I think I tore it up (my rear end that is)

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I think I tore up my rear end.......

Soo.... Gunna try and make this long story short..... Last week I replaced the rear diff fluid in my truck because while trying to replace the ABS wheel speed sensor (on top of the diff) the whole thing cam apart and the little metal cup that it sat in fell into the diff. Simple, take all the bolts off, pull little metal cup up, clean cover and diff up, RTV it, let it set, fill er up and off we go. No problems there. Now upon looking inside it (I have no clue what I'm looking at) The tone ring had a chipped tooth, but I'm not too worried bout that, cause if my speedo still didn't work then fine, I wasn't rebuilding the rear end just for that. Fast forward.... today......

Fire the truck up, move it into the lower pasture so I can go to the top of the hill and get the tractor going again, it's been there since JULY. I put the 4x4 on because it's a pretty steep incline with loose rock.... I move the truck up the hill about 100 feet to the next gate, hop out..... diff fluid pouring out!!!! So now theres a hole in the diff cover, thought I coulda hit a rock, but no way, nothing near big enough to hurt that out there. I watched all the fluid pour out, and now I'm cussin up a storm -cuss-cuss Pulled the truck through the next gate, cause dayumit if it killed me that tractor was comign off the hill TODAY..... Heard some grinding and metal on metal back there. It wasn't much further so when I stopped, I took the cover off and..... There was a sheared off bolt in there and now the gash in the cover was about 4 inches long. :puke: The tone ring was sitting side ways, but not broken, and a bunch of bolts are backed out (the ones that hold the ring gear on) Now... in stupidity, they WERE like that the other day, I didn't touch them, they were all tight, and I didn't know any better, so I put it back together just like I found it. Moved the truck back down the hill, the drivers side has some shims stuck up in there by the carrier bearing? (forgive me, i have no idea what Im talking about really):dunno What in the heck should I do now?

By golly.... I got that john deere off that hillside........:rotflmao

Last edited:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I was gunna title it "I think I tore it up" but then you'd think I wrecked my truck......

I realllly don't have the money for this issue right now. I will try and get some pics...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Sam... I'm sure your rear-end is in great shape.. :D

The truck's rear-end is a different story..

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I think that rear needs to be put out to pasture. Its seen better days, and without allot of work will never see the road again.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in charleston wv, also i would give you the rearend you would need, but i would need your old one. dammit no way to word that without it sounding perverted. anyways, you would have to pay my gas and give me a place to stay for a night. to bad you dont live between maryville TN and fontana NC. then i would almost deliver for free

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one heck of a deal if ever I heard it. I have a 10.25 4.10 but it seems seized up. Don't really know if its in bad shape or not, but it ran when it came out of the truck. It would be yours for whatever it would cost to get it to you, if and only if its OK...just one more option.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay, ya'll are the best! I'm gunna get some pics of this deal tomorrow when I get home from work.... it's been dark here for a while.... Ya'll can see what ya think then...... I appreciate all the help! as always!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When something catastrophic like this occurs, be grateful that it happened close to home.

A break-down like that is a mere in-convenience out in the cow-pasture; whereas, out on the road, a thousand miles from home, with still a long ways to go, and with someone else's high-dollar cattle on board, the same break-down immediately becomes a disaster.

Has the ring-gear been messed with prior to the bolts backing out ??

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true and its not diesel specific, just needs to be out of an F-250 or F350, and since you have 4WD the gear ratio has to be matched. Make sure of this or more problems could occur.