hydroboost or rear disc

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***!?

Man you be hatin on the ninja tricks when werkn a ferd, Ninjas do it in the DARK!:hail
I dont heat the water anymore, just slowly roll em into place.

Javier
Negative, no hate for ninjas here - I myself am well versed in doing it in the dark, kinda comes natural when your eyes are permanently stuck in "night vision" mode and any bright light makes you feel quite vampiric, lol

But really, I suppose it depends on the size of o-rings you start with. The ones that came w/ any hose I ever bought were w/o exception way too small to install them your way. Always wondered would it kill the manufacturers to go one size up on them, so I don't have to stretch them so ungodly thin... The fact that the teflon o-ring sits in a groove that is smaller diameter than the treads the o-ring has to clear first in order to get there don't help the situation either.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another picture of the dual return inlet reservoir. This is an actual Ford replacement part and the part number is in the hydroboost tech article and is on the box in the picture. I ordered mine from a Ford parts dealer on ebay, abut you can also order from your local Ford dealer. My local dealer gives absolutley no discount on parts, so I either order the parts or go to another dealer in another town. The reservoir comes with the orings needed to do the installation. Also in the picture is the in line filter that Al is talking about. I think this filter is a good idea, and may make the system live longer. At any rate, it was only $12 off ebay and looks cool!
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    777.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbrumm

I see you have some eloquently priced (Ahem $$$pendy) power steering fluid. If you have not already done the swap, I might suggest you take some NEW cheap ass stuff first and flush the sytem with it prior to installing and using that nice stuff.

This works for anyone BTW...

If you have enought Normal PS fluid you can do a really good flush by capping the steering box return line nipple off completely, then running that return line into a bucket, and have a person help you running the truck and turning the wheel back and forth, while you fill the power steering reservoir continuously until only new fluid appears from the discharging return line. Stop the engine and drain the system and then re-connect the return line to the power steering reservoir top up with royal purple and be done.

Be carefull to not rev the engine too high and always keep fluid in that pump so be ready with lots of fluid to flush!!!!!

Just a thought....

Al

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al - thanks for your suggestion of the flush, and for detailing the the procedure for performing it! I will be doing that when I do my install. The RP fluid is expensive, but I look at it this way: The PS system is one that is pehaps the most "forgotten" or "neglected" system on the vehicle. Some people may actually do maintenance on it and actually flush it from time to time, but most I know do nothing more than make sure the fluid level is okay. Other wise, unless it is leaking or makes noise, it does not get attention. Now this PS system is not only providing power steering, but it is now providing the power for my braking system. I wanted some "good stuff" in there! Between the new parts, the filter you suggested, and the synthetic fluid, I am hoping that the system will perform well for a long time to come. "In for the penny, in for the pound". Thanks again for your valuable advice! Todd

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todd

One thing that makes the flush really easy on the PS pump, jack the front end up and block it off the ground so turning the wheels is a cinch, no effort at all. This just makes it really really easy. with no strain on the system.

Make sure if the old fluid is dark you purchase a clear fluid for flush thus once it's coming out clear your golden to drain the system and add in the RP fluid.

Don't forget the lines will hold a bit of fluid so it will have mostly new clean fluid and add in RP. If you can afford it flush with RP LOL then you've got the very best in the entire system.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think my budget is quite up to flushing with the RP, but at least I can get the old stuff out of there with the flushing procedure you describe. Then all the fluid will be new, and most of it will be RP! :sly

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
here is a good picture of the pedal pin difference between the superduty and regular trucks............

Here is the differences in the pedals. F450 F350 This is why the arm doesn't fit correctly on the f250-350 pedals. So for people that saying the pedal is the same, it is NOT! To correctly do hydroboost on a obs, better get the pedal too!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops - now wait a minute - I really am confused and some days that doesn't take much. So, my newly purchased Motorcaft booster that is listed specifically for my OBS 1994 F350 in the Ford parts book will not work properly unless I get a pedal assembly out of an OBS Superduty or purchase the rod adapter posted earlier, or chnage the pin location on the current pedal? I thought the earlier model trucks could not use an OBS booster because of the pedal differences, but I thought I was okay with a booster specifically for an OBS truck and it was a "bolt in"? That is disappointing news, but better I find out now rather than after I start the install. So, with a 1994 F350, I still need to purchase a pedal assembly from a 92-97 Superduty in order for the booster rod to line up with the pedal pin to work properly?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops - now wait a minute - I really am confused and some days that doesn't take much. So, my newly purchased Motorcaft booster that is listed specifically for my OBS 1994 F350 in the Ford parts book will not work properly unless I get a pedal assembly out of an OBS Superduty or purchase the rod adapter posted earlier, or chnage the pin location on the current pedal? I thought the earlier model trucks could not use an OBS booster because of the pedal differences, but I thought I was okay with a booster specifically for an OBS truck and it was a "bolt in"? That is disappointing news, but better I find out now rather than after I start the install. So, with a 1994 F350, I still need to purchase a pedal assembly from a 92-97 Superduty in order for the booster rod to line up with the pedal pin to work properly?

So it would seem, and so I believed all along having NOT done an OBS swap I could not offer any advise.

These images clearly show a significant difference between the two pin locations, as such I'd be thinking you may want to move that pin up.

Perhaps, more research is in order.....

Just thinking....

Al

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a good picture of the pedal pin difference between the superduty and regular trucks............
Ya know, this mess is getting old fast, so I went out and verified for myself - F-Superduty pedal has the pin about 2-1/4" below the pivot shaft, 1-ton has the pin 3" below the shaft, shaft appears to be around 1" diameter so add 1/2" for it to my numbers and you get that other person's centerline-to-centerline numbers. Any way you look at it, hydroboost pedal has the pin 3/4" closer to pivot shaft. Both trucks I measured are E4OD-equipped OBS.

So yeah, OBS have different pedals too. Just like bricks. Hey FORDF250XLT, are you reading this? Now you know why your hydroboost pedal feel sucks.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all you guys for your research efforts on this! This really helps all of us hydroboost "wannabees"! Well, the search for the FSuperduty pedal assembly or pedal rod adapter begins! So, just to be clear - ALL F250/F350's that orginally came equipped with the vacuum booster require brake pedal modification/replacement to mimic the FSuperduty configuration.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've never seen an OBS F350 w/ hydroboost. Regardless of what the parts book may say on it. Remember, this is also the same parts book that lists the same pedal assembly for F-Superduty and smaller trucks, when they are clearly different. Just cause the parts book is official don't meant it ain't got errors in it.

Can you use your new booster w/ your current pedal - that I don't know. Not w/o some numbers first. For instance, give me the vertical distance between the pushrod centerline and the line across the lower bolts that hold booster to firewall and pedal assembly - I can compare that to an F-Superduty, if your measurement comes up 3/4" shorter than mine then your booster sits 3/4" lower than the F-Superduty one and will therefore line up w/ you current pedal.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, LCAM-01XA! I noticed in the parts books that the pedal assemblies between all the trucks are listed as being the same too, but like you said, they clearly are not. Between that and some other information I have read on here and elsewhere, my understanding of all of this was that between the OBS F250/F350 and OBS FSuperduty, the brake pedal pin locations were the same. I probably just mis-understood. :dunno Anyway, I will try and get a measurement soon on the pin location in my truck and get that posted here. But I am betting that the pin location is not correct for the hydroboost. I can see why Ford would have made the pin location different between the vacuum booster and hydrobooster: it is simply a matter of leverage. The vacuum booster needs more leverage to operate than the hydroboost, so they placed the pin lower for that. Makes sense from a "physics" standpoint, but sure would have been easier on all of us if the pin location was the same on all of the trucks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks, all you guys for your research efforts on this! This really helps all of us hydroboost "wannabees"! Well, the search for the FSuperduty pedal assembly or pedal rod adapter begins! So, just to be clear - ALL F250/F350's that orginally came equipped with the vacuum booster require brake pedal modification/replacement to mimic the FSuperduty configuration.

Or you can just get a hydroboost unit out of a cheby suburban , then all you have to do is make some 2" spacer blocks to mount the booster out away from the firewall and some long bolts and it hooks right up without a fuss. No other modifications needed, at least on an OBS
Did have to cut a short jack shaft to fit in between the booster and the superduty MC to take up a gap, the rod coming out of the booster was a tad short which led to a low pedal , but that was easily solved,

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all parts ordered for my 1986 swap... i will be sure to take ALOT of pictures and do a write up when i get around to the install... hopefully that it will help alot of people and clear up some confusiion