I want a recipe.....

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
If you were going to build a high HP daily driver with a 12 Valve what would you use and what HP level would your recipe produce?

My only restrictions would be that it has to be done WITHOUT "bottle feeding"
no nitrous or propane etc.

FWIW, I am gathering parts to build a truck that I will be able to pass down to my son (so I intend on keeping awhile) and it will be a conversion. Latemodel
blue oval 4x4 to mechanical Cummins.

Thanks in advance!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
For a daily driver that you can tow with and not really have to worry about much...

#10 Fuel Plate
3k GSK
AFC Spring Kit
330 or 370 injectors
3 piece high flow exhaust manifold
high flow exhaust
BHAF intake.
Boost Control Elbow - set to 30 psi.

This set up will make her pretty darn quick but not too far that you can't still tow with her when needed.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Travis,

I am thinking of something a little more extravagant, it will not tow much more than me around. I got plenty of other trucks for "towing", I will perform a complete overhaul with
some "upgraded" top end work to keep it together with a little added boost. I should be
able to fit a compound turbo setup in the "new" truck. good start though!

Thanks!

thirstyram

Reaction score
hey argve, I just picked up a "TURBO XS High Perf. Boost Controller. Is 30 pounds safe with a stock engine and a stock turbo? I've been wondering what to set it at. Thanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep, 30psi is basically the limit. Anything over that and the turbo will heat the air charge up so much that the intercooler can't cool it enough for the air charge to be usable. I played with mine quite a bit and 30 is where I settled on. You will still be able to blast past the magical 1250 limit everyone says not to cross but I have always taken the thought pattern that the pistons aren't sold alum they are actually an alum alloy so they don't melt at 1250 and then it takes time for them to soak up the heat, yes the air fuel charge is sitting at 1600 degrees but that doesn't mean the piston is at that temp. When I had my head off because the exhaust manifold lifted the front corner of the head my pistons did not show any signs of heat damage. I would blast past 1250 on a daily basis but I didn't hang out there for more than a min. I ended up just driving the truck how I felt and didn't pay any attention to the EGT gauge (Pyro) because if I stayed in her at the higher temps I would eventually be going so fast that I had to let off anyways because I was over 100mph and that kind of speed gets you a free night in county sponsored motel....

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think argve's recommendations are pretty sound. I guess what it really boils down to is how much of a little kid are you inside?

If you actually intend on keeping the rig awhile going balls out with the engine will just make you hate driving it after say 50K miles at the most. Plus I don't care how great Cummins engine's are it's very naive to think a 5.9 with a hot pump and twins will last a long time.

I've had 150HP daily drivers and 500HP daily drivers and I put 100fold the miles on the lower powered trucks because they were far more pleasant to drive and don't rack up tickets.

My recommendation is build something you will enjoy driving and your passengers will enjoy riding in for an 8 hour drive. Most women and children will be sick of a straight piped cummins after the first hour.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recipe would be a 215 pumped motor from a 96-98 5 speed truck for starters.

100 plate, modded and tuned AFC, 4K GSK, 18* timing, Smokems 5 x .012 injectors, 62/68/13ss turbo, HD springs, O-ringed and studded head. Would make for a very reliable, very efficient 500hp daily driver and tow vehicle combo. Throw a full 4 inch exhaust with a muffler on it so you're not annoyed on long trips.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
My recommendation is build something you will enjoy driving and your passengers will enjoy riding in for an 8 hour drive. Most women and children will be sick of a straight piped cummins after the first hour.

A straight piped, 5" stacked cummins used to sing my kids to sleep everytime.

They could barely last 20 minutes before the drone of the exhaust lulled them to sleep. We never had an angry baby in a cummins powered truck!
Wish I still had one.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
depends a lot on where the exhaust ends....

Exit out behind rear tire - sounded nice in the cab - you could talk over it while rolling down the road.

Exit out the stack - sounded nice in teh cab - you could talk over it while rolling down the road

Rusted out under cab/front of bed = LOUD.... got on my nerves....

All three options on my truck were straight piped.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I think argve's recommendations are pretty sound. I guess what it really boils down to is how much of a little kid are you inside?

If you actually intend on keeping the rig awhile going balls out with the engine will just make you hate driving it after say 50K miles at the most. Plus I don't care how great Cummins engine's are it's very naive to think a 5.9 with a hot pump and twins will last a long time.

I've had 150HP daily drivers and 500HP daily drivers and I put 100fold the miles on the lower powered trucks because they were far more pleasant to drive and don't rack up tickets.

You can have power and comfort. My 02 is the perfect example. The truck makes an honest 700+ rwhp get 19.6 mpg empty cruising at 65 mph and is plenty quiet. I drive the truck to central FL nearly every year for Christmas, often times draging a 16ft enclosed trailer.
Compound turbos help to quiet the exhaust and I run a 4" MBRP system with muffler. In addition to the muffler I have installed Dynamat in the entire truck. As for ride quality I used a Lorenz industries suspension with IR coils and Race Runner shocks. The number one downside to the truck is city driving, you have to be easy on the go pedal. Get too happy with the go pedal from a standing start (esp with a heavy trailer) and the people next to the tail pipe will not like you. Its all about spending the time and money to make the whole package work well together.
BTW, I am at 101,000 miles and am still using the factory installed head gasket. I have added ARP 2000 Series studs.

Sorry that this is off topic.
If you want to go all out contact these guys...
http://www.scheiddiesel.com/home_0.shtml
http://www.garmonsdieselperformance.com/
http://www.piersdiesel.com/

Also take a look at:
http://competitiondiesel.com/

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
A straight piped, 5" stacked cummins used to sing my kids to sleep everytime.

They could barely last 20 minutes before the drone of the exhaust lulled them to sleep. We never had an angry baby in a cummins powered truck!
Wish I still had one.

This is very true!! When I was much younger my parents had a Cummins powered ram that we took everywhere we went. I have plenty of memories of loving the sounds the 100% stock motor produced. I could lay down in the back seat and be happy and out in a hurry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online