Front Hub - 1991 F350 4x2 Dually - How To Tell If Wheel Bearings Are Bad?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I brought Brownie to the shop last week to get it aligned. They said they couldn't align it because it was too sloppy and said I needed new wheel bearings.

I bought new wheel bearings and races, but I'd rather not change them out if I don't have to. I'm assuming I can just remove the hub and rotor assembly, inspect the races and bearings, and if all looks good, grease, re-assemble, and then call it good.

Doubt I'd see much wear on the bearings themselves, but if the races appear to be worn, that would be my cue to replace bearings and races, right?

Anyone know off the top of their head how much to tighten the nut to set the correct preload on the bearings?

Thanks,

Scott

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Jack up the front end so the wheel is off the ground.

Grab it at the top and bottom and try to rock the tire. Should be practically no movement at the hub.

Rotate the wheel, should be smooth with no abnormal binding. If there is, remove caliper and try again to verify its not the brake hanging up.

As for the preload, I don't know that off hand.

But this is a quick and easy way to tell if they're bad without opening it up. If all feels fine I'd send it.

Chances are the ball joints are worn.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, but if the spindle nut is loose, that could be the issue instead of worn bearings, right?

Pretty sure prior owner said he replaced the ball joints.

Thanks

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an alignment shop tell me that once too. They tightened the spindle nut all the way down and ended up destroying my bearings. Next time I'm just going to tell them to get it as close as they can....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger