HELP! Thermostat? Radiator Cap? Coolant issue

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so tonight I was out cleaning up my 7.3, i had an unused boost port in the intake snail that kept making an oily mess, while spraying some brake clean on the engine, it got down in an injector hole and was boiling, also boiled the brake clean by the water pump under the injector timing cover. so i looked pulled the radiator cap and found it was low, so I dumped about a gallon of distilled water in to top it off, Then I started it with the cap off and was waiting for it to warm up. I put the cap back on and gave it a few manual revs... I noticed upon revving the engine, the upper radiator hose was sucking shut. then I took the cap off and it blew water everywhere. Whats weird is the top of the radiator was completely cool then when I took the radiator cap off, it got instantly hot.

So my question is is this a: radiator cap issue? Water pump issue? Thermostat issue?

Also i was never sure if my factory temp gauge worked correctly... I suppose this would prove that it doesent

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You were turning the crank the wrong way. that is why the lower hose has a spring thing inside of it, to prevent collapse. i would go back and turn the crank again both ways to make sure it was opperator error. I am pretty sure it wasLOL. if that is the case then everything should be fine;Sweet.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were turning the crank the wrong way. that is why the lower hose has a spring thing inside of it, to prevent collapse. i would go back and turn the crank again both ways to make sure it was opperator error. I am pretty sure it wasLOL. if that is the case then everything should be fine;Sweet.

Not exactly sure what your saying? turning the crank?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Did you start the engine or turn the crankshaft by hand with a wrench. if you started the engine the you can totally disregard what i said.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so any ideas?

I have a new motorcraft thermostat, I was waiting to put in until I get my coolant filter in order, then I was going to do a complete flush... maybe I should do the thermostat sooner then later?:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Drain down the radiator till you can see the tubes in the top tank. If they have any buildup around them your radiator is plugged up. Your thermostat does sound like its not opening correctly too.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drain down the radiator till you can see the tubes in the top tank. If they have any buildup around them your radiator is plugged up. Your thermostat does sound like its not opening correctly too.

Radiator is not plugged, It was low enough to see today when I filled it. It was new when I bought the truck in November if that means anything.

Sound to you guys like a thermostat for sure?

Last edited:

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got the block drains out, radiator drained, hoses off, and thermostat off... guess what it not the motorcraft or IH thermostat, its a cheap 180 degree one. looks the same as a 350 chevy...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you found your problem. Many thermostats will fit but they just can't pass enough coolant to keep these engines cool. I would like to see this factory 180 degree thermostat. The only stat that ford or international sells is a 192 degrees stat. Nothing else was ever offered for our engines. The oem part numbers are listed in the parts bin too.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
From what the guy told me at the IH dealer, those 180*F thermostats were used in school buses with 6.9's.

They sell very little of them. They also had a 160* one!

And mine has been in my motorhome for well over 6 years, not a single problem.... and she gets worked!

I do have a real temp gauge to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online