IDI Bronco Project

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I went back to picky and grabbed some other odds and ends I will eventually need for this project.

Clutch pedal assembly
Bracketing for the ZF off the back of the engine
Metal plate that goes on top of the trans tunnel
Tailgate cables
Bolts for the hood and hood springs (PO apparently forgot to throw them in) along with the clips they go into just in case mine is a different thread.
Brake signal switch module thing
Bolts and hardware to mount a dual mass flywheel
Dust cover for clutch

We were gonna grab the flywheel but all the teeth had some nasty chunks taken out of them. Someone's been grinding starters!! So I will just buy a new one along with a new clutch kit.

I put the other tailgate on just so I have something to work with for now.

Put the other parts and pieces in the back of the bronco.

You must be registered for see images attach

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats a good thing because wholly crap the dual mass flywheels are expensive, even on rockauto!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I need a tailgate. I will get the one you have there, but its just time and money holding me back. Mostly time.

Hopefully I make it out there before the fall, thats the plan anyhow.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it they make for smoother shifting. Though honestly, I don't really have a preference considering I have lived with whatever the 6.9/T19 combo is without complaint.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be a rather active thread so enjoy!

I plan on lots of pictures etc. My projects usually move quick, so I am curious how this will end up timeline wise.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can possibly see bout shipping with load of fruit to coast...

I will take a close up of latch mechanism to compare to uours...if same we are golden.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So according to the interwebs (which never lie of course) in theory, a dual mass flywheel is supposed to protect the transmission from any jarring motions and such which result from day to day shifting. It is also supposed to cut down on vibration while idling in neutral or even just driving along. The only side effect is that if it does decides to fail, it can blow up the bellhousing, the transmission or both.

A single mass flywheel is apparently just a regular flywheel with no fancy stuff. It doesn't shield the transmission from anything, rather it just passes all the punishment along. This apparently causes premature transmission failures, shorter transmission internals lifespans, and so on. However if it fails, its no where near as destructive as a dual mass.

So I am left to ponder..

Either the T19 is tough as nails and the ZF5 is a *****..

Or something else is missing from the puzzle to necessitate the presence of a dampening flywheel.

While I ponder that.. here are more pics.

I swapped the fancy grill and marker light assembly off the black truck with the one the bronco came with.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a small update. I have the ZF5 and NP205 bolted together.

Grabbed battery trays, and the differently located washer fluid/coolant overflow tanks along with all related bracketing from the donor truck. I also swapped over the tail lights from the black truck. It had a newer style box so it had smoother looking tail lights rather than those early 80's ribbed ones.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would you want for the old passenger-side tail light? Oh, wait, I'll bet shipping to the States would be :eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So according to the interwebs (which never lie of course) in theory, a dual mass flywheel is supposed to protect the transmission from any jarring motions and such which result from day to day shifting. It is also supposed to cut down on vibration while idling in neutral or even just driving along. The only side effect is that if it does decides to fail, it can blow up the bellhousing, the transmission or both.

A single mass flywheel is apparently just a regular flywheel with no fancy stuff. It doesn't shield the transmission from anything, rather it just passes all the punishment along. This apparently causes premature transmission failures, shorter transmission internals lifespans, and so on. However if it fails, its no where near as destructive as a dual mass.

So I am left to ponder..

Either the T19 is tough as nails and the ZF5 is a *****..

Or something else is missing from the puzzle to necessitate the presence of a dampening flywheel.

I don't know who told you this, but its horse hockey. The DMF exists ONLY to diminish the noise. I'm running 4 ZF-5's with Lucky Mod conversion flywheels in my fleet, and NO Issues other than noise, and when used with a sprung clutch disc, noise not that bad. I ran my diesel Bronco with a solid clutch disc for 3 years as a daily driver ON PURPOSE to determine if there is any truth to the above claims, and there is none. After 3 years, I just couldn't take the noise any more so I put in a sprung clutch disc, but the flywheel is still solid. None of the trucks so equipped have had any flywheel, clutch, or transmission problems at all. I run straight 30wt non-detergent motor oil in the ZF-5's, and aside from some shifting challenges in cold weather with a cold engine, there are no ill effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsims

Members online