home made air intake

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I saw this home made air intake . thinking about making one for my truck what do yall think about it ?

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 322

Whit

Reaction score
Holy Crap, ya think he needs all that air? I wonder if there is some kinda air collision (turbulance)going on at the Y

Cheers, Kevin

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I don't know . but it looks cool but I wonder about the air
turbulance too.do ya think I should try to make one for my ride
or what . does anyone here know if the y causes a turbulance or not :confused: :thanks:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
did it say where the other batt-ree went? I like Whitmore's setup or the Scotty II much better. Cold air from outside the engine room is key.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's feeding twins....

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
yeah it's feeding twins - but Iam just feeding one is this to much air for a stock setup. it's geting air from the hole were the stock airbox sat and it looks like he as a hole cut in the firewall like for a scotty II.

Whit

Reaction score
If yer only feeding one compressor ya dont need two elements, I cant remember the numbers now but I read an article 2 years ago about the BHAF and it would supply alot more air than you could use. If you are rumming twins and want more volumn of filtered air the key would be to go say a 6" filter and piping and just before the piping commects to the compressor have a reducer. See the following pic for an example of mass air flow available to use , Keep in mind that millions of dollars was spent on engineering

Attachments

• mvc-021x.jpg
    mvc-021x.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 190

MYTRNx3

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Reaction score
That definately looks cool...

I have one of the scotty air II's and I love it. I dont' have gauges to find out what the difference is on the EGT's, but noticed a bit of a performance difference with getting that cool air in. Wind him up good and (as Lary says) sounds like the turbo is going to suck the change out of the glove box...

ob1kobi

Reaction score
Did you get to talk with the owner and see it it made any difference? I have been asking around about making a similiar type of setup, but not with PVC pipe. I don't see how it could hurt anything, and it looks like there is still a smooth entry into the turbo, so I would think that twins, or big singles could maybe see some benefit.

Ted

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
here's my take, but like said in another thread...I'm not an engineer, I'm an internet doctor LOL

when the air coming in the direction of the red arrows collides with the dark green arrows, it will actually slow the air coming in (decrease flow) its also harder for fluids to make bends like that. Y tubes are good for making vaccuums.

Attachments

• turbulance.JPG
    turbulance.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 41

ob1kobi

Reaction score
I see your point and it does make sense to me. I was thinking, that there would basically be a larger "pool" of air for the turbo to suck from, so that the turbulence created at the bend wouldn't matter. I guess if there were seperate pipes that merged into one would be better though.

Ted

Timbeaux38

Beer Joint Superstar
Reaction score
I bet that if you ran duals, one element would get dirty lots faster than the other, as TnT pointed out. I see no reason to have it other thanit looks cool and would impress gasser boys

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree one filter should be blenty of air,even for duals. But it does look cool though.

Last edited: