I bought a Truck!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Matthias!!!!;Sweet

My first vehicle was the '83 in my sig. It was Dad's old work truck and it had a bad 302. We rebuilt the engine together (I paid for the parts and machine work) and I drove that truck up until 3/06 when I started driving the IDI. It too was a project with Dad. What I'm trying to say is.....it is really cool to have a Dad like Mel to do this sort of thing with. You will learn a lot and will have a ball, plus you get to spend some quality time with your Dad. You'll likely keep that truck forever too.:D

Heath

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Yeh, we can go to the cone. Assuming I'm not working. Thanks for the cluster. I ordered the 2" lift- its "proformance accessory #822" The guy didn't know if it would fit a f150 w/ a diesel, but i figured we were planning on that.

You know you WILL absolutely drive the guys and gals in the big box auto supply stores crazy.
Make, model and year?
1994, Ford F150
What engine?
6.9 diesel.
Uh, sir, I don't show that engine for that model.
All I want is a heater motor.
Sir, I can't help you, my computer won't give me that information...
OK, its a 1994 Ford F150 with the 5.9 liter six, does your book list that?

Arrrrgggg.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know you WILL absolutely drive the guys and gals in the big box auto supply stores crazy.
Make, model and year?
1994, Ford F150
What engine?
6.9 diesel.

Arrrrgggg.
What he said :D I've found it easier to tell the parts counter guy that my truck has different equipment than it actually does. My local Ford dealer thinks I have a '94 IDI as well as my '84...

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on the license, the job, and the first vehicle!! After the 6.9l swap, you'll have over 4 times the horsepower that my first car had LOL :D

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Matthias congratulations on the job, license, and getting your really cool truck. I hope my 15 year old with the learners permit isn't watching me post this. OOps their goes the gas F-150 out front just kidding. Pictures lots of pictures when you get done. Do a project book before pictures and during and then completed pictures. Years down the road when you are old and grey and sitting on your porch you can get the book out and show your grandchildren. gsgIDI

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
You think that's tough?! try having a scout with a 3.3L Nissan diesel,ONLY ADVANCED LISTED IT! plus just stating the word INTERNATIONAL drew the deer in the headlight look...."uhh does ford make that?" "or is it a dumptruck?" NO NO NO GRRAHHH! ;Really now i just state it's a gasser (for brake parts or bearings) and i use a '86 f-350 for the 6.9.....it gets confusing keeping track! LOL cookoo wait till i get a pair or rears, a front from a '80's chevy, and a rear outta (probably) a ford van! haha :eek:

and about the TTB i know they're stout, i'm just use to seeing f-150's with the /--o-\ tire look from the bad ball joints, i figured a 6.9 may make quick work of them.... i know they're good in the woods for going fast, i've had my '93 Ranger doing 65 MPH dowh the power lines and dirt roads in town....smoooth as glass.. LOL ;Sweet :rotflmao

-Jon :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's too bad you are so far away, I have almost everything you listed above that you need...LOL....The F150 won't be bothered by the IDI, no different than adding a plow...Same weight.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Congratulations Matthias,
Looks like you had a busy week. It only going to get busier until the project is done! Looks good. If you need any help, feel free to give me a buzz. I showed Emma your truck. She said "Thats cool!" Im still working on getting her interested in my 1977 F250.
John

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say if you really want 4X4 couldn't you use a divorced transfer case like Big Rig Tech, provided you have all the other parts you need??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have all the stuff we need to make it 4X4, IF we wanted to keep the C6. 2WD ZF's seem pretty available right now, so we will probably go that route to fast track the project, and then back fill with 4X4 when a 4X4 ZF becomes available. Sticking with 2WD for now, will keep the project cost down (no driveshaft mods), and Matthias will need some time to save up more coin.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Sounds like an option. Getting the 5 spd will eliminate the need for an automatic trans cooling radiator to boot.

If you was going to put a autotragic in it. I myself would put a race car radiator in it, with a seperate cooler. Check out Competion Products, good prices on that stuff.

Now with that truck being 2WD and a short bed. Man you'd be pimpin if you had it lowered some with that diesel in it. Fat tires in the back little skinner up front. Big sways all the way around, with poly bushings. Nice set of rims, and all the chrome you can find......

You sir have a very fine ride to start with, the knowledge from your dad, and the will to build a VERY VERY awesome ride. Take your time on it, and you will get er done.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Just to give ya an idea of the power of a father/son project, here's before and afters of my first father son project. It's my brothers car, but we worked on it as a family, just like you are with your dad and brothers.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

There's allot of work there, and you've got a heads up compared to us, our dad hadnt built cars since the late 60's/early 70's. Your dad's still fresh! lol

And we've had many father/son projects since that mustang too.
Good luck to ya man! If you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask your pops, cus he's by far the most knowledgeable diesel guy I know.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make, model and year?
1994, Ford F150
What engine?
6.9 diesel.

Arrrrgggg.

LMAO!!!!!!! Been there many times!!!:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Lets see, 7.3L IDI type fuel filter, FL-1995 (powerstroke) oil filter.....E4OD transmission, its a mutt!!!! And then theres the diesel ranger.....

I say put the tallest gears in the rear and the 5 speed and see how fast it will go. Chances are you'll still get 18 MPG with the speedo pegged.:peelout

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
wow that thing's gonne be quite the hot rod, kinda like my '88 grand marquis i had when i was 16, it was a BURNOUT MACHINE! i burned more tired off that then i've had on all my vehicles combined! :rotflmao ;Sweet

and 6IDI's that mustang is sweet, that's my dream car, early mustang, engine in it that's way bigger than necessary, dark metallic blue and white stripes... mmmmm ;Sweet :hail

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online