ID which starter I have?

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without removing it from the truck?

Mine has started slowing down, and with the cooler mornings it is making me nervous. I was going to pick up a rebuild kit but I'm not use to having so many options for a starter.

Is there an easy way to tell the differences between them? Also are all the direct drives the same internally?

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I went and cleaned up the batteries and even tried to give them a boost with no difference.

And of course, the POS starter decided not to fire my truck while I am at work. Going to Pick up a Nipo and put it on in the parking lot.

edit: forgot to mention it is a Mitsu, damn thing doesn't even look that bad.

Last edited:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I went and cleaned up the batteries and even tried to give them a boost with no difference.

And of course, the POS starter decided not to fire my truck while I am at work. Going to Pick up a Nipo and put it on in the parking lot.

edit: forgot to mention it is a Mitsu, damn thing doesn't even look that bad.

The other stuff to check is a load test on the batteries as well as having your charging system checked. Just doing a voltage test on the battery when the truck running doesn't cut it. A charging system check will put a small load on the system to make sure the alternator is putting out enough amps. If after you load test the batteries and they are good then you should replace the starter. If you replace the starter and have bad batteries then the new starter will burn up in no time.

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to give it a boost while cranking and my past experiences as well as dinking with it led me to the starter as the most suspect.

Either way $185 out the door at NAPA for a Rebuilt, the only thing they had in stock at the main Warehouse in Grand Rapids. I was extremely surprised they only had that. They took my Mitsu as the core - $110 for it.

Bolted it on with 2 bolts so I could get home, damn it starts fast. Just a bump of the key and it is running.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they know what problem units the others are.:D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
It would still be a good idea to load test the bats.

If they drop below 10V after the 10-15 sec of load then they should be replaced. they might work fine now, but once it gets really cold and stays cold they will not work and or be reliable.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would still be a good idea to load test the bats.

If they drop below 10V after the 10-15 sec of load then they should be replaced. they might work fine now, but once it gets really cold and stays cold they will not work and or be reliable.

I agree. My last set of die hard golds would crank the truck once. If it did not start on the first try the batteries would be bad. Sears load tested them and I was standing right their watching them and they passed but I had them replace them under warranty anyway and had them install die hard platinum's. No problems since.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to give it a boost while cranking and my past experiences as well as dinking with it led me to the starter as the most suspect.

Either way $185 out the door at NAPA for a Rebuilt, the only thing they had in stock at the main Warehouse in Grand Rapids. I was extremely surprised they only had that. They took my Mitsu as the core - $110 for it.

Bolted it on with 2 bolts so I could get home, damn it starts fast. Just a bump of the key and it is running.

What design starter did they give you? Nippon denso or a Mitsu?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online