GV over/underdrive on a 4x4?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
so i have a gv unit on my RWD CCD im just curiouse if a gv unit can be fitted to a 4x4 truck, did a search and didn't see anything on it. I talked to a guy in NY once, that has a GV unit and he said "GV makes an adapter for the 4x4 fords" just like they make one for the standard RWD trucks, anyone out there able to verify this info?

im curious because i wont ditch my unit but a part of me wants to 4x4 convert this truck in the near future.

thanks for any in put!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes they fit and yes, The adapters are available for the fit but. What you HAVE to do is turn in what you have and buy the adapter from Gear Vendors. They cal this an even trade. You give them your adapter that wont fit and they give you one that fits... Plus you pay of the new adapter. Thats not a straight across trade in any arena really. Reason they do this is to control the market. Might try contacting an ebay seller in Aromas Ca named maximum overdrive. He sells on ebay under the Gear Vendors search. Towcat has plenty of good thing to say about him too. Has done plenty of business with this store.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes they fit and yes, The adapters are available for the fit but. What you HAVE to do is turn in what you have and buy the adapter from Gear Vendors. They cal this an even trade. You give them your adapter that wont fit and they give you one that fits... Plus you pay of the new adapter. Thats not a straight across trade in any arena really. Reason they do this is to control the market. Might try contacting an ebay seller in Aromas Ca named maximum overdrive. He sells on ebay under the Gear Vendors search. Towcat has plenty of good thing to say about him too. Has done plenty of business with this store.

thanks icanfixall!

Thats a nice little "bow" they have that tied in hahaha ......some "exchange program" they have there....ha do you know if the adapted i would be purchasing would still be at "retail" or does the "core" take a chunk of the retail price off?

At first i didnt realize they could be fitted to the 4x4, i guess my only remaining question is does the GV still only hook up at the rwd axle or can you tow 4x4 with the GV unit functioning/actuated?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's used in 2wd only.
here's a pic before it got broken in two.

Attachments

• SL376002.JPG
    SL376002.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 166

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
broken in two?! :confused: oh da:puke:amn how??? whyyyy??? :dunno

btw thanks for the pic! looks pretty clean :sly

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
cookoo so what happened to the guy driving it?? :backoff :mad: :backoff

was this assumed to be a metallurgy problem with the casting of the shaft as Mel thought/assumed?

really sorry to see that that happened :( i know one of the main reasons i decided to keep my truck was the GV unit (coupled with the exhaust brake and banks kit)

were you able to replace it or did you go back to stock?

what do you mean by torq reversion? not a term im familiar with although im giving google a workout right now

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have an od.I only need it for the hwy,no need to use it in 4x4.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the driver is still alive and well. he has replaced the broken GV unit with another used unit. He also purchased a full set of tires for the truck just for the inconvenience he put me through. yes, he continues to borrow my equipment when he needs it.
I have yet to put another GV into the truck, due to the fact it sees extensive off-roading where having an extra potential failure point doesn't make sense. the roads often are a mix of clay soil, very loose topsoil with broken granite boulders hiding just under the surface. It's a workout for a truck let alone pulling a loaded equipment trailer to boot. he has come to his senses and has done extensive rework to the road leading into his property improving it from a heavily rutted fire trail to a graded and graveled dirt road.
this is what he was towing when this happened.

Attachments

• sulaco2.JPG
    sulaco2.JPG
    622.6 KB · Views: 138

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
glad to here he replaced it ;Sweet thats a couple nice rigs you have right there!!! that skidloader looks bran new :sly

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid GearVendors simply because they want to create a monopoly and keep the used parts market as dry as possible so they can keep prices artificially high. I've never heard that they wouldn't sell you parts outright and wanted a partial trade on any used parts you may have, but if it's true then screw them and screw every other company that operates like that. I would be looking at options to run a Brownie/Ranger/DougNash/USGear/etc. Yeah support may be limited or nonexistant for some of the older units but it beats propping up high prices for one of those sole supplier get 'em hooked and control the market types of companies.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad to here he replaced it ;Sweet thats a couple nice rigs you have right there!!! that skidloader looks bran new :sly
i have a rule of thumb when it comes to loaning out my stuff. If the borrower doesn't have the means to repair or replace, they don't borrow my stuff then. Truck is mime. It's a "frankenstien" of sorts. Ford should have built a SC 4x4 with a D60 front, but they didn't. I did. It gets worked hard. in fact, I need to replace the cab in the next month or so due to the right side getting taco'd really bad on a large rock. At least the frame didn't get hurt. :D
here's a couple more pics of the "Sulaco". as you can see in the interior, it's optimized for cargo hauling.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1020713.JPG
    P1020713.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 46

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
i have a rule of thumb when it comes to loaning out my stuff. If the borrower doesn't have the means to repair or replace, they don't borrow my stuff then. Truck is mime. It's a "frankenstien" of sorts. Ford should have built a SC 4x4 with a D60 front, but they didn't. I did. It gets worked hard. in fact, I need to replace the cab in the next month or so due to the right side getting taco'd really bad on a large rock. At least the frame didn't get hurt. :D
here's a couple more pics of the "Sulaco". as you can see in the interior, it's optimized for cargo hauling.

thats a solid rule to live by! "$h!t happens" all the time, i know that first hand, im sure that wasnt a cheap fix and he gifted tires for the inconvenience, sounds like a good guy.

Are you saying they put a lighter duty axle in the extended cab trucks vs the CC trucks???

truck looks real nice, i like the interior, thats how a work truck/tool should look ;Sweet

that sad the cab looks really clean (being in the rust belt i drool over rust-less body's) did it taco pretty badly?

i like the front bumper ....and your kitten hahah

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Yep, never understood why they didn't make a SuperCab F-350 as the difference is just bolt on suspension parts from what I understand. I swapped a D60 under my SuperCab. Have a CrewCab now but definitely prefer Supercab.