HOLLEY RED PUMP ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a HOLLEY RED electric fuel-pump at a recent swap-meet.

I already checked it out and it works good as new, as in it will suck a five-gallon can of fuel dry in a matter of seconds; not bad for twenty-bucks.:thumbsup:

I know a lot of you guys use the Holley RED; can someone post a picture of the internals, in case I ever have need to be in there ??

Question :
Which is correct mounting procedure, motor on top above fuel inlets/outlets, or motor hanging below ??

Question:
What is factory pre-set pressure on these pumps and is it user-adjustable ??

Question:
Right beside the inlet is a slotted-head screw or plug or somesuch; what is this and what does it do ??

Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mount it with the motor on top and the inlet will be on the back side facing the tanks. The slotted screw has the pressure valve and spring in it. They are preset for 4 to 7 lbs. Yes, you could increase or decrease the pressure by changing or stretching the spring but why? It works fine with the factory setting. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the internals. I have removed the coverand found 4 wafers in the disc that spins the fluid out. Its really a simple displacement pump. They are noisey but work fine for years. The motor has a very strong magnet in it. My pump wore out the armeture and brushes after about 7 years of use.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Holley pumps are great, I used one for several years. There is a screen inside that I remove bc it get clogged very fast and if You use alternative fuels it disintegrates in pieces I much rather use a filter before the pump.
I think they are set to 10psi and no there is no regulator. They maintain the fuel pressure very well although I don't feel they pump as fast as they push the fuel.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idea for this pump is as a by-pass emergency back-up that can also be called on to boost things a little, should the need arise.

I plan to route a by-pass line through this pump and back into the main-fuel line, with both legs protected against the other via check-valves.

At the mechanical lift-pump, another check-valved by-pass line will carry the fuel around there; thus, all that is required is the flip of a switch to bring the electric-pump into play.:thumbsup:

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
My idea for this pump is as a by-pass emergency back-up that can also be called on to boost things a little, should the need arise.

I plan to route a by-pass line through this pump and back into the main-fuel line, with both legs protected against the other via check-valves.

At the mechanical lift-pump, another check-valved by-pass line will carry the fuel around there; thus, all that is required is the flip of a switch to bring the electric-pump into play.:thumbsup:

I think your plan is good. I just got the pump as well and I cannot believe how noisy it is. I'm very frustrated because I've been working hard at quieting my van down (door seals, engine cover seal, fixing all my squeaks and rattles, and now I installed the pump and it's ridiculously loud. I'll tell ya that right there is where the mechanical pump does a better job. An electric pump in parallel is the way to go.

Also, you might not need a check valve after the mechanical pump since that's pretty much all the mech pump is is a diaphragm and two check valves

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The facet pump and even the purolator pumps You get at advance autoparts for $35 are quieter. I never mind the holley for all the time I used it, now is a spare I have on the truck in case the facet pump quits.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
I may be able to quiet it still by adding some extra rubber and such to dampen out some vibrations. Right now it doesn't have much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mount the pump using rubber grommets and a rubber backing plate, it is significantly quieter. Most of the sound comes from the guitar, not the strings. LOL

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Dude, how can you hear that thing? With the truck off it is suprisingly audible, but I cannot even come close to hearing it with the truck running.LOL

Heath

I dunno...maybe something's wrong with mine. I have mine mounted to the frame pretty close up to the engine. I know that's supposed to be worse than having it close to the tank...maybe that's why mine's so loud. Once I'm on the highway I can't hear it as well, but sitting at a stop light I'm watching peoples heads turn.

tractorman86

Reaction score
that's gotta be it, mine's like heaths, i can't hardley hear mine even at an idle but shut the truck off and not the pump and it sounds like it is going to blow up!

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
i don't know why it would be so much louder just being a few more feet away from the tanks. Once its is primed I feel like it shouldn't make a difference. I'm going to try some thicker rubber first and see if that helps. The truck is running really well otherwise.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Those Holleys are pretty darn loud even when isolated . the one I had before it melted down was mounted the same as my Facet pump . I can't hear the Facet with the engine running, but that Holley always had a pretty hefty drone to it.
A lot of the noise on speed shop e pumps is the internal bypass springs. If you get an external regulator that has a free flow bypass back to the tank that allows the pump to run full tilt instead of running up against it's regulator spring all the time it will be quieter and will last a whole lot longer. Downside is those regulators cost a fortune, and for the price difference you could have just bought a better quality pump that was designed more for the application.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
man, that's unfortunate. Well...live and learn.

I tried some rubber. It didn't make much of a difference. I also have metal tubing for fuel lines now which resonate. They are not helping the situation either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70