IDI brings home a new international

dennis

Reaction score
remember these engines time on #8 plug. check if the air cleaner bolt is threaded into center of carb or held by a crossover bar over rhe throat of the carb. My point the center bolt for the air cleaner would be tightened down too tight and warp the top half of the carb. easy fix take off top half and measure with straight edge if warped it can be trued up. after straightening up don't reef down on it. Also the air cleaner housing need some bracing this was why it all started.
I can't believe I remenber all this crap it was 1977 my dad and brother both had travelall's. As I type I remember it was my dad's 1972 with 392. Good score.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, is that a rebuild kit or a wheel cyl?

-Jon

That is the wheel cylinder. It turns out my parts guy had the number, but none of his warehouses stocked it.
My rebuild kit will be here Monday and I will post the #. It is a wagner part number.
I hope I can get the rebuilds to work. The cylinder spent the night in carb dip with the carburetor parts.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would you post some new pics with out the forest/rats nest.

You mean wash it?cookoo
it looks just like it did when I picked it up, except we shoveled off the bed when we raised the dump.
I may wash it eventually, but the paint is shot and it is rusty. The lichen and moss kinda acts like camoflauge for the body cancer:rotflmao.
Its best side is its backside, dump bed and dana 70 and they both are gonna get worked this spring.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a rule of thumb about how much honing I can do on the wheel cylinders? They are looking pretty good now, but I had to work on them awhile with the hone and I had to use the dry hone to cut enough. I read on the internet that honing should only be done with brake fluid as lubricant.
I haven't rebuilt wheel cylinders since high school, and then I don't remember it being very successful.