GV over/underdrive on a 4x4?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah its hard to say. The trukc had 3 PO, the second was the OO son, third the farmer i got it from. What ive learned since lifting the cab off the frame is the GV unit has a '92 date and the truck is a '93. I think the OO bought the truck and put the GV on when it was almost new/new. The controler of the US gears dates back 15+ years, its the first style, making it 15+ years old. Brake could have came after the trans. I tihnk im going to give GV a call and talk to a tech about it before putting the exhaust brake back into service.

BTW i found the gv contorler mounted UNDER THE CARPET.....(seriously???) under the foot petals....***? seems like an ignorant place to install an electrical controller.... maybe this a popular spot for them? idk?

i plan to move it away from moisture..... ha

thanks for that awesome response and clarification warden!!!!
Happy to have been of some use ;Sweet

As to why the controller's on the floor...I recall some GV's that were set up with a foot-operated shift switch. That might have something to do with it?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Happy to have been of some use ;Sweet

As to why the controller's on the floor...I recall some GV's that were set up with a foot-operated shift switch. That might have something to do with it?

that's what mine has!!!!!!!! :D but there's plenty of cable to have mounted it elsewhere, they even coiled the LONG cable up and put it under the carpet all wrapped up next to the CPU only a few inches from the floor-petal-switch. LOL seems doooofy to me, atleast as someone who lives in the snow belt, ha! All the aftermarkets were installed in calli by the OO and or 2nd PO even has the banks installed/certified sticker on the core support.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW i found the gv contorler mounted UNDER THE CARPET.....(seriously???) under the foot petals....***? seems like an ignorant place to install an electrical controller.... maybe this a popular spot for them? idk?
If it's against the firewall that's a pretty good spot for small add-on devices - we got auxiliary fuse box, relays, and the driver for the pyro shoved there. As long as carpet is intact and driver does not stretch their wet/muddy feel too much there shouldn't be a problem with it living there. The space behind the dash on these trucks is pretty cluttered from the factory, not a whole lot of room to install new stuff without removing something else first.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well the warden already gave a better explanation than I could have.
But it's the higher compression ratio that helps.
On the cummins he mentioned, I believe those use the vgt turbo.

Also if you don't believe diesels can engine brake very well, go test drive a newer TDI jetta. Lol Takes some getting used to when coming to a stop.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the cummins he mentioned, I believe those use the vgt turbo.
I'm pretty sure you're right, and the exhaust brake function is integrated into the programming for the VGT turbo.

Also if you don't believe diesels can engine brake very well, go test drive a newer TDI jetta. Lol Takes some getting used to when coming to a stop.
I could be wrong, but I THINK there's an anti-shutter butterfly valve on the newer TDI's...which basically does the same thing as a throttle plate on a g@$$er. I've only driven a newer TDI/6 speed once, and it was pretty impressive compared to my '01 TDI...

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
is that what that flapper after the PSD turbo's is???? is wondering about that

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
15. This portion of the Gear Vendors electronics was placed underneath the pedals in the foot well. -diesel power magizine- talkign about the cpu under the carpet and petals. guess its not negligence of the installer. still find it to be a poor location ha

Black dawg

Reaction score
Every GV install I have seen was a wiring mess, and the box was shoved under the carpet like that. Must have been in the instructions. What a joke.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Every GV install I have seen was a wiring mess, and the box was shoved under the carpet like that. Must have been in the instructions. What a joke.

right i think GV is over there cracking up every time they see someone follow there "de-struction" hahaha anyone who knows anything about cpu's and wiring and moisture will tell you that's an ignorant location!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC that "flapper" post-turbo on the PSD's closes partially to put additional load on the engine to help it warm up more quickly (as to how well that works or doesn't work, I don' tknow). With that said, IIRC it's possible and fairly common to adapt the electronics to make it function as an exhaust brake as well ;Sweet

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
ive heard that too but from what i know about exhaust brakes, if its not waste-gated then you'll need some valve work (usually)

it looks a little goofy to me but hey if it works to warm her up fast all the power to em, i wonder with that being said if its worth hooking one on a IDI for the smae purpose.

Furthermore i wonder if using my exhaust brake to do that would help with winter idle/warm-up temperature

Black dawg

Reaction score
I know several people that use the GV engaged and the exhaust brake on big passes with loads with no ill effects so far.
Seems risky to me with the GV engaged, but in direct I wouldnt (and dont) worrry about it.

Every worn out GV I have been around would shudder on decel engaged.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're right, and the exhaust brake function is integrated into the programming for the VGT turbo.
I could be wrong, but I THINK there's an anti-shutter butterfly valve on the newer TDI's...which basically does the same thing as a throttle plate on a g@$$er. I've only driven a newer TDI/6 speed once, and it was pretty impressive compared to my '01 TDI...
Correct. There is a butterfly valve, but only thing I've found is its for a runaway. I thought it may have been for braking also, but no one could confirm nor deny. But it is common to delete it, so I'm not real sure.
With the DSG downshifting to first will throw you into the wheel if you're not used to it.
I think it's mainly in the vgt. And if you don't know, the DSG is pretty much the same as a manual. Uses a clutch and gears instead of torque converter. Think of it as a electric shift manual.

No.
IIRC that "flapper" post-turbo on the PSD's closes partially to put additional load on the engine to help it warm up more quickly (as to how well that works or doesn't work, I don' tknow). With that said, IIRC it's possible and fairly common to adapt the electronics to make it function as an exhaust brake as well ;Sweet
While it does help warm-up slightly, seems it was merely a emissions device. And annoying as hell. Lol
It will work as a brake, and decently, but will add higher chance of oil leaks, and floating valves. (i did it on mine) Just delete it and go with a real brake.
But for those that want to keep it, php has a new "decel" tune. Which locks the torque converter and closes the ebpv.

ive heard that too but from what i know about exhaust brakes, if its not waste-gated then you'll need some valve work (usually)
Uhm, no. Has nothing to do with a waste-gate.
A good exhaust brake will release when high exhaust back pressure is reached. Which if gets too high will float valves. Higher valve spring seat pressure is needed.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Uhm, no. Has nothing to do with a waste-gate.
A good exhaust brake will release when high exhaust back pressure is reached. Which if gets too high will float valves. Higher valve spring seat pressure is needed.

uggghh it absolutely does.

Thats what the waste gate on the "waste-gated" exhaust brakes do, alleviates excessive (to high of) back pressure that would normally cause valve float. On top of the fact that i already new the waste-gates use in this application (as its not much different than on a turbo), i clarified this with the tech at "USGEARS" when rebuilding my wastegated exhaust brake a month or so ago.

now im not saying their arnt any that have this function electronically controlled with maybe a pressure switch, but i have yet to see one (not saying they dont exist) andif you know of one id like to see it. Seems redundant when it can be mechanically controlled.

Btw the pre brake pressure doesnt exceed 15 psi on wastegated-brakes (or at least not much if any above) as thats the wastegates opening pressure.