IM BACK!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congragulations!
You'll find there's many critics of the GM, and it is the "unwanted stepchild" of pickup diesels. But they do hold up very well to drivers with a binary foot. I've been playing with the 6.2/6.5 longer than the IH idi and was making them work in a fleet of tow trucks and service trucks. Thankfully to the US gov't being eyeball deep in these motors, there has been alot of improvement on parts. You can get complete ****** castings if you want to go stupid crazy. In order for the HUMVEE to keep running, there's a new design block that is almost unbreakable and ****** head castings that will graft on the 6.2/6.5. There are differences in the valve sizes, precup size, and injector angling, but if you run the same pair of heads you will be fine. I've been bolting together 6.2's and 6.5's motor combinations for years. As far a a turbo goes, its a necessity for these motors to get out of their own way. Without it, they're slower than a NA IH. If there is a choice between the Banks turbo kit or a GM factory kit, I'd go with the GM. imho, much better thought out and easier to get parts than the banks. Only problem with the GM factory setup is if you do have a AC setup, you will need to do some major work to get everything to fit. here's a pic of one of my morphodite trucks....

Attachments

• 15-11-05_2351.jpg
    15-11-05_2351.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
sweet deal! I guess i need to find me a GM turbo setup, I was thinkin I could get one off a 6.9 since they are so popular, and make it work, Guess I should keep my eyes out for the chevy...Im not running A/C BTW... ;Sweet

Thanks CAl and Scott for the info, and to frieght train, I just bought the motors, not trucks, THAT would be an Insane deal....haha

PS that chevy looks sweet, nothing like "turbo Power!" LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a Banks gen2 turbo on one of my projects, I put it on a listing about two years ago and had a landslide of chebby people wanting the turbo only and didn't care if the rest of the IH IDI stuff wasn't all there. I'm glad I didn't sell it then, since I won't have the parts to do it now. The gen2 banks is about twice the size of the turbo they put out for the chebby 6.2/6.5 cookoo

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The gen2 stuff is the Mitsubishi TE06 isn't it towcat? The only words of wisdom I can provide is check the block over, If it isn't cracked get a main girdle kit or idealy get a set of splayed main caps. That's the #1 downfall of these motors. There are a few guys out there that can set you up with a good fuel system, contact me for info about that.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Man this IH IDI land sure is a rolling terrain, banks gen1& gen 2, ATS, Hypermax, and intercooling... :Sly At least you guys got some people that make some parts. The GM is looked upon as the ******* child of the diesel community and is treated as such by vendors. Even ones who sell parts for them...

I almost joined IDI land once upon a time, '91 7.3 5 speed tranny... I thought it was fun, but the price was to high.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What the heck is up with the dates on that site, their all like a month ahead. I dont get it, can somebody explain to me why all the dates are ahead.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
the auctions are coming up... cookoo HAHA its just letting you know, if you see something you like, mark your calendar. The auctions usually only last two or three days :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online