Help identify what's wrong with my ill 7.3 IDI

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been on my radar to get a New Conestoga IP and new Injectors but funds are limited at the moment , Truck has 145k at the moment .

while back i routed the Banks turbo drain line to the driver side Valve cove to eliminate an oil leak from the valley pan , However i am not 2 happy with it as i believe it allow some oil to be burn , Also i notice i accumulate about a 1/2 shot worth of oil in my CDR which could be due to some blow by .i use to notice a very very low haze of bluish smoke but i could be wrong, It's noticeable at start up then goes quickly away when truck warms up and comes back when am setting at idle @ stop ligh but wasn't any concern.

Lately i noticed and developed more alerting massive amount of smoke at start up and doesn't go away regardless , It takes a tad longer to fire up . also noticed that after the truck warms up and ready to drive when i apply the throttle pedal i get a power kick like something was stuffed and opened up then it smooth out , idle not the same , not smooth like it use to more on the rough side .Is it my injectors , pump .both ?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
test your coolant system.
does it start like this?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks blue to me but videos don't do as well as are eyes. I would check the trubo pressure side just to make sure a seal didn't blow on your turbo. Next test would be a leak down test on the cylinders. IDIOIT has a point on the coolant system. It's hard to see what color it is looks blue to me. Did the truck ever sit up for a long time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat for 8 years before i inquired it last year , i replaced all glow plugs , fresh coolant (Red coolant that goes low ever thousands of miles about 6oz or so) , fresh filters , new CDR , Valve cover, I rebuilt the Tranny .

Never done a leak down test yet or replaced the IP or inejectors .

Things i noticed near the turbo and always was concern ( wet turbo hat )

Recently noticed near the down pipe coming from the tube side ..blueish smoke like i have some kids exhaust leak or something .

Oil level hasn't changed or need to top it compare to coolant to be Honest

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
test your coolant system.
does it start like this?

sound very close to this start you posted but i have to confirm that shortly ..I will tune to it ..What is that indicate ???

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a water in the combustion chamber symptom
I ended up having cracked heads.
only time I smoked like that.
are you running regular diesel?

updated, watch this

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a water in the combustion chamber symptom
I ended up having cracked heads.
only time I smoked like that.
are you running regular diesel?

updated, watch this

What he mean by power going to the FFS , Now is it suppose to start of power going to the FFS

and what is ablaut guaranty way to identify there is water in the n the combustion chamber.

Yes I use regular diesel

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he mean by power going to the FFS , Now is it suppose to start if power going to that FFS

and what is ablaut guaranty way to identify there is water in the n the combustion chamber.

Yes I use regular diesel

What would be the next slouthion or diagnostic

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiot will have more information on that department I haven't face a cracked head or blown head gasket yet on IDIs. You could have valve seals bad. When they sit they get hard, but that not your problem. On gas burners we test the coolant or open the radiator cap and tur the motor over to see if the compression gases shoot the coolant out. Don't know if that's true for IDIs.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiot will have more information on that department I haven't face a cracked head or blown head gasket yet on IDIs. You could have valve seals bad. When they sit they get hard, but that not your problem. On gas burners we test the coolant or open the radiator cap and tur the motor over to see if the compression gases shoot the coolant out. Don't know if that's true for IDIs.

We have done the Head gasket pressure test before i bought it,it,whichwhich held pressure pretty darn well but that was about 18k miles ago since i bout it . I will have to re test it again . However there was that small voice in the back of my head always whispering ( where the coolant go skipper )

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are loosing coolant, I can pretty much guarantee you have a coolant system failure :D
you need to put the pressure tester on your radiator and pump it up to 12 lbs, and let it sit for an hour or so.
if it leaks down, the water is going somewhere, and in my experience, it does not milkshake like a gasser with water in oil.
but I didn't "keep on running" it either
atleast mine didn't several times while I had a cracked block.

another thing you can do after the truck has been sitting for 12 hours + is to pull the drain plug and see if water or oil comes out.
a quick pull, then reinstall would tell you if there is water in the crank case.
but I believe youre burning the water off.

I said FFS, but its the FSS fuel shut off solenoid.
if you crank the engine over with the IP unplugged, it worked the standing coolant out of the cylinders, then it would fire like normal.

if pressure tests fail, the heads need to come off and be inspected.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are loosing coolant, I can pretty much guarantee you have a coolant system failure :D
you need to put the pressure tester on your radiator and pump it up to 12 lbs, and let it sit for an hour or so.
if it leaks down, the water is going somewhere, and in my experience, it does not milkshake like a gasser with water in oil.
but I didn't "keep on running" it either
atleast mine didn't several times while I had a cracked block.

another thing you can do after the truck has been sitting for 12 hours + is to pull the drain plug and see if water or oil comes out.
a quick pull, then reinstall would tell you if there is water in the crank case.
but I believe youre burning the water off.

I said FFS, but its the FSS fuel shut off solenoid.
if you crank the engine over with the IP unplugged, it worked the standing coolant out of the cylinders, then it would fire like normal.

if pressure tests fail, the heads need to come off and be inspected.

You are da man ... Thank you so much for amazing information . I will get a video of it while am trying to crank it to match it up with you Video . and do few of the tips you mentioned

Here is another angle of the truck running

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely coolant. rev it up, and show us what it looks like

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely coolant. rev it up, and show us what it looks like

Here is a Video of the Cold Start

I noticed the smoke was not noticeable or exist when the fast idle assist activated and Eng is cold , Once the Eng is warmed up it's a different story .here is a Clip when it's Reved up to 2k

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rented a pressure tester from Auto zone as am going to test thru the radiator this evening , will report

Last edited: