IDI Bronco Project

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have talked about it for a long time now, looked for just as long for a bronco I wanted to do this with and fit my budget of as close to free as possible. Well, I have finally got to that point.

Allow me to introduce the newest member of the fleet, a 1986 Full size Bronco. It originally had a 351/C6 with usual 1/2 ton diffs etc. This will be the beginning of a several year long project which will end with the bronco inheriting the bulk of whats in the black 85 F250 in regards to engine, transmission, transfer case, diffs, suspension, related wiring and so on.

The goal at this point is to do each step once, do it right then move on. It will take some time to get this done because I intend to take my time with this one rather than rocking the bandaid mobile as such was with the 85 F250. A hopeful side effect is this might be enough to stop me from modifying the PSD. Maybe.... :)

Anyhow as the saying goes, its all lies until there are pictures!

Here is the bronco as it sits now..

You must be registered for see images attach

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I like the bull nose Broncos. ;Sweet

Is the plan for this to be a DD or an off-road toy?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be an off road/exploring toy that can be used as a DD if needed. It may look a little like a pavement princess once its done, but it won't be!!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now! I appreciate any and all information others have learned the hard way. This should be a fun build for me and a chance to learn more new things.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riotwarrior, How much for your rust free tailgate? Both mine are rusted in different ways.

IdIoit, they are very similar to a F150 frame, but I think there are a couple of differences where the truck bed would normally go. Still its another good reference! Thanks man!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the main points i thought of is the mod to the engine plates that bolt to the frame, since your cross member should have a hole for an oil filter for the gasser... idk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things that will make having the donor truck and the bronco side by side so very nice. Little things like that are going to be easy to compare.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive been thinking about doing the same thing for a daily driver to replace the grand cherokee im driving when the time comes. but my thoughts were to remove the cradle...completely build a new tubular one and put a SFA out of a 78-79 bronco/F150 under it.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the bronco is finally home. Got some stuff started.

Got the tailgate open, and it started to cave in on itself. I am pretty sure its toast. Snapped off 4 of 6 bolts holding it to the brackets which connect it to the truck. but its out! Then went to clean out all the junk in the back.

Oh I pulled a ZF 5 speed out of a 4x4 7.3 idi at picky on the way home. My buddy and I with only sockets, one breaker bar and one pry bar had it on the ground in 2 hours in the blazing heat!

I pulled out the flooring as well, I don't plan on using that anyhow. Then tossed the ZF in the back!

Thats all for tonight. Tomorrow is more cleaning out of crap, and rust assessment.

Of course, more pictures to come!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the cheezy powerstroke V8 stickers came off before I did anything else!!!

Also, There is a very good chance I will be turning this into a diesel bronco without having to rob from the black truck. The ZF is a really good step in that direction!