HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey how's it running? Also any videos???? :D

Running well. I have a few things I plan to alter here over the next few weeks, but all is good. Life's been pretty stinkin hectic w/ all these wildfires, work etc.. lately.

Here's a quick video I shot tonight from my iPhone. The sound isn't that great but hopefully you get the idea. The turbo whine is pretty stinkin awesome.

http://youtu.be/o14GkyqubG8

Cruising around town even at 30 mph I get lots of head turns. It seriously sounds like a turbine driven vehicle going down the road. I'll have to work on my video taking skills as I drive. The ones I took from my iPhone are totally worthless :rotflmao

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice man. Can't wait to see a driving video. Also what are your egt at max and while cruising? Also what is you cruising boost at?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Sounds nice man. Can't wait to see a driving video. Also what are your egt at max and while cruising? Also what is you cruising boost at?

Cruise EGTs= 650-700 (250-300 degree drop from the ATS turbo)
Max EGTs= 1050-1100 (for a few seconds than drops quick)

Cruise Boost= I can control it pretty well. However, it seems to run best overall thru the powerband w/ a cruise boost of ~6 psi @ 65.

The neat thing about this setup is how COOL the air is. The boost controller I have in the cab (to control the geometry of the turbo) I pulled one of the vacuum lines off. It was 101 degrees out yesterday, and the air that was coming thru that vacuum line (plumbed at the intake hat) felt cooler than the outside ambient temp.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise EGTs= 650-700 (250-300 degree drop from the ATS turbo)
Max EGTs= 1050-1100 (for a few seconds than drops quick)

Cruise Boost= I can control it pretty well. However, it seems to run best overall thru the powerband w/ a cruise boost of ~6 psi @ 65.

The neat thing about this setup is how COOL the air is. The boost controller I have in the cab (to control the geometry of the turbo) I pulled one of the vacuum lines off. It was 101 degrees out yesterday, and the air that was coming thru that vacuum line (plumbed at the intake hat) felt cooler than the outside ambient temp.

Those are pretty good egts. So as far as I understand the boost controller on your setup, you have a wastegate and the wategate is set to a low setting. Then you use the boost controller to bleed off some of the pressure to tune it when the wastegate type setup opens the vanes? Is that correct? Also how do you control the max boost pressure and what type of boost controller are you using?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey would you be able to post some videos of your truck doing a drive by and maybe even a driving video? I have been wondering if you would put one up. Still wonder how that turbo sounds while driving... :D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Any longer term impressions of your turbo setup now that you have had it on for a while is it still worth it? Would you go the same path again?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Any longer term impressions of your turbo setup now that you have had it on for a while is it still worth it? Would you go the same path again?

yes for my goals I feel it was a worthwhile application upgrade. I have low end boost and air, which was my #1 goal. The ATS turbo w/ the 60-1 wheel I had prior was a great upgrade, but still limiting IMO.

If I were to do it over, I'd figure out how to get teh turbo closer to the engine w/ less piping. The turbo is too big to put under teh hood w/o some extreme modifications. (i.e. custom cowl induction hood, big body lift, etc..) I was thinking it could be mounted remote, behind the front bumper area possibly, w/ custom exhaust manifolds facing forward and some piping. While I have nice low end air back to the engine, I"m guessing it would come on even faster w/ less piping.
When life settles down a little I'll see about getting this thing back on the same dyno and see how it compares. I know it's got more go than before. Once it hits about 5 psi, hold on, it puts you back in your seat. Before, w/ the 60-1 wheel when I hit the same PSI mark, it just kept going, but the power didn't press you in your seat.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A better turbo makes a huge difference for sure. As far as having the turbo in the engine bay, it could be placed where the passenger side battery is and the battery could be relocated. I was also thinking that you could keep the vanes closed a bit longer and that might help it spool a bit faster. Or was it just the low end spooling you were talking about? That still might help the low end but would help the mid-range even more. That is the neat thing about those turbos, you can tune um however you want. The limiting factor with tuning it though is drive pressure. If it is closed to long, dp will be high but that can be fixed as well...

wmoguy

Reaction score
A better turbo makes a huge difference for sure. As far as having the turbo in the engine bay, it could be placed where the passenger side battery is and the battery could be relocated. I was also thinking that you could keep the vanes closed a bit longer and that might help it spool a bit faster. Or was it just the low end spooling you were talking about? That still might help the low end but would help the mid-range even more. That is the neat thing about those turbos, you can tune um however you want. The limiting factor with tuning it though is drive pressure. If it is closed to long, dp will be high but that can be fixed as well...

No it can't...... I measured for that.......

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else picturing wmoguy as mad max turning up his boost?