GV over/underdrive on a 4x4?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Seems with the research ive done, trucks with a GV can Exh Brake when the GV is not engaged.

If someone has a story where they had a problem exh. braking while the unit was disengaged, feel free to share, i still have to call GV and ask them today

just engine brake vs Exhaust brake engine braking does somewhat differ in principle.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Look at any readily available exhaust brake. It's not waste gated.
Can't say I've ever seen one with a waste-gate.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score

dude seriously????! look at the "good" ones the top of the line brakes, not the bs junk for a few hundred bucks

for instance look at the U.S. gears exhaust brake which is the one i own. exhaust brakes with waste gates are jsut common sence if you know anything about exhaust braking

~do home work before you post ~ if you havn't "seen" something

if you "have not seen it" that obveously not good enough reason to be contradicting FACT('s).

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
http://www.usgear.cc/dcelerator.htm

a simple google search would educate you.........."jasper"

Right from U.S. gears website:

Here's How it Works:
An oversize nodular iron housing consisting of two stainless-steel butterflies (one large, one small) is added to the exhaust system in front of the muffler. The large version is in the main passage, while the small butterfly operates in a separate waste gate by-pass port. Available from 4" down to 2-1/2" as either air or electric. When signaled, the large butterfly closes, creating immediate exhaust pressure for assisting the vehicle's regular brakes. Exhaust flow is now directed through the small by-pass port and released by the small butterfly at a pre-determined pressure (Due to this design feature, no orifices are necessary.). This allows pressure to generate more efficiently and maintains it longer, providing precision braking whenever you need it. Does not require valve spring changes or engine modifications.

Last edited:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Irrelevant,

there is much more the ONE brake on the market as im obviously talking about ones you are not familiar with. I would advise you to familiarize yourself fully with the topic at hand before posting incorrect/uneducated information.

Last edited:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Last edited:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score

you sure did act liek they dont exist.

the banks explains how it has the "waste-gate-like" function within the programming of the exhaust brake ECU and how without such provisions it will damage a (FORD SPECIFIC IN THE ARTICLE) diesel engine

BANKS:
" Consequently, we want to temper the exhaust brake action for a reasonable, controlled degree of braking. Besides, an exhaust brake cannot close the exhaust system completely for a number of other good reasons. If the exhaust is completely closed, the pressure in the exhaust system will continue to rise until either the exhaust system ruptures or engine damage occurs. In fact, according to the factories, letting the pressure in the exhaust system exceed 40 PSI for Ford diesels, 55 PSI for the Chevy/GM DuraMax, or 60 PSI for Cummins diesels, can actually damage a diesel engine. "

IDk why you give me hard time jasper im not over here making things up.......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Correct, look at post #74. Last part.
Some have a "fixed limit" using a spring, where once it's too high it'll overcome the spring pressure. Therefore lowering back pressure.
Many ways to skin a cat.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Correct, look at post #74. Last part.
Some have a "fixed limit" using a spring, where once it's too high it'll overcome the spring pressure. Therefore lowering back pressure.

thats "waste gate operation" LOL weather its on the Initial butterfly plate/valve or a separate smaller butterfly valve.

Its waste-gate operation all the same
its a term not just a "part"

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not exactly.
By definition a waste-gate diverts/bypasses.
The ones like banks, pacbrake, etc just open to regulate pressure. Nothing is being bypassed.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper, are you familiar with the term "bench racing"? You've been around for how long now, why do you even waste your time with semantics?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jasper, are you familiar with the term "bench racing"? You've been around for how long now, why do you even waste your time with semantics?
Looks like it's a moot point to me now:

jay22day said:
jay22day
Dunce
He received ample warning in multiple threads...IMHO he made his own bed; time to lay in it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can lead a horse to water....
good riddance.

when you find yourself arguing with everyone, you should take a step back and evaluate yourself.