Help identify what's wrong with my ill 7.3 IDI

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the smoke looks more white to me. if it was coolant wouldn't it be more like a steam and not linger around as much?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No mufflers .. I have no clue . I am crossing my fingers .

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
steam is heavier than air.
ive had this white smoke happen to me in my IDI and in my PSD
the IDI was a cracked head.
the PSD I know its atleast a headgasket, I never pulled it apart to find out,

I really hope im wrong, but he has a noticeable loss in coolant, and not oil.
if it was oil, it would be more blueish?
and that amount of oil, he would notice a drop.
and he would have oil dripping from his exhaust.

if it was fuel, I recon it would smell like raw diesel?

im no professional, I just know whats happened to me.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steam is heavier than air.
ive had this white smoke happen to me in my IDI and in my PSD
the IDI was a cracked head.
the PSD I know its atleast a headgasket, I never pulled it apart to find out,

I really hope im wrong, but he has a noticeable loss in coolant, and not oil.
if it was oil, it would be more blueish?
and that amount of oil, he would notice a drop.
and he would have oil dripping from his exhaust.

if it was fuel, I recon it would smell like raw diesel?

im no professional, I just know whats happened to me.

Well i can tell that the smoke burn your eyes if you come close to it and sure it smells but not like straight diesel out of the pump either,Just very foul smell which is really the confusing part ,

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In a diesel, if it's consuming oil pre-combustion, it will not be blue. It will be burned like fuel. Which could emit as white smoke. Just like unburned fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv had this happen twice with chip truck.the first time was when i first got the truck.whenever i would start it,it would do this.i knew it was clearly unburned fuel because it made my eyes water and it had that distinct smell to it.a much different smell than when you smell exhaust that is burning coolant.
once i run the truck for a few mins,that white smoke would go away.i installed a new set of injectors and that cured all that ailed it.

the second time was a failing ip.it would sometimes cause a crap load of white smoke and then clear up,then white smoke again.she was done for lol.

as for your coolant loss,i dunno about that but i know if all that white smoke your seeing smells like fuel and not sweet coolant then.......if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......
:D

do however,continue on with your testing of the coolant system.don't let me sidetrack ya from proper diagnostics.

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
It looks like I lost about 3.5 Psi in an hour from the minute I applied 14lb to the system . Going to re test one more time for kicks and giggles

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I read all the way to the bottom, I was going to point at bad valve stem seals or guides causing it to burn oil returning from the turbo. Might pull the GP s on the drivers side and see if they are coked up. If they are squeaky clean they are probably being steam cleaned. If you are headed down the road to hell, might as well start one step at a time and learn what you can as you go.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iv had this happen twice with chip truck.the first time was when i first got the truck.whenever i would start it,it would do this.i knew it was clearly unburned fuel because it made my eyes water and it had that distinct smell to it.a much different smell that when you smell exhaust that is burning coolant.
once i run the truck for a few mins,that white smoke would go away.i installed a new set of injectors and that cured all that ailed it.

the second time was a failing ip.it would somethings cause a crap load of white smoke and then clear up,then white smoke again.she was done for lol.

as for your coolant loss,i dunno about that but i know if all that white smoke your seeing smells like fuel and not sweet coolant then.......if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......
:D

do however,continue on with your testing of the coolant system.don't let me sidetrack ya from proper diagnostics.

Yes very distinct smell indeed and burns your eyes , however mine does clear as am driving but comes back at idle or when I rev as you saw in the video .

-But who knows It might be smoking like that as am driving but I can't notice it .

It's hard to get the smell of the coolant thru that nasty stuff outa the tail

But sure I am loosing slight coolant some but Not significant ,after I started the truck earlier and let it cool to safely check the level , itwas right at the neck of the radiator

Black dawg

Reaction score
Curious as to how the turbo oil drain is gravity flow all the way to the valve cover.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 tests

The 1st one seems to be off but I am loosing about Avg 1.5 psi in an hour during the other 2 tests

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, pressure loss for sure.
this took me about an hour to find the issue when tearing the engine down, and 6 months to find out I had a cracked block after extensive testing.
knowing what I know now when it comes to coolant loss, I would make block off plates for the oil cooler, remove the oil cooler, install plates, and retest the coolant system.
I would also drain the oil, and leave the crankcase empty when I do the next water test.
if the coolant holds, you know you need a oil cooler or to reseal it.
this does not address the smoke. but im hoping its fuel.
like I said, I literally spent 6 months testing and trying different stuff to find a coolant leak.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, pressure loss for sure.
this took me about an hour to find the issue when tearing the engine down, and 6 months to find out I had a cracked block after extensive testing.
knowing what I know now when it comes to coolant loss, I would make block off plates for the oil cooler, remove the oil cooler, install plates, and retest the coolant system.
I would also drain the oil, and leave the crankcase empty when I do the next water test.
if the coolant holds, you know you need a oil cooler or to reseal it.
this does not address the smoke. but im hoping its fuel.
like I said, I literally spent 6 months testing and trying different stuff to find a coolant leak.

So was yours cracked block , head or oil cooler .

Do you think my issue could be the cooler , where would I get block off plates unless they are fab for testing purpose only as I don't have the resource to fab such a thing

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as to how the turbo oil drain is gravity flow all the way to the valve cover.

It's angled just enough but honestly it's not the ideal solution .

When I pull the IP I might go with different valley pan that is designed for turbo drain .

If i have more safe way I would off welded a bung to the oil pan and routed the drain 10AN there like most normal applications . Some suggested to drain back to where the lift pump is if you have electric pump but I do not

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first time, it bellowed out smoke, much worse than yours. it was cracked heads that blew the gasket out.

the 2nd time, it never smoked, but I had major coolant loss, water in the oil pan. turned out to be a cracked block.

I dont know if its your cooler, but o-rings are problematic. if you send me 50 bucks, I can loan them to you.
50 bucks is refunded when I get them back. you pay the shipping.
becoming a supporting member, ill ship it free, but you pay to get it back.

if the smoke reaks, its fuel
if it smells sweet, its coolant.

FYI the coolant if contaminating the oil, will destroy your bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.