I need air...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just took a wrench, loosened that nut. Then I pried it apart somehow with just normal tools (I dont remember what, but it was something I have and I have just the basics). Then a pair of needle nose pliers got the orifice tube out.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine just randomly stopped working over the winter. I went to use it last week and bam! no cold air, it wasnt even semi cool. I had better results with the vent windows.

I went to get some charge stuff for it to find out I couldn't get r12 at the local parts store, so now I am trying to figure out what I need to convert over to 134a.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm half tempted to get an AC certification (I hear its stupid easy) and buy some R12. One fellow on craigslist has 18lbs of it for something like $225 which isnt super bad I dont think.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still don't know how to get the line off that connects into orifice tube line... the line spins freely.. there are no nuts.. it looks like ford quick disconnect line except its bigger.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have a set of 5 or 6 different sizes of those disconnects. Maybe I can swing by sometime and unhook that for you.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set from AA. I am so frustrated beyond belief trying to do two things at once. She is going to the shop tomorrow. I can't get the steering gear off.. The gear puller i bought does not fit. Can't get pitman linkage disconnected. I'll let the shop sort this out. I am week and a half into the project, with no end in sight. Oh well :)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
mine just randomly stopped working over the winter. I went to use it last week and bam! no cold air, it wasnt even semi cool. I had better results with the vent windows.

I went to get some charge stuff for it to find out I couldn't get r12 at the local parts store, so now I am trying to figure out what I need to convert over to 134a.
Look on the AC label if you still have it.
I don't know what year the changeover was, but my 94 came with r134a.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it supposed to evaporate like this, outside of the evaporator?

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's just condensation. Just like how a glass of ice water on a hot humid day will be wet on the outside.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up using the $3 dollar orifice tube, and the auto-adjusting tube was returned to the parts zone. The ambient temperature is 95F, and I am blowing 50F air on HIGH, MAX AC. Is this acceptable?
My AC line is not insulated. The insulation flaked off. I am hoping that adding some home depot line insulation will drop this temperature further to 40F.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 45 degree difference is pretty good.

And I am not the biggest fan of VRVs, I like to go with a standard high pressure/low pressure switch type system.

And always pull a vacuum to boil out the moisture in the system when you put it back together. But then I like to charge with some Nitrogen like I do home units and see how well it holds.

As for buying R12 from someone who you don't know personally and if the R12 is clean, you could be buying some very contaminated stuff which will make short work of your system if you try to install it. There are some alternative refrigerants you can put in the system without converting it all over to 134, but you have to work those drop ins by pressures and temperatures to charge it right. I'm not a fan of 134, but plan on going to it for ease of purchase of refills

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted my system to r134a, and at 95F I am blowing 50F air. Hoping it drops even further with some insulation work, and if I could only isolate the heater core... I am just afraid isolating the heater core is asking for trouble with stagnant coolant.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
People have been putting valves on the heater core hoses for a very long time. Even before you were born.
My dad did it when he was a kid, he's in his 50's.

Ford rangers come that way, a lot of other cars too.

You can also tint your windows. If you don't like tint, you can get a clear uv blocker.
Also use some insulation of the roof.
If you use that pipe insulation, go over than with aluminum ducting tape.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I got my AC checked out at Seeburg, they were running a deal. my high pressure line is shot and I have to replace it. I am thinking I am going to convert to 134 while I am at it.

anybody wanna guess what the repair bill was estimated at with them doing everything and getting all the parts?

anyways, does anyone have a list of things to get for the conversion? what is the difference between the red and blue orifice tube?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online