Got my headlight harness in today from rjm :D :D

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the harness in today, the wiring is all neat and in plastic conduit looks like its really good quality. So the instructions rjm provided are pretty minimal (they list about ten steps). Anyone whos done it know any tips for me or anything I should watch out for?....I was wanting to run the the wire going to the passenger side light the same way it was run stock but I don't know how I would be able to feed the wire through...maybe removing the grille would be a good idea, I suppose I could just run the harness over the positive cable conduit to. Whatd you guys do? And theres three 'attachemnts' for a bulb, two of them look to be the ones I use what is the extra one for? (i attached the link the extra plug im referring to is the one closest to the relays)
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/headlight-harness

And how would I go about removing the batteries?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a skookum looking setup.

There are TWO male plugs for the headlights, and one female that plugs INTO your stock headlight plug to make the setup work. That's yer third one...look close you'll see what I mean.

Disconnect BOTH ground cables from batteries,

Then disconnect both Positive leads,

Undo the battery retaining mechanism however they are held in place then pull the batteries out.

As for running the harness I suppose you could undo the top two rad bolts and just pull it back a little bit and then tie the harness to the stock harness with zip/zap ties.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Scan the instructions, and then post them here....

JM2CW

Al

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My harness for my crewcab just shipped. Supposed to be heavier duty than lmc from what I have heard. Sounds like a great mod to get some brighter headlights.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
it is supposed to be longer then the lmc harness as well. i guess the lmc one has to be stretched to get to both lights. also uses heavier wire than the lmc i've read.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Putco brand harness; same as what LMC sells. It's pretty mediocre compared to the RJM. Cheap wire wrap instead of the conduit, no in-line fuse; I see almost no difference in brightness or voltage. It juuuuusssst barely reached across to the driver's side headlight.

Connection is easy. Put the red ring terminal on the junction at the starter relay, where all the other main wires join up. Put the black ring terminal behind a nearby ground screw. Plug the original right headlight connector into the single male connector. Plug the two female connectors into the headlights.

Reaction score
FWIW, I used the LMC kit and it is working just fine. No fitment issues, and I didn't have to remove the batteries. I hooked mine into the passenger side headlight connector, then ran the rest of it along the battery cable on the rad support using some zip ties.

Mike

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to remove the batteries with any of them, unless you have really fat hands.....

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky for me I have scrawny hands! haha
so madpogue could i just attach the red wire right to the passenger side positive battery clamp...and the ground to the neg side of the battery? Not sure what the original right headlight connector is I think ill snap some pictures tomorrow with what i think it is.
Mike, Im going to steal your idea zip tieng to the +ve seems like the neatest/simplest way

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Al, Ill take a pic of the instructions to and post them

Eric, I was just about to order the lmc kit to until you posted that its not long enough and very good quality, I read that entire thread on the harness on the psd forum

The fact that its going to be brighter is a huge plus, but the fact that its a fire hazard really made me get my rear end in gear and get the kit

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so madpogue could i just attach the red wire right to the passenger side positive battery clamp...and the ground to the neg side of the battery?
That would work, if the ring terminals are big enough for the clamp bolts. I used the starter relay terminal and a ground screw so as not to add anything to the battery terminals; makes it easier when you disconnect them.
Not sure what the original right headlight connector is I think ill snap some pictures tomorrow with what i think it is.
It's right on the passenger side headlight.

Reaction score
The connector I mentioned is the one that's plugged into the bulb right now. On the harness, there should be at least one connector that mimics the end on the bulb. Unplug both headlight connectors, then plug the connector from the harness into one of the connectors that was plugged into the headlight. On the LMC kit, I used the connection for the passenger headlight. Then plug the connectors on the new harness into the bulbs. Make your power and ground connections (I used the battery terminals), mount the relays somewhere, and you're done. On mine, the original connector that was plugged into the driver's side bulb is now not plugged into anything. I ziptied it back onto its harness to keep it from dangling.

Mike

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i plug the short (random looking) connector to the old passenger headlight fitting.....then just run the new fitting into the passenger light and the other new fitting to the drivers side and thats it?...that seems pretty simple i think ill do that today

Reaction score
Okay so i plug the short (random looking) connector to the old passenger headlight fitting.....then just run the new fitting into the passenger light and the other new fitting to the drivers side and thats it?...that seems pretty simple i think ill do that today

Other than hooking up the power/ground to the battery and routing the wires to make it clean, yep. That's it.

Mike