how the heck to a read one of these!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i finally got my test strips for the sca's, but before i test the sca's in my truck and two parts trucks i need to know how to read them, dont understand these things, how do i now when to add sca's or change the anti-freeze??

You must be registered for see images attach

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You take the moly reading and extend it across the chart. Take the nitrite reading and extend it up the chart. If they intersect in the green your good to go.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they intersect n the green?? but why's it say servis in the green area?? sorry about the dumb questions, it's just i still dont even knw what sca's are.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service means it's within the serviceable limits. The lower left means it's at the precharge level, and the upper right, test area means it's out of limits. You want your test to come out in the green, service area.

The coolant additives prevent cavitation and erosion of the coolant side of the cylinders. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT if you're running a 7.3! If it is not kept at proper levels, liner erosion will occur and allow coolant into the cylinders resulting in a pretty expensive repair.

Just dip the test strip into the coolant like it says, let it soak for the time stated and then match up the color on the strip with the color on the chart, paying attention to match the moly reading with the moly chart and so on.

If they're low, add Ford approved additive until it's within range. Just one little thing you have to do for a diesel you don't for a gasser.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok whats the correct additive and where can it be bought. becouse thats another peice of info i cant locate.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walk into any Ford dealership and ask for it. They'll know and give you what you need. If I remember, it's about 6 bucks a bottle. How many bottles you need depends on the readings you get.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Shouldda asked at where ever You got Your test strips at. They would prolly have it. I get My test strips/additive at the local IH dealer.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I was able to pick up a case of the Penncool 3500 from an IH dealer for a good price. They won't stock most likely though.

I like the specs on that stuff in relation to our thin 7.3l cylinder walls.