HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the air ram is one idea. The idea I like more is using drive pressure to open it and boost to close it. It will give ultimate control and it will depend on engine load. That is what I plan on doing with it blowing into my supercharger until I can afford the Fleece controller.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 psi by 1700 rpm is makin great boost for an idi and for alot of people using ats banks usually max around 10 at 2600 2700 I think the hard work is paying off now it's all about how he's gonna tune it and how he's gonna get more fuel and also some headstuds for more testing te setup looks promising and i may do something similar in my build

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an electronic controller that they sell to control variable turbos. They have one that is boost referenced and one that uses boost, rpm, and throttle position.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize that 10lbs was such great results. Only thing i have to compare to is my dads 92 w/ 088 and no gauge. Im smokeless with the pump maxxed at 1300 and thats where it "lights" as it were from there it really jumps. Been half wondering if this charger is in fact to small to go much farther without getting restrictive, but low egts makes it seem like it works good for a modless fuel system. Im sure more can be had just by building a decent exaust system for it let alone more fuel or cam or what have you. I cruise 65 at 1800ish at 4-5lbs and can mat it without even a puff of smoke, if i let out first i get a small haze, either way, all but intantaneous 10lbs. I wasnt trying to knock WMOguy by any means. Im willing to bet like me, he is out of fuel, and is hiding just how well that setup will work, especially on the top end running more fuel. Albeit the remote mount and unsplit "up pipe" causes a fair amount of lag, but seemingly the VGT has made it up. Which is good news for me at least, as i plan to mount it in the traditional location, no matter how much bigger the hole in my firewall grows lol.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 psi by 1700 rpm is makin great boost for an idi and for alot of people using ats banks usually max around 10 at 2600 2700 I think the hard work is paying off now it's all about how he's gonna tune it and how he's gonna get more fuel and also some headstuds for more testing te setup looks promising and i may do something similar in my build

Yep 10psi by 1700rpm is definitely good. I do wonder how it would spool up close on an idi in the engine bay. It would be a neat comparison...

wmoguy

Reaction score

What???? :rotflmao

Yea its loud, maybe too loud actually........I'll try and get some video up soon. I have the pickup in getting some A/C work done to it. I probably won't have time to pick it back up from the shop til next week.

wmoguy

Reaction score
on fleece performance site, there is no mention of a full mechanical controller for the turbo

Call and talk to Brayden (sp?) They do make a stand alone universal controller that requires no electronics to map into (it has it's own stand alone system) Last I talked with him, maybe 60 days ago, they had it, it worked, they just weren't really marketing it. IIRC it's about $700. I have about $50 into my "system" and although I'd like the convenience of what Fleece has built, i can't justify the cost until I know this turbo design will work out well. Down the road if I like the results I might consider dropping the $700.

As for other questions and comments: 10 psi comes on @ 1600-1700 with normal driving (i.e. adult like driving) I've not yet been able to get that out of a ATS 60-1 wheel'd turbo.

Yes I'm out of fuel, and I don't really care. If someone else wants to "carry on the torch" and do something like I did and wants to add more fuel and get more "snort" out of it that would be awesome. Me? I'm pleased with what i got, and to busy with other things in life and disinterested in tinkering further. If and when I need more power, I'll just go buy a new pickup. in the meantime I'm enjoying my mildly modified IDI that burns super cheap fuel. :sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stand alone controller doesnt do exhaust brake functions, and isnt as good or smooth IIRC from when i called