HOLLEY RED PUMP ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get an external regulator that has a free flow bypass back to the tank that allows the pump to run full tilt instead of running up against it's regulator spring all the time it will be quieter and will last a whole lot longer. Downside is those regulators cost a fortune, and for the price difference you could have just bought a better quality pump that was designed more for the application.

Here is the one that a lot of the Dodge/Cummins crowd are using with good success :

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-211/SimFlo-Bypass-Regulator/Detail

Thanks for the input about the pumps internal regulating system causing their early demise.

I will employ one of these regulators downstream of the pump, probably downstream of all the filters, so that they get full advantage of the pressure.

Should I then remove the pumps internal regulator ??

Thanks.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Holleys are pretty darn loud even when isolated.

That's the thing, mine is mounted solid to the frame. NO RUBBER. The only time I can hear the pump is when I have it running when the truck is off. If you can hear it with the truck running..........I'd think something may be abnormal.:dunno

Heath

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
RLDSL, I remember you saying that you mounted your Facet up in the engine compartment for easy access. Then you also mentioned that you mounted your Facet in the same spot your holley was. Did you have your holley pump pretty far from the tanks as well? Was it flooded suction or did it have to lift a lot?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here is the one that a lot of the Dodge/Cummins crowd are using with good success :

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-211/SimFlo-Bypass-Regulator/Detail

Thanks for the input about the pumps internal regulating system causing their early demise.

I will employ one of these regulators downstream of the pump, probably downstream of all the filters, so that they get full advantage of the pressure.

Should I then remove the pumps internal regulator ??

Thanks.

Unfortunately that thing isn't going to do you a bit of good. the cutout pressure is higher than the pump cutout pressure .
What you need is something like this You can adjust that regulator to the proper fuel inlet pressure for the injection pump and there is no need to touch anything on the holly, it will just run full tilt with no load. whatever isn't being used just get's bybassed back into the return line, and that way you don't have to listen to the limit spring and plunger constantly whacking itself to death and the pump motor loading down and the pump motor will run much cooler and last longer, and when you consider that the electric parts on the holley motor are sendum back to the factory and pay for the rebuild item, ( reason I pitched mine and went looking for something better when they told me that) you want to make that sucker last as long as you can.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL, I remember you saying that you mounted your Facet up in the engine compartment for easy access. Then you also mentioned that you mounted your Facet in the same spot your holley was. Did you have your holley pump pretty far from the tanks as well? Was it flooded suction or did it have to lift a lot?

Previous owner had thought the mechanical pump was getting weak so he plumbed a holley blue in after the mechanical pump ( ye haw ) so it wasn't lifting any, just boosting the pressure ( really the injection pump was shot ). When that holley folded I ditched the whole works ( all previous pumps )and put the Facet in.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Previous owner had thought the mechanical pump was getting weak so he plumbed a holley blue in after the mechanical pump ( ye haw ) so it wasn't lifting any, just boosting the pressure ( really the injection pump was shot ). When that holley folded I ditched the whole works ( all previous pumps )and put the Facet in.

hmmm, if the holley is a stronger faster pump than the mech pump, it seems to me like the holley plumbed in after the lift pump was doing all the work. Isn't the mech pump just two check valves and a diaphragm? if the holley is stronger, it seems to me like the fuel would just be cruisin' through those check valves with a little diaphragm next to it wiggling around.

Just trying to think it out.

i'm just saying cause if that's the case then maybe you and I both had exceptionally loud holley pumps

Actually...RLDSL do you remember the part number of the facet pump at the dealer and is any international dealer a carrier dealer? What's the difference?

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
hmmm, if the holley is a stronger faster pump than the mech pump, it seems to me like the holley plumbed in after the lift pump was doing all the work. Isn't the mech pump just two check valves and a diaphragm? if the holley is stronger, it seems to me like the fuel would just be cruisin' through those check valves with a little diaphragm next to it wiggling around.

Just trying to think it out.

i'm just saying cause if that's the case then maybe you and I both had exceptionally loud holley pumps

I've delt with Holleys in many performance applications and they've all been noisy and never worked very well . I wouldn't buy one new. I used to get the Mallory pumps for the go fast stuff. Quieter and much easier to work on and you can get ALL of the parts for them without a fuss. You can rebuild one of those things on the side of the road in about 5 minutes, so no need to carry a spare pump, just some brushes and a few other spare parts.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
can i get the facet pump from the international dealer near me?

No but you can get them at any Carrier Transicold or Thermoking dealer. They are the factory lift pumps on he new ****** units. There's a guy on ebay selling the things for about half the price though ;Sweet dig around for a recent thread

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
yeah I saw that posting. I don't want to wait for it to ship. I'm heading out on a trip in a couple days. Might end up just rollin' with the holley for now.

thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yeah I saw that posting. I don't want to wait for it to ship. I'm heading out on a trip in a couple days. Might end up just rollin' with the holley for now.

thanks

Like I said, any Carrier or Thermoking dealer would have the things. Those places are usually more common that you might think. Carrier has a great dealer locator online, haven't tried thermoking, but I bet they do too. When you have a load of frozen food thawing out on you , you want to be able to find help FAST ( been there got the friggen t shirt )

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong; but, it seems like my local Advance Auto carries most of the FACET pump line.

tractorman86

Reaction score
the only facet pump i know anything about is the little cheep over priced POS that checker carries.
on edit that dosen't make much sence scratch the cheep part

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I just installed a Parts Master, electric diaphram pump on my truck. Yesterday as a matter of fact. Its quiet so far, and I started my truck today without ether or glow plugs, and only 6-7 seconds of cranking. I thought I might have an air leak in my system, draining fuel once it sat all night. Now the system primes right up. I'll keep you posted on the service and reliability of the pump.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I might have an air leak in my system, draining fuel once it sat all night.

I have seen numerous IDI engines that will fire right up, idle about ten seconds, then die; after that, not even s stick of dynamite will start them, until they bring the fuel back up from the tank.

I honestly believe the old IDIs are more plagued by this syndrome than any other vehicle ever made.

As you have found out, there are two fixes for this:

Install a check-valve between lift-pump and filter; and, install an electric pump that can be called upon to pre-charge the fuel system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314