Holding heads, unlimited boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Okay guys, because of the wealth of free knowledge on the sight I feel I should share everything to better the cause. AS LONG AS I STILL GET WHAT I NEED!!!!!!

Hypermax has a limited supply of things that arent on their website, such as combustion ring head gaskets that will hold massive boost even with stock head BOLTS. The 1200hp Hypermax truck ran them with stock headbolts @ 147psi. They have a lot of tech stuff that is limited to current supply. Call and find out what they have for your application.

The gasket sets are $1k a set and require head and block machining. this would be "OUR" version of fire rings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heads being o-ringed or as stated... Fire ringed... Now thats something I need to see before I'm buying that. Our gaskets have the precups to deal with... Now its saying that the stock head bolts held up to 147 lbs of boost.... I'm just not buying it. The stock head bolts fail at 153,000 lbs ... I know... I had some tested to failure at a lab that does plenty of work for NASA and aerospace. DPS made a set of studs that were H13 material and supposedly tested to failure at 270,000 psi...:eek: ARP studs fail at 200,000 lbs or 220,000 lbs.... Can't recall. I think mine are 220,000 lbs... I am curoius as to these head gaskets for $1000.00 per set....:sly They probably are MLS gaskets... Kinda like what Cometic wont make for us...:mad: Thanks for bringing this hidden good stuff that Hypermax has in the "back room"... I'm wondering if they have some "special" heads or cams just collecting shelf dust....:sly

Last edited:

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Heads being o-ringed or as stated... Fire ringed... Now thats something I need to see before I'm buying that. Our gaskets have the precups to deal with... Now its saying that the stock head bolts held up to 147 lbs of boost.... I'm just not buying it. The stock head bolts fail at 153,00 lbs ... I know... I had some tested to failure at a lab that does plenty of work for NASA and aerospace. DPS made a set of studs that were H13 material and supposedly tested to failure at 270,000 psi...:eek: ARP studs fail at 200,000 lbs or 220,000 lbs.... Can't recall. I think mine are 220,000 lbs... I am curoius as to these head gaskets for $1000.00 per set....:sly They probably are MLS gaskets... Kinda like what Cometic wont make for us...:mad: Thanks for bringing this hidden good stuff that Hypermax has in the "back room"... I'm wondering if they have some "special" heads or cams just collecting shelf dust....:sly

Not sure if you are familiar with what a comcustion ring is and why running one requires machining the head and block BUT......It is what our heads can have thats as close to fire ringing as possible. a combustion ring basically changes upward force into sideways forse that the rings are there to absorb.

And yes, a direct quote " there aint no need for studs when you run these, our truck from back in the day had bolts not studs"

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The 1200hp Hypermax truck ran them with stock headbolts @ 147psi.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! And I get nervous at the thought of 15psi :rotflmao

They have done it so there's no questioning their experience, but 147 in an IDI takes awhile to comprehend ;Really :sly

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I wi8ll say one thing and its not to toot my own horn, I am just very akin to research, I will dig a hole into a subject that is so deep yoiu will see the other side of it. A 6.9 idi has mechanical injection and it a v8, PSD's and Dmax's will always be behind a p pumped cummins because its mechanically injected.

I understand that maybe the majority of IDI owners like getting a little more power and just " keepin it running" but hell. This block has 1.62" bosses in it, THE CUMMINS AND BIG TRUCK EVEN LACK THAT"

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I would have to say that after spending some time on the phone with Hypermax I am pretty dissappointed with the community here. All of you are part of IDI ownershi[ yet the majority of you have posted that the IDI can't make power, forget the PSD guys, the Dmax guys , the Cummins guys.......all of you are running an engine that 15 years before any other diesel engine in competition made over 1000hp. Seriously in 1988 a IH IDI made 1200hp and 95% of the people on this site are gonna say that our motor can't make power?????????

That leads me to believe that before Mel had the moose pump everyone said the DB2 was a piece of crap, before type4 offered a regrind for cams there was nothing to do as far as a camshaft, Come on people. I am all for identifying what the weakest link in an equation is BUT the IDI motor aint weak. Any person that is a member on this forum woth 5,000 plus posts and wants to jump on a soapbox saying the IDI cant do it or that some one should repower to make HP needs to choke themselves. The basics here are 2 things.... its a V8 AND it has mechanical injection, that is an unbeatable combo PERIOD. the psd is good because a HEUI can generate good fuel delivery, the Dmax is good because you can run dual CP3's................... we have a v8 and what amounts to a rotary P pump. I hate nay saying, and I have to say I have seen m ore of it on OB then anyother site I am a part of. Putting names on blast. Timbeaux38 a member here and a moderator on CompD said 700hp in a VP44 cummins was impossible, well that statement got smoked last year, no apologizes from him.

I have to say to any of you old dogs that if you don;t have any faith in your motor stop posting here, leave it to people that belive in IH engineering.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Look, the IDI can make power, but most here lack the funds to do it. The 1200 horsepower IDI was notorous for failures, if I had the money I would try to build a reliable 500 horse power IDI that could still start in a michigan winter but I don't so for now I dream and take notes of ideas. You know as well as all of us that someone can find a wrecked dodge pull the Cummins out of it and get some power with all the aftermarket support in the world, all we have is the back room at Hypermax, and a turbo from Banks, and one from ATS

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I've herd of Fire Rings, but never comcustion rings, where did you look those up.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Look, the IDI can make power, but most here lack the funds to do it. The 1200 horsepower IDI was notorous for failures, if I had the money I would try to build a reliable 500 horse power IDI that could still start in a michigan winter but I don't so for now I dream and take notes of ideas. You know as well as all of us that someone can find a wrecked dodge pull the Cummins out of it and get some power with all the aftermarket support in the world, all we have is the back room at Hypermax, and a turbo from Banks, and one from ATS

We are going to be in disagreement. Calling Stanadyne would net any IDI owner the parts to have a 340hp na motor, yet no one has?????? Grahams technoilogy is pretty old we are now on dial tones not rotary bleeps.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i will even offer a scenario.

look at the recent threads, an IDI was purchased for $260 bucks, on the high side, I bought mine for $1800.

Bankls kit 2600
gaskets from Hypermax 1000
block and head milling 500
IP tuning 500
exhaust 500
2nd turbo and piping 200

So you are telling me having a stout diesel that will beat a PSD like a redheaded stepchild isnt worth under 7k??????? that that number isnt affordable??????

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
How do you imply that we can burn that much fuel with out any boost, and without melting the motor.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i generally keep quiet, limit my posts to what I am doping and dont argue, My focus is to provide knowledge of what it is I am doing and how it has worked out. Thus far. OB has been the moutain that is trying to crush my mole hill.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
For me, no I can not afford it, in another year maybe (colledge kid just trying to save up the money for a dana 60 swap). But just because I can not afford it does not mean that I can't start figureing out what I'll need to do it.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I really think that most of us are either putting so much money into trying to keep the old worn out pos on the road that there isn't any cash left over for upgrades or they're just content with a turbo and cool temperatures while pulling a lot of weight reliably. Then there is me--I'm both of those people and my truck was rode hard and put away wet for too many years by the po :rotflmao :dunno

Seriously though I've always told myself 200-300rwh will give you enough power to tow the weight that these old trucks (whether it be GM, Dodge or Ford) are rated for safely and still be able to travel at a decent speed while doing so. What more can you ask for?

That said there are a lot of use here that are really hoping you carry out your build. I think the IDI has a lot of potential and it would be great to see what it is capable of. For me a huge factor is reliability and if 400-500hp can be had for a decent price and prove itself then I think a lot more people will gain interest. It sounds like you know what your doing and are figuring out what needs to be done the rest of us will have to sit and watch and cheer you on ;Sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online