How to polish a ****, for Dummies

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always figured it would be easy to start out with a support in good shape, and with some angle iron, flat bar, and other crafted pieces of steel that a person could make fit whatever needed to with some good welding. And of course some clean up afterwards and a coat of paint.

To me, that's what makes a genuinely custom vehicle. But I aquired that attitude by growing up broke and on a farm where scrap steel was always available and there was always a good welder on hand. So suffice it to say that I make (rebuild or repair) a lot more parts than I buy, and usually in a heavier gauge than what would be expected. It's a family trademark.

And though I've never tried LMC, but use their catalogs as a great source of information and what swaps with what. I HAVE used another aftermarket source of tins, from Browns of Two Rivers (http://cooltruckparts.com/). They are pretty good, though a little fitting is necessary. But I have years of experience with tin from my HVAC past, and all of the tools and experience I've aquired over the years have certainly helped.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
the "diesel" rad support for the 92-96s has the same issues as the older ones...its for a diesel but its NON-AC.

And there is another misconception. No such thing as a Diesel NON A/C support in the 92-97. If it has a Diesel, a/c or not then there is ONLY one support

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
And there is another misconception. No such thing as a Diesel NON A/C support in the 92-97. If it has a Diesel, a/c or not then there is ONLY one support

i was wondering about that myself. The one i have doesnt quite look like the gassers i replaced and doesnt quite look like my friends OBS PSD trucks either. the OBS PSD had AC. :dunno

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I used an 84 gas support in combination with my lower "diesel hoop" To make what I have now.

I'd recommend this way if you can't find a cheap correct one. It's a lot of spot welds to drill out, but it most certainly can be done. When you are ready to weld your two pieces together, put the radiator in; bolted in and everything. Tack it, remove the radiator, and finish welding. This insures a smooth radiator install. Trust me, i goofed the first time :p

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a repop one from my buddies body shop, 125.00 his price.. Definatly not going to be factory quality, but i dont have months to search for a good factory one. I need this truck done before the snow fly's...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ordered a repop one from my buddies body shop, 125.00 his price.. Definatly not going to be factory quality, but i dont have months to search for a good factory one. I need this truck done before the snow fly's...

Let me now when you get it. I can sandblast all that ****** black primer off, then you can take it to jeff and have him Variprime it and paint it

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me now when you get it. I can sandblast all that ****** black primer off, then you can take it to jeff and have him Variprime it and paint it

Already in the plans, the edp coting they put on aftmermarket parts is junk:puke:. I think jeff already got a decant sandblaster, if not i'll bring it your way... THANKS

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i went to get my support, they sent a gas one. Checked there site and they don't even offer a diesel support thru his supplier.. So back to square one, don't know what i'm going to do as of now..

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well i went to get my support, they sent a gas one. Checked there site and they don't even offer a diesel support thru his supplier.. So back to square one, don't know what i'm going to do as of now..

I say get a rad to fit your support. Call some JYs and see if they have anything

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Kinda late question, but just remembered and went to look.

You still have those dog dish hubcaps that are on the red vinyl seat in some of the first pics?

Are they in good shape?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say get a rad to fit your support. Call some JYs and see if they have anything

What i decided i'm going to do is modifie a gas rad support, and run that with my existing rad just untill i get the truck done and the bugs worked out. Then come spring i'll buy a new A/C rad and swap the correct support back in and then i can put all the a/c parts i saved from the parts truck on and get the a/c wrking for the summer...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online