Priming the Fuel System w/ Mechanical Lift Pump

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I do, it’s low cost and saves your time, starter and batteries. When you replace fuel lines or swap tanks you introduce air that can be a bear to get out.
Purchase a hand pump like this style, it is around $5.

1. Fill your fuel filter with diesel
2. Crack all your injector lines
3. Connect the pump to the line right before the filter head in the engine bay. The pump line is maleable and a friend can hold it or zip ties whatever works depending on your setup. Pump until diesel comes out.
4. *if you just replaced your IP too do this step, if not, go to step 5* Loosen your IP bolts and turn it as far as it comfortably goes passenger side with all injection lines connected. I will bet you 9 out of 10 times you are timed way more retarded than you think. I would also say if you think you have it timed perfect by ear it’s often about 3-3.5 degrees retarded off spec.
5. Now turn it over till diesel comes out of the line nuts and tighten them all
6. Fire the engine
7. Time the engine

You all know most of this, but all together this is the fastest way I prime and start IDIs from dry w/ mechanical lift pump.

Last edited:

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but if you like to have all fuel lines tight, or closed or whatever you call that, I would suggest you take the little insert out of the schrader valve on the filterhead, connect the pumps suction hose on there, maybe with a hoseclamp? and start pumping, the fuel will arrive quickly.
the only thing is; try as quickly as you can to get the hose off and the little element in the schrader valve, because all air which enters there will cause the fuel level inside the lines to drop. (or have a helper to put a finger in the schrader valve to give you time to install the element)? :)
That worked for me!
and even better is if you arrive to do this with a warmed up engine, that makes for a easier start alltogether.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but if you like to have all fuel lines tight, or closed or whatever you call that, I would suggest you take the little insert out of the schrader valve on the filterhead, connect the pumps suction hose on there, maybe with a hoseclamp? and start pumping, the fuel will arrive quickly.
the only thing is; try as quickly as you can to get the hose off and the little element in the schrader valve, because all air which enters there will cause the fuel level inside the lines to drop. (or have a helper to put a finger in the schrader valve to give you time to install the element)? :)
That worked for me!
and even better is if you arrive to do this with a warmed up engine, that makes for a easier start alltogether.
Good comment, you can do that too. It wasn’t on my mind because I don’t run factory filter heads.
You must be registered for see images attach

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that filter head better than the aftermarket 7.3 one I'm planning to use. Easier to plug the extra holes. I made this plug yesterday, not the piece of artwork that Sparks-IDI made, but I think it'll work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online