i think my ip may be shot

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck for a drive today and i noticed at 2500 rpm it started to stumble and blow white smoke. At idle and driving around it runs fine just when I get her above that rpm it all goes bad. Any ideas? The truck has not been driven alot in the past year at all and I'm trying to get it roadable again. It starts a bit rough in the morning about an 8 second crank but after that it is fine it starts right up and my glow plugs are bad.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Check your fuel rate pre-ip at 2500 rpm under load. Very well could be a lift pump or fuel filter restricting flow when it's needed.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K that would make sense I have not changed my filter since I got it n have no clue how many miles r on it. Does lift pump have a diaphram

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yes and it can pump fuel into the crankcase. I highly recommend a fuel pressure gauge to let you know what you are dealing with.

BTW a 6.9/7.3 can run without a lift pump. HOWEVER it can stumble at high rpm or heavy throttle and it will wear it out very quickly.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I'm gonna vote for the ip being bad. My truck done the exact same thing. Changed the fuel filter and made it ALOT worse. The filter deffinitly needed changed so i would do that first. I changed my ip and all is good. Runs like a new truck.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K I will get parts n see what happens n post back thanks guys

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well changed filter no difference and noticed my back left injector leaking around the plastic piece for the return lines. would that cause this at all?? havent had a chance to round up a fuel guage yet but went n bought a mechanical fuel pump anyway i plan on installing in the next few days. been busy with work school and chaseing my 4 yrold.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well changed filter no difference and noticed my back left injector leaking around the plastic piece for the return lines. would that cause this at all?? havent had a chance to round up a fuel guage yet but went n bought a mechanical fuel pump anyway i plan on installing in the next few days. been busy with work school and chaseing my 4 yrold.

How many miles are on the truck?. Is it the original IP?. As for the line leaking around the plastic on the injector that is your return lines. You could get a kit to do it but you would be better off replacing the rubber hose in the kit with Viton. If you use the Viton hose don't forget to get the special Viton clamps.

The air leak along with your GP's being bad is causing the hard starts and the hard starts will only get worse as time goes on. If the truck has a lot of miles on it then your probably going to need a new IP and injectors, that is if they have not been changed already to your knowledge,

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor is a jasper rebuild with probably 80k on it Idk if they do anything with objectors or up when the do the rebuild I know why it starts hard but I've been plugging it in at not so on the first roll it starts everytime. Just lookin for the could bed before I go get an up and injectors cause its expensive and fiancee will be pissed

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor is a jasper rebuild with probably 80k on it Idk if they do anything with objectors or up when the do the rebuild I know why it starts hard but I've been plugging it in at not so on the first roll it starts everytime. Just lookin for the could bed before I go get an up and injectors cause its expensive and fiancee will be pissed

I think that would depend on if it is a short block, a long block or a complete running engine. Do you know what was installed?

If a short block or a long block then the IP and injectors are from the other engine and installed on that one.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know. All I found on it was the live dyno tag a plate on intake that says jasper n a serial number n address on oil cooler there is a jasper label on it also. Is there any way to tell or should I call

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know. All I found on it was the live dyno tag a plate on intake that says jasper n a serial number n address on oil cooler there is a jasper label on it also. Is there any way to tell or should I call

I would think that if you call Jasper with the serial number they should be able to tell you if it was a running engine or not. If they say it was not a running engine then be prepared to replace the injectors, IP and return lines.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No answer from jasper yet but had something happen. I kept gettin hounded for driving like a gpa and so I got on it a bit to c what would happen it made a loud pop and I heard a ting as if something hard hit something in my exhaust. Up side is there is no more smoke or stumble at high rpm. All I did was run Lucas through fuel 2 tanks worth and changed fuel filter and gave it Hell. Is this normal?