HELP!

Thatredobs

Reaction score
So I recently bought an idi and when I first got it without knowing I took off the whole house for the ip changed the ip and then it would run but would fall on its face and sometimes die under heavy acceleration and anything past 1500-2000rpm. This past week I tore into it and retimed it and now I’m the mechanical time is right. Yet it still falls on its face and it died again after heavy acceleration and 1500-2000 rpm. This time after it died when I was able to get it to crank over it ran very very rough like it wasn’t running on all cylinders. Could that just be need to do retime the ip with a pulse timer? Or could I be looking at a bigger problem? I also changed the headstuds but I’ve seemed to have no issues from the rockers or valves or anything like that it idled fine for around 15-20 minutes.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you didn't set timing with a diesel timing setup after the IP change, definitely need to do that.

Thatredobs

Reaction score
That’s very possible my buddy who used to work at a diesel shop said that I need to change the fuel lines and fuel tanks…which I have both to do it I was just hoping that it would have ran without them

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds to me like it's sucking air into the lines on hard acceleration.

James
Either that or running out of fuel due to a lack of supply. I'm thinking that maybe the lift pump is almost shot. Just throwing that out there for another possibility.
Yes I’m currently trying to find someone with the proper equipment
I'd offer, but I'm much closer to Colorado than I am Missouri.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I do agree that it needs timed, I don't think that is causing the issues you're having. If it were pump timing it should run consistently at any given rpm.

Since you say it idles good until after hard acceleration I think it is something in the fuel delivery. You need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and figure out how much pressure you have when it starts acting up.

You will want to make sure that the fuel pressure is correct BEFORE you try to time it. If you set the timing and then realize the pressure is low, the timing will change when you correct the delivery issues.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In post#1 you said "without knowing I took off the whole house for the ip".
Did you remove the Pump with the Gear Housing and Gear?
If so you probably got the timing off.
There are 3 gears, Crank, Cam, and IP Gear. Each gear has marks Y & X, of the face of ea gear. They all need to be lined up in proper order.

Why did your Buddy say you need to change the Fuel Tanks? Fuel lines should be plastic from both tanks to the FSV, then plastic up to the FW, then metal under the Engine to the lift Pump, and up to the Filter.

Where the fuel Line connects to the Fuel Sender at ea Tank, it could be rusty and suck air there. Then the curly Q Hose at the Lift Pump could be old and cracked.

Goat

Last edited:

Thatredobs

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve taken off the front cover and have realigned the gears…Ik mechanically it’s timed. Idk about the dynamic or about the fuel lines probably going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the lines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online