I need air...

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and we are half way there.

Got the system opened. Compressor is off the block. It has no oil in it. All of the oil is in the accumulator.

Here is my new parts list:
  • 3 x cans of R134a (36oz)
  • 1 x PAG 46 (8 oz)
  • O-Ring Kit
  • Heavy Duty Auto-Adjusting Orifice Tube
  • Accumulator/Drier
  • New Accessory Belt (might as well, while I'm there.. don't know how old this one is.)

Tomorrow I need to buy flush fluid and a disconnect tool in order to get to the orifice tool, and hopefully that should get me some stone cold air. :love:

We are making a trip to Clarksville, Arkansas to pickup a tandem bicycle, and by God, we are going to have cold air going up there.. :hail:rotflmao

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take back that stupid self adjusting orifice tube and get a regular one. You're guaranteed to be pulling it out in 2 weeks after it locks up. If your truck is like mine you will need 2.75 pounds (44oz) of R 134 a and 10 ounces of oil. This is assuming your original capacity was 3.25 pounds of R12. My truck is on the pump as I'm typing this. my Chinese compressor lost its compression

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sticker on my truck said maximum charge is 2 lb 12 oz (44oz), and I thought it would take 80-85% of R134a to get me there. Now you got me stumblin' over the more expensive orifice. Anyone else with bad experience with auto-adjusting orifice tube?

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I've had one in my truck for two years now and love it. Its not arctic air but it is a constant 50 degree, that's at 73° to 101° at 90% relitive humidity outside. That's also at idle and road speeds, the temp don't change.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I loved my VOV. I had duct temps around 34* on the low setting while driving down the road in 105* temps with high humidity. High fan speed brought it up to the mid to upper 30's. At night, when the humidity was higher, the cab got so cold that all the windows would fog on the outside (think ice cold water in a glass cup, condensation).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I didn't read that you were going to pull vacuum on the freon system before you recharged the freon. Please tell us your pulling vacuum before you recharge it. Removing the air also removes the water thats trapped in the air. A dry system will live longer.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on pulling the vacuum. I'll be checking for leaks 27 inHg of vacuum for 30 minuts...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'd like to hear more on the VOV's? I've heard both sides on them from members here I trust and am interested to hear why not to run them?

Working AC is a necessity in all rigs if you ask me. Your list looks good to me. I've also always charged R134 conversions to 80% of the R12 requirement. I've also had no issues not changing the drier, but they are cheap for these trucks so I would put that in as you have listed.

When I converted my 89 to R134 years ago I played with the cut off switch on the drier. I adjusted the pressure that it tripped at and thus had better a/c. I'm unsure if I turned it in or out. I'm sure I only did that at the recommendation of others who do a/c work all the time.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the factory ammount of oil charge for the compressor? My compressor's serial number is faded, and I figured 8oz would be a safe amount; based on google-foo.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Ok, feel free to do a picture intensive documentary on this. I want air too, don't know a damn thing about the system

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Ok, feel free to do a picture intensive documentary on this. I want air too, don't know a damn thing about the system

This. The only thing I need to finish to "bring my truck back" to being just like Gramps had it when he bought it new, is working AC. But I don't know the first thing...other than how to use it in the cab. :D

It blows, just not cold. I can hear something "activating" under the passenger-side dash when you turn it on / off.

-Justin

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor is cycling on and off (clutch engaging and disengaging) in order to prevent compressor from melting down. It means you have no refrigerant in the system. Pull a vacuum on it, and see if she holds.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed two VOV's and they both blew out after a couple of days. My low pressure was about 28 and the high side was about 250. I have heard about many others not having good experiences with these valves. With the regular setup I was getting 38 degrees out the vents. Stop and go traffic in this heat and pulling my trailor was the reason I tried the VOV's.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one disconnect the orifice tube line? I bought a quick disconnect tool from the parts store, but it is the wrong size. What tool should I be buying?