How about a turbo into a charger stock

tractorman86

Reaction score
I drove a potato truck with a 8v-92, fun truck to drive, i was going up a steep hill to a field and stalled the truck, i forgot to push in the clutch and it started rolling back, guess what, those engines will run in reverse, scared the s**t outta me, all this black smoke come pouring out the intake. loud as hell to, got her shut down by dumping the clutch in a high gear. then started back up and drove away. anybody else have one start in reverse before?

LOL never happened to me but I have heard of even 855 cummins doing the same thing

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody explain to me how that would work. My understanding of the blower is that there are two "gears" if you will that are real long that mash the air in. They are mechanically linked to the drive belt. Would there always be a negative presure or a positive presure under the turbo?

If I ever get a serpentine belt system I'm going to finish my super-turbo on my truck. It's going to be the same kind of set up, but with a t70 and an m62.

The blower itself will make 6psi, or a pressure ratio of 1.48:1 (at my elevation)
The turbo will be able to flow 45psi worth of air. At this boost level (I won't be using that muchLOL), There will be a boost pressure of 26.38psi between the blower and intake, and 45psi between the turbo and engine. There will be no pressure relief valve on mine:eek:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I drove a potato truck with a 8v-92, fun truck to drive, i was going up a steep hill to a field and stalled the truck, i forgot to push in the clutch and it started rolling back, guess what, those engines will run in reverse, scared the s**t outta me, all this black smoke come pouring out the intake. loud as hell to, got her shut down by dumping the clutch in a high gear. then started back up and drove away. anybody else have one start in reverse before?

Any mechanical diesel has the potential to do it, and it usually scares the hell out of the operator.
P.S. Gas two strokes can do it to, ever see a sled with push button reverse? Or my personal favorite, a chainsaw running backwards?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any mechanical diesel has the potential to do it, and it usually scares the hell out of the operator.
P.S. Gas two strokes can do it to, ever see a sled with push button reverse? Or my personal favorite, a chainsaw running backwards?

OH yeah you havent lived till a Hodaka starts on a kickback in reverse and the rider revs it and dumps the clutch to race buddies up a hill, and the damn thing nuts you with that HUGE chrome fuel tank and cap.

Dont ask.:backoff

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ever get a serpentine belt system I'm going to finish my super-turbo on my truck. It's going to be the same kind of set up, but with a t70 and an m62.

The blower itself will make 6psi, or a pressure ratio of 1.48:1 (at my elevation)
The turbo will be able to flow 45psi worth of air. At this boost level (I won't be using that muchLOL), There will be a boost pressure of 26.38psi between the blower and intake, and 45psi between the turbo and engine. There will be no pressure relief valve on mine:eek:

Ok I'm confused about your setup. You said "There will be a boost pressure of 26.38psi between the blower and intake, and 45psi between the turbo and engine." So will it be a turbo blowing into the SC then the SC blowing into the engine? So by "intake" you mean the filter right? So going from the turbo to the SC it will be 26.38psi and total boost would be 45psi? Is that correct?

Also, you said "I won't be using that muchLOL" when you were talking about the it being able to push 45psi. How will you keep the boost regulated? Just curious about your thoughts. You could always add an external waste gate to regulate the turbo or maybe even a blow off valve on the positive side to regualte the total overall boost. Idk just some ideas...;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had a DT466 try to stall, so I have it a blast of fuel and it rattled, almost shut down for a second....and then I had 6 reverse gears and ONE forward one. Thank GOD for the mechanical fuel shutdowns!!

The downfall and REAL killer is when it runs backwards, the oil pump isn't pulling oil from the pan anymore!

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused about your setup. You said "There will be a boost pressure of 26.38psi between the blower and intake, and 45psi between the turbo and engine." So will it be a turbo blowing into the SC then the SC blowing into the engine? So by "intake" you mean the filter right? So going from the turbo to the SC it will be 26.38psi and total boost would be 45psi? Is that correct?

Also, you said "I won't be using that muchLOL" when you were talking about the it being able to push 45psi. How will you keep the boost regulated? Just curious about your thoughts. You could always add an external waste gate to regulate the turbo or maybe even a blow off valve on the positive side to regualte the total overall boost. Idk just some ideas...;Sweet

That was a typo, "intake" means turbo.;Sweet

As for the waste gate, this is what I use...

http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-A...=sr_1_2?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1318460887&sr=1-2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance