Exhaust on n/a

bear91

Reaction score
So my y pipe is leaking exhaust up the shift boots and making me dizzy so I ordered a new dynomax y pipe from jegs. The truck currently is straight piped right before the rear wheel behind the cab. I love this location but since I'm having a exhaust shop do all the work should I run a high flow diesel exhaust or keep it straight piped?
I'll be upping the pipe to at 3in maybe 3.5 as I want the truck to breathe the best it can but now considering a exhaust. I know dynomax has a good high flow one but I can only find it in a complete kit and that won't work for me as I want it to exit before the tire and I already have a y pipe

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-04-13-40-51-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-04-13-40-51-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it's NA, 3" should be more than enough for flow. My tow truck was miserably loud until I made my own glass packs to go in the stacks.

If you're shooting for "performance" there's no such thing on a NA 6.9/7.3 idi international.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Thrush welded muffler works good on these. You can get them in 3 inch and they are free flowing. I have the dynomax y pipe with a thrush welded muffler dumping out before the tire on my one truck and its okay. Going to add a tail pipe when it comes time to redo it but for quick and simple its fine like it is.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get tired of the drone eventually.
Dumping the exhaust behind the wheel will be quieter.

My BIL had it in front of his R/R wheel on his 94 Turbo, and the aluminum Rim was black and sooty as well and the white paint on the sheet metal.

X2, you can`t make a NA Diesel into a high performance engine. There is "X" amount of Air/Oxygen going down the intake to burn "X" amount of Fuel. When the 2 are balanced out you get a complete burn of the Fuel.

Turning up the Fuel with the same "X" amount of Air/Oxygen, and you start getting Black Exhaust. That is unburned Fuel, or partially burned fuel....= $ out the Tail Pipe.

A larger Exhaust system helps when you pump up the Engine with Turbo, larger Turbo, larger Injectors etc... with the flow of Exhaust.
Everything has to stay in balance.

My 86 has none of that stuff is NA, and I call her "Naturally Exasperated".
My zero to 60 is eventually.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
N/A with no muffler is way too loud. Be a little considerate of other people in your neighborhood and community. Sorry if this makes you mad, but someone has to say it.
@franklin2 ,we might not get together on much, but sir, we can jive on this statement.

I was embarrassed to drive my tow truck until I shut it up. I was really cautious in populated areas when I was accelerating.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Only time vehicles should have loud exhaust, is if you're on a motorcycle, so people will get a shock to pull themselves off their phone while they're driving and look for the biker.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time vehicles should have loud exhaust, is if you're on a motorcycle, so people will get a shock to pull themselves off their phone while they're driving and look for the biker.
And what's with all the new "muscle cars" that make an incredible amount of noise but are going extremely disproportionately slower than the noise dictates that they're going. Like if it was a '90 5.0 foxbody and it was making that much racket, I shouldn't even be able to see it it's so far down the road.

bear91

Reaction score
N/A with no muffler is way too loud. Be a little considerate of other people in your neighborhood and community. Sorry if this makes you mad, but someone has to say it.
Honestly the truck came straight piped dumping right in front of the rear wheel. With zf5 and 3.55 gears the motor is louder then the exhaust as it only gets to high rpms on the highway and at that point it's got that drone that makes talking on the phone difficult but then again the motor is also loud. Can't wait to lay down 100mill sound deadening.
Had the truck for 5 years now no one complains about the exhaust... exhaust is really loud at 2500rpms and starts to cackle... again never gets that high.
unless I'm flooring it or towing.
Honestly people have been surprised at how quiet the truck is which just flabbergasts me. Like went over to my buddies that has a idi with a muffler and he was like I didn't even hear you coming why is it so quiet. Then a coworker at work wanted to hear the exhaust so I revved it and he was like that just made the fan louder (I have a different fan clutch now)

Last edited:

bear91

Reaction score
I would also like to clarify I'm not trying to make the truck loud, the motor itself I can hear idling 4 houses down.
I also know I'm not gaining any hp/tq from a exhaust setup being n/a but I'm just trying to ensure the best setup for keeping EGT's as low as possible.
I'm thinking I'm going to go with one of those straight through mufflers to help lower noise on highway as I drive 80 miles a day and I hope that can make it more phone talkable in the cab. After looking into them I don't think egt will be any different with them

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you do not mess with the fueling, the EGT's should stay low. I think you will like the glasspack muffler. It will tone it down some. Just make sure you do not dump it out between the road and the body of the truck. If you bring the outlet beyond the body a little bit to the side or the rear, it really helps the noise inside the cab.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is full straight at the stock exit. Under normal driving I don't think it's all that loud, I'm sure that the slow drivers on the highway may disagree when I lay the hammer down and the pipe is pretty much level with their open window (but my opinion if they don't like it, they should atleast run close to the speed limit and I wouldn't have to pass them).

I have never had quite vehicles though, all of my gassers have always been true 2" duals with 12" glass packs. Most have had 4" x 24" tips also. But I don't really ever drive them hard so they usually stay fairly mellow.

James