Holding heads, unlimited boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
How do you imply that we can burn that much fuel with out any boost, and without melting the motor.

Well, my lady is one a long distance call so that clears me to blab here all I want, so lets jump into it.

Yes, the DB2 with factory Stanadyne parts will support 320HP of fuel " AT EMISSIONS QUALIFIED SETTING" an na motor is gonna net the number i brought up with just a few simple changes,........cam, timing, exhaust, intake.

I am summing up what is needed but those are the basics.

Lets identify what everyone knows.

WE have a 420cid motor.

OUR fuel has has 9000btu per gallon MORE that gas

A 427 Cobrajet made how much power through a 800cfm carb???????

this is a numbers game

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
How do you imply that we can burn that much fuel with out any boost, and without melting the motor.

Hypermax was running stock pistons that were fly cut to lower compression.
YOU are operating on some grain farmer pulling a piec of equipment up a hill that said his egt's got high. you have no playground here. tell me something that YOU know for a FACT!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Look, I'm not trying to argue here, anybody can argue on a forum. I'm trying to figure out how a N/A engine can get to that level of thermal efficency. In a nutshell I'm trying to learn here, not just tell someone they're wrong or right or trying to point out any thing that I know and you don't or that you know and I don't.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As referenced in the other thread.......
Check the rules of conduct here. personal attacks are not allowed.
Last warning.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
7 grand in an IDI? LOL

If I'm going to invest that much into a diesel engine it'll be a 12 valve backed by a NV5600 and I'll STILL be under that magical 7g limit including the whole truck to start with. LOL

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
\

Lets identify what everyone knows.

WE have a 420cid motor.

OUR fuel has has 9000btu per gallon MORE that gas

A 427 Cobrajet made how much power through a 800cfm carb???????

this is a numbers game

Comparing apples to oranges there buddy. The 427 was designed to rev high and produce power there, the IDI was not. Yes I know how an engine works, and I know that the theoretical horsepower figures derived from math are flawed, because when figureing theoretical power and torque one must assume effecency (volumetrical, Thermal, and Mechanical) and it is impossible to figure all of these with out a test engine and even then what holds true for one won't nessicarly hold true for another.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Comparing apples to oranges there buddy. The 427 was designed to rev high and produce power there, the IDI was not. Yes I know how an engine works, and I know that the theoretical horsepower figures derived from math are flawed, because when figureing theoretical power and torque one must assume effecency (volumetrical, Thermal, and Mechanical) and it is impossible to figure all of these with out a test engine and even then what holds true for one won't nessicarly hold true for another.

Exactly, cubic inches are not all equal in the engine world by any means. I'm not nearly versed enough in the finite details of it all but I do know that a 22re toyota engine is 2.4 liters and was produced from the early 80's into early '95 when it was replaced by the 2rz 2.4 liter. Same displacement should equal same output right? Not hardly, the rz engine family is a powerhouse that when forced induction is introduced will run 300 reliable horsepower while you can dump all the money in the western hemisphere into the r series and get 200 temperamental horsepower.

I guess some people don't understand there was a reason IH didn't just bolt a computer system on the IDI and call it a powerchoke eh? Technological advancements are a biotch. LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see what the limit is for an IDI but as of now I don't have the funds to try. I feel like really building an engine for power would take around 4 grand or so. Not really too bad if you like a truck and want to stay in it for years. That's about the cost of a drop in stock engine maybe with the turbo upgrades. Problem is you could get those custom pistons made, spend the cash on the hot DB2 or DB4 pump, and all the custom stuff for a special turbo....then go out and blow up that engine. We just don't know cause that risk isn't an option for most of us. We'd be walking.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i sorta wana watch him build this, see it run, then just fail and come apart first time he romps on it. hope to get vid of it. no need for an idi to have that much power. that 1200 one would spit the freeze plugs out everytime it was flogged hard from the block flexing.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Abull, dont let people try and knock you down on your plans. The IDI has been one of the most tested engines ever put into a light duty pickup. Hundreds of thousands of miles in testing were done before any IDI made love with a Ford pickup. I for one enjoy your enthusiasm on the subject, and you have proven to me that you are serious about this project. Not everyone can just drop 2gs on a new banks turbo kit.

Ive always thought these engines can make more power, but most of the people here drive IDIs because they are cheap and reliable, I know i do. While in the diesel power world 7 Gs might not be a lot of money for a kick ass engine, there is a reason a lot of these guys dont run powerstrokes, its cost.

I really wish you the best in this project, and look forward to updates on it. I want to see this work out just as much as anyone.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
There's just about 8Gs into the 6.9 in the scout. That's purchase price of the 6.9, rebuild, and fresh parts up to the install in the scout. And mines juat above stock, wish I had more done to it.....cookoo

-Jon

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think that most of us are either putting so much money into trying to keep the old worn out pos on the road that there isn't any cash left over for upgrades

i second that. im just a kid fresh out of high school who supervises a gas station at night, im already financially pretty deep into my 1 ton axle swap/ seized wheel bearing/spun race repair, at least at the little amount of money i make i am. i havent driven my truck in almost a month cause i of this dilemma :(

then again the axles i bought werent in the condition i thought they were in.

on a second note i also bought an entire set of axles to solve 2 problems, spun race/seized bearing plus a blown and mismatched dana 44, as well as the fact that theyre 1 tonners. either way i understand Rot Box's point.

dont get me wrong Abull, i am cheering you on and am interested in this post, if i had the resources id dump a ton of money in my truck simply because i love it and wouldnt want to drive anything else ;Sweet

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
but I do know that a 22re toyota engine is 2.4 liters and was produced from the early 80's into early '95 when it was replaced by the 2rz 2.4 liter. Same displacement should equal same output right? Not hardly, the rz engine family is a powerhouse that when forced induction is introduced will run 300 reliable horsepower while you can dump all the money in the western hemisphere into the r series and get 200 temperamental horsepower.

I can attest to that. The 3RZ was a dream come true when it came out. The old 22R is like an IDI in a way. It works, and is expensive to get stupid horsepower out of when there are far cheaper and more suitable options so why not leave good enough alone? It's like polishing a **** only--its not a **** ;Sweet

Then there are people like me that rock the 20R. Anything feels like a dragster compared to that--especially the IDI's LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your PM Abull78. Let me state my position on this, and answer your question directly. First of all, I do believe that the IDI can make legendary power. Hypermax DID do it, and I don't doubt that. They did it for a few reasons. One, they were IH employees who had inside knowledge and contacts we don't have. Two, they are a manufacturer, and reseller of turbo's. They can do stuff at a price point we can't. Three, they had incentive to do it. After all, marketing is all about doing. Showing off your capabilities, as well as those of the engine causes people to buy trucks, and your goodies to bolt on. Four, I was alive back then, read all kinds of magazines and also heard the rumours. The actual horsepower number is irrelivant. The reality is, they did build an IDI powered pulling truck, and they did run it at events. Longevity of this motor was not an issue. Nobody knows how many they blew up, or if they got the motor to make more than one run. So yes, stock headbolts probably DO hold up to at least one run. The amount of boost in PSI is also irrelivant. We do not know how they cut the pistons. We don't know how much they shaved off, or what other mods they did to them. Perhaps they were ceramic coated. I don't know.

Now, that addresses the faith issue. Yes, I have faith, that with unlimited funds and perserverance, someone on this board can come up with the "Golden Mule" that will tell everyone exactly how to get X amount of horsepower from an IDI. The reason this infomation is not already known, is that most of the time when people do this, it is to compete. There is no reward, for publishing information that gives you a competative edge. Also, if you spent $10,000 or maybe more coming up with a real solution, what incentive do you have to give it away?

I developed the Moose Pump, because I was willing to spend a grand of my own money and "give it away". I've sold 30 pumps, and have recouped maybe a few hundred of that. I've got a long way to go yet. If I had to lay out 10,000 I probably wouldn't have done it. And there in lies the next and final issue as to why your thread gets the reception it does.

Everybody here believes the motor has the potential, but everybody here also believes that no one is stupid enough to spend the kind of money it will take to make it happen. OK, maybe stupid is a little strong, but seriously? Who in their right mind wants to spend that kind of money on something that cannot possibly reward you in any way shape or form? I mean after all, if it takes you 10K to do it, even if you publish the plans.... Who is going to follow you? Only 4 people have been willing to spend $1000 on a set of injectors, and the first 2 don't count. It's going to take $4000 just to get your major horsepower IDI motor the fuel it needs. That's before all the machine work on the pistons and gaskets. I don't believe an individual has the resources or motivation to really follow through. We have these kinds of threads all the time, because people BELIEVE IN THE MOTOR. We do not however, believe in the PEOPLE. And while that is not a ding to anyone here, we are all human and have to put other things in life before we chase our dreams. So unfortunately, all most of us are left with is dreams. And young fellows like yourself are the worlds best dreamers, because you haven't been alive long enough yet to have your dreams crushed by old crusty guys who write posts like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online