I think I tore it up (my rear end that is)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam, if this will make you feel any better - I clearly remember reading that bolts backing out of the ring gear is one of the known issues with the Sterling axles, along with the axle shaft seals wearing out quicker than normal for a full floater.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a Sterling 10.25 with 3.55 gears, but I'm clear over on the West coast so that isn't going to help you much. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of other rare cases of sterling ring gear bolts coming loose. Just seems to be something you have to look out for. Complete rear axle assemblies aren't hard to find, but you might be able to salvage yours depending on the damage thats been done.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
if you didn't damage the axle housing, you should be able to throw in a new set of guts. iirc, ferd did something right for once with the pinion setting where a replacement 3rd member is a drop-in deal with no messy setting procedures. a buddy of mime does all my gearsets, I'll need to check with him in the morning.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
The ring gear itself looks okay. maybe a lil scuff, but nothing more. Everything from the ring gear over towards the drivers side is looking a lot like toast. Like I said I will get pics as soon as I get home today. It's probly been going on a while, but I wouldn't have had a clue....

Again, ya'll are a bunch of perverts!!!! I shoulda known better bout the thread title, obviously my mind wasn't in the gutter!!!!!!!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you just replace the carrier?

I've seen 10.25 carriers on ebay in the $50-70 range...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced one of those rear sensors too, and can't recal that there would be a way for something to fall down in there. Sounds like your case of the "runs" started before you went up the hill to get that tractor. It was just the incline and your opportunity to view it that you saw the problem. The coincidence between your opening it up, and having the problem is difficult to discount. If you left ANYTHING in there at all, it could account for what happened. We've got lots of rears that we are all axiously awaiting you to handle, so just reach out to the nearest one and grab it. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
We've got lots of rears that we are all axiously awaiting you to handle, so just reach out to the nearest one and grab it. LOL

:rotflmao
When Moosetradamus speaks everybody listens.LOL

Oh what the heck.

Sam I've got 2. :eek:

4:10 and 3:55.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of other rare cases of sterling ring gear bolts coming loose. Just seems to be something you have to look out for. Complete rear axle assemblies aren't hard to find, but you might be able to salvage yours depending on the damage thats been done.

I too have read this in a 4x4 magazine. It was one of those "Guide to junkyard axles" articles they all run from time to time. I hit mine with some red locktite when I did the Detroit diff swap for this very reason.

Lots of 10.25's out there. Shoud be able to get an entire axle for a cheap at a junk yard.

Heath

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm with Mel on this one. I don't really see where you could have dropped any parts in the hole when you changed sensors. It's a very straightforward operation--remove the bolt, pull off the hold-down clamp, yank out the sensor. When the hole is actually open and unguarded there should be nothing nearby to drop in. The hold-down clamp won't fit, and the bolt shouldn't be going anywhere close until the sensor and clamp are in place.

Anxiously awaiting those pictures you promised of your rear end. :thumbsup: (Sorry, the devil made me do it.)

Attachments

• butwiggle.gif
    butwiggle.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 134

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online