help trans problems

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 92 f250 with an e4od i had finally got it runnin and it had intermidnt hard shifts in all gears and sometimes took a while to go into overdrive then one day my spedo cruise and odometer went out along with even harder shifts and no overdrive so took it to trans shop they said psom was the problem so i got one from a junk yard through work still nuthing. im thinkin the psom isnt gettin power but i dont know does anyone have some wiring diagrams or anything to figure this out thanks in advance

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you pull codes from your tranny computer just like the fuel injected computers? If it's a EECIV computer, this site tells you how to pull the codes. www.fordfuelinjection.com

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just found the sheet from the shop the codes it threw were 29= psom or circuit 62= tcc error 69= 3-4 shift error

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the history of the truck?

Factory original transmission?

How many miles on it?

Was it ever used for moderate or heavy towing?

Code 62 usually means you need a new torque converter.

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans was redone 30000 miles ago its got 197000 miles on it it was used on a farm for moderate towing once a year and im not sure but the shop said the 62 was caused by the psom idk any place can i start

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately focus on the things you know are bad (and cost less!)

30k isn't usually enough to kill a transmission like this unless they really messed up the rebuild.

You mentioned the PSOM might not be getting power. I would check the fuses, the connector to the PCM, and the main PCM relay to verify power is getting to everything.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your speedometer and tachometer working? (requires perfect readings at all times)

Have you checked your FIPL sensor (throttle position sensor on the side of the injector pump)? The factory original sensors generally didn't last very well.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Change the relay with a known good relay. If you lost the speedometer and odometer the the trans brain is not getting power.

The relay can look good, but it can be toasted too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the relay with a known good relay. If you lost the speedometer and odometer the the trans brain is not getting power.

The relay can look good, but it can be toasted too.

Or just install a temporary jumper across the terminals for testing purposes;Sweet

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok will do i checked the fipl and it was good i got all my gauges just the whole speedo parts shut down will try a new relay tommorw thanks for your help