anyway, about 1975 was down in Arkansas once at irrigation place & they had an International 3/4 ton truck there they were putting one of these 5cyl air cooled diesel engines into. Said it would get 42-44 MPG empty & about 36-38 MPG loaded pulling big GN Stock trailer loaded.
I also remember a guy that had a 5 cyl turboed Perkins in a 1 ton truck, had good HP as well as good MPG.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to recall..... What was that air cooled diesel engine that was inline that could be put togather anywhere from one cyl up? Just pull crank, add cyl with longer crank. IE: 2 cyl, pull crank, add cyl, add back crank say with 3 cyl crank, now you got 3 cyl diesel engine. Can't remember what brand that was.

Anyway, about 1975 was down in Arkansas once at irrigation place & they had an International 3/4 ton truck there they were putting one of these 5cyl air cooled diesel engines into. Said it would get 42-44 MPG empty & about 36-38 MPG loaded pulling big GN Stock trailer loaded.
I also remember a guy that had a 5 cyl turboed Perkins in a 1 ton truck, had good HP as well as good MPG.
Was it a deutz? I looked at a 60-70hp deutz tractor one time, it may have been closer to 80hp, it was a big tractor and yeah air cooled German diesel.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most air cooled diesels that I can think of would be Deutz, Leyland made some but only in the UK from my understanding.

We have a Deutz at work that runs a blower for moving concrete powder. At idle it sounds like a sweet ol' 4 cylinder diesel. Rev it up and it sounds like it wants to take on 2 stroke Detroits in a noise competition...

We also have John Deere tractors at work, one 9330 and one 9560R. Now of course that's different than the tractors of old, but, I actually do like most everything about them. John Deere has an excellent parts network, you won't have much trouble finding parts, just lots of waiting and you will have to pay deerely for them... Caterpillar is worse though... but they can usually get parts to you faster.

Here at the farm we have two Case tractors, a 2012 Maxxum 115 2WD, and a 2014 Magnum 380 MFWD. The Maxxum is a comfortable, pre DEF, nice tractor, with strong hydraulics. But it is rather hard starting, and probably only makes 80 hp. It has always been this way, we bought it new in 2012.

That Magnum, I hate... it is too big for our farm, the transmission won't stay bolted to the engine, mostly thanks to Case's use of FRIGGIN ALUMINUM BOLTS, it drinks DEF like a pig, and is really quite uncomfortable. But it has power, and hardly drinks fuel. Seems poorly built.

I want to get an older loader tractor, like a 4020 or a 4320 JD.

Both at work and on the farm, we use 299D high flow compact track loaders. Have a 2012 here at the farm, and a dozen at work, 2019-2023, a few just got delivered a few days ago... but they get pretty unreliable past 2000 hrs, throwing emissions codes all the time, need to have twice as many loaders as we will use, so we have a few to run! Those newer ones at work are 299D3XE.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get an older loader tractor, like a 4020 or a 4320 JD.
I love these tractors, I have been looking for a few years for one I can afford. About 15 years ago you could pick up a fairly nice diesel 4020 in my area for between 4-6k with a loader. Now that price will get you a propane or non running diesel without a loader. A diesel that functions with a loader will run you around 12-17k here now.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these tractors, I have been looking for a few years for one I can afford. About 15 years ago you could pick up a fairly nice diesel 4020 in my area for between 4-6k with a loader. Now that price will get you a propane or non running diesel without a loader. A diesel that functions with a loader will run you around 12-17k here now.

James
It's the same around here. I'm also about the "20" series JDs, but they're untouchable price wise. You can get a early 70s MF or International for the $4-6K, but a JD? Yeah right, and Lord help you if you gotta buy a part with green paint on it!

I do know where a great big deutz is though! It needs tires all around, before you can do anything with it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old 630 that I love, but with a hand clutch it makes for a very difficult to run loader tractor. I also have a collection of 317, 318 and 425 deere garden tractors. And an old wire tie deere baler.

They are all very good equipment, but the parts cost definitely hurts. Only piece of deere equipment that I have issues getting parts for is my 224ws baler, seems like every time I need a part for it they tell me that it was discontinued in the 70's:rotflmao

At one time I used to complain about the cost of the $100 belt on my 317 mower, until I got that troy bilt ztr. The belt on the deere usually lasts between 4-6 years mowing around 3 acres. That damn mtd built POS goes through several belts per season at $25 per pop.

I also have a couple of old allis chalmers, have a d17 with a loader and a 180 diesel that I run the round baler on. They have both been good tractors, dealing with agco for parts can definitely be difficult at times.

James

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.