How to find out what rear end I have?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Everyone says there's a tag on the rear end but the only tag I can find is bolted on to the pumpkin under one of the bolts. And it has no ratios for rear ends on it. Is the tag on the axle itself? Or where specifically?

gandalf

Reaction score
I believe that tag under a bolt on the pumpkin should tell you what ratio axle you have. Can you post exactly what is on the tag? Another method would be to look on the door tag. That should give you an axle code. Then all you have to do is translate.

Here's a web site which might help.

What axle do I have

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah door tag will show an axle code- that is teh easiet way to find out; unless someone swapped rear ends at one point obviously.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like 3.55 ratio to me. You can mark your drive shaft, roll the truck forward one true revolution and count the reruns on the drive shaft to confirm. Count the bolt hole in the pumpkin to confirm it is a Stirling

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your teeth won't rattle out of your head while doing 65 on the freeway. You will"want" and not"need"a zf5 swap.
You don't have short gears so it takes more work to get a heavy trailer going.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use a mirror to see what rear end you have....LOL:sly:angel: Just funnen with ya... Your tag tells me the gears are 3.55. Those are high mileage gears. Not really ment for heavy towing but they work well. I have that set in my rig. Because I have the Gear Vendors I would like a set of 4.10. Being able to split every forward gear helps with towing but it wont help the first geat start from a stop. Its nice having 8 forward gears to choose from. RLDSL has 15 forward gears to choose from and three reverse gears... This is because he has that aux three speed trans behind his ZF 5 speed. When he was out here in cali I helped him change oil and free up the stuck aux trans shift links... Nice rig too.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
That's kind of ironic becuase I always thought I had really low gears because 1st gear only takes you to about 10 or 15mph (if your really making it scream) and second is about 25-30 and you gotta shift, thirds about 45-50 and in 4th gear going 65mph on a flat its running 2500rpm. So I always thought that was kinda slow. But I guess not haha

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because with 4.10 gears my engine spins about 20 percent faster than a similar truck with 3.55 gears

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kind of ironic becuase I always thought I had really low gears because 1st gear only takes you to about 10 or 15mph (if your really making it scream) and second is about 25-30 and you gotta shift, thirds about 45-50 and in 4th gear going 65mph on a flat its running 2500rpm. So I always thought that was kinda slow. But I guess not haha

That 1st gear will seem pretty dang tall trying to start on a hill with 8-9K pounds behind it!

I've got 3.55's in my F350, but, I've also got an underdrive unit between the ZF5 and the T-case. It's gives me a 20% reduction in gearing. Love that thing when hauling, but, I get to keep the 3.55's for fuel mileage when driving empty.

Heath