How much do you guys think this is worth?

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a ad on craigslist for a local diesel repair shop around here that was selling a IDI turbo kit. The ad gave no other details about the kit so i called the shop to ask a few questions...the guy i talked to knew nothing about the kit or who ATS was. After explaining to him that i wanted a 093 factory turbo kit he went to look at the turbo and tell me if it was wastegated or not. Turns out it was so i knew it must be a 093 kit. He told me on the phone many times that it was a complete kit and they wanted $750 CDN for it which i figured was a really good deal.

I went to look at the kit and turns out all they have is the turbo, 2 piece up pipe, intake hat, cdr, some rubber hose i assume is for cdr. I was just wondering what you guys think the stuff is worth? I dont think it is worth the $750 they want for it.

As far as i can tell it is missing the downpipe, crossover pipe, and intake box. I told the guy that this isnt a complete kit and he tells me that the exhaust(downpipe and crossover) arent really part of the turbo kit!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id tell him he's full of crap on both the price and his knowledge of the system and keep looking. Heck, I know where there are two 94 idi's with the stock 093 turbo setups for 350 bucks each. If I had the cash Id probably go and pick one up.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i think im going to do is take a print out of the diagram of the 093 kit with me to the shop and explain to the guy that this is what a complete kit looks like and explain that they are missing some key parts of the kit. Then make him a offer on what they have. If he says no then i will tell him where to go and walk away. I just need to know what to offer. Oh ya and the box that the turbo is in says "Complete IDI turbo kit $1500" on the front...the guy even commented on how it was forsale at some point for 1500 and now they dropped it to 750! I think he was trying to make me think i was getting a good deal.

Its missing the downpipe but it would be the stock flat downpipe which i wouldnt use anyway because i would install the upgrade. And its missing the air box but i wasnt planning on using that either...i would run some pipe to the inner fender or something and install a filter there. And ive got the tools and experience to fab up my own crossover pipe.

Or...ill give you $350 plus shipping to go get me one of those factory kits you know about...and ill obviously give you something for your time;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Without all of that stuff, he's got like a $100-$150 kit there, Im assuming it doesnt come with the CDR valve cover, nor the pedistal. All joking aside, I gave $125 for my 088 kit when I got it, and it was COMPLETE and clean. The turbo was worn out and the air box had broken latches, but I knew it was worth more than what I gave for it just because it was complete.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Ill find the number of the guy with the kit for 350. I know I have it saved in my email its just a matter of finding.

One of the reasons I hadnt picked it up is because its two hours south of me in tampa and my diesel jetta hasnt been running lately.

Hopefully when scrap turns around Ill have some extra cash again. Im running out of place to store all of the old medical equipment I have.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
....and does it have the pedestal, oil feed line, Y pipe for the passenger side.... For cryin' out loud what exactly is they guy selling in this " complete" kit, far as I can tell, it's missing most of the parts, I'd walk and keep looking. This clown is wanting $750 for just a turbo , up pipe and a snail and you'll spend three times that gathering up the rest of the parts piece by piece cookoo You could keep looking and buy a REAL complete turbo kit for that price or less and be done with it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me find the numbers and give the guys a call. Last I checked they wouldnt ship and the systems would have to be picked up locally. This isnt really a problem seeing, Ill just borrow my dads tdi, that dang thing gets 58-59 to the gallon!

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without all of that stuff, he's got like a $100-$150 kit there, Im assuming it doesnt come with the CDR valve cover, nor the pedistal. All joking aside, I gave $125 for my 088 kit when I got it, and it was COMPLETE and clean. The turbo was worn out and the air box had broken latches, but I knew it was worth more than what I gave for it just because it was complete.

It doesnt have the CDR valve cover. But it does have the pedistal.

Yeah, Ill find the number of the guy with the kit for 350. I know I have it saved in my email its just a matter of finding.

One of the reasons I hadnt picked it up is because its two hours south of me in tampa and my diesel jetta hasnt been running lately.

Hopefully when scrap turns around Ill have some extra cash again. Im running out of place to store all of the old medical equipment I have.

Well im serious...if you have some spare time on your hands and would be willing to help me get that turbo kit im sure we could work something out.

....and does it have the pedestal, oil feed line, Y pipe for the passenger side.... For cryin' out loud what exactly is they guy selling in this " complete" kit, far as I can tell, it's missing most of the parts, I'd walk and keep looking. This clown is wanting $750 for just a turbo , up pipe and a snail and you'll spend three times that gathering up the rest of the parts piece by piece cookoo You could keep looking and buy a REAL complete turbo kit for that price or less and be done with it.

Yes has the pedestal, oil line, y pipe for pass side up pipe.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Just FYI, ATS has pretty much abandoned any support for the IDI turbo setup.

If You don't get a complete kit. Good luck with getting anything outta ATS

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, ATS has pretty much abandoned any support for the IDI turbo setup.

If You don't get a complete kit. Good luck with getting anything outta ATS

Yeah im aware of that. I remember a thread from awhile back where someone knew of a guy in oregon that could get parts for the ATS kits. I called and talked to him and he told me he can get lots of parts for the 093 kit but nothing for the 088 or 085. So when i find a 093 kit ill be calling him for any parts i need and anything he cant get ill have to fab up.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 088 kit for $200 but no cross over pipe or down pipe. Fine by me because I made the new exhuast completely out of stainless steel.
I also had to hunt and peck around until I could find an intake hat O ring seal for my kit since it didn't come with one. Turns out a local hydraulic shop had what I needed for less than $5.

$750 is way to much. Thats practically retail pricing. If he is trying to make you feel like you are getting a good deal on top of that, he is not likely to back down by much on the price. I've dealt with his type before (we all have at one time or another LOL).

You can show him the info, drop him an offer for less than $300 and walk away. You owe him nothing better.

It is possible to make that kit work if you can make the cross over pipe and down pipe. Having the pedistal and oil line is good, but it would be better if it came with the valve cover. Again, you can mod your valve cover or route crank case fumes from the gear cover up front.

Not worth the trouble at $750 though.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I'd walk in. Hand the man the info. (with my phone number on it).Tell him what your willing to pay for it(less than $300). Tell him if he's willing to sell it for that to call me. End of story.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day when i was there looking at the kit i told the guy i would let him know by this saturday and he pulled the usual "well we have another person interested in it but ill hold it for you till saturday" So ill probably head over there on saturday and hand him the 093 kit diagram showing which parts they have and which parts they dont....tell him $750 is way over priced...especially when i just saw a complete 093 kit go for $800 buy it now on ebay a few weeks ago. Offer him $300 and he will probably laugh at me and bring up the other person thats interested again and ill just say well if the other guy doesnt take it and you still want to get rid of it give me a call and leave my number with him. I bet ill get a phone call a little while down the road letting me know they still have it if interested.