good fuel treatment?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, "Diesel 911" (by Power Service in the red bottle)is supposed to get rid of the water, but i belive that has alcohol in it too. Otherwise, it couldn't combine with the water to move it through the fuel system. I carry a bottle of it behind the seat strictly for a water related "emergency" as I am sure alcohol does'nt do our fuel systems any good. If it were me, I would get a cheap suction pump and suck the stuff out of the tank and refill. Pump the watered down stuff into a container and take it back to the POS station you bought it at. They need to know they are getting water in their diesel tanks so somebody esle doesn't have the same problem. I would report them as well to whoever handles that in you area. Either the station has a tank leaking underground and that is how the water is getting in, has really bad condensation happening in the tank for whatever reason, or they are intentionally adding water.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have two choices. You can do the right thing, or you can do the wrong thing. If you know you have water in the tank, drain it. This would be easier if you take a moment and convert to an electric fuel pump as most of us have. You can just disconnect the feed to the filter head, and pump the tank out with your new electric lift pump. That's easier than pulling the tank and pickups and draining it. If you let the truck sit still on flat and level ground, the water is going to come out first anyway, so you may not have to drain it all. The rest of the water, or if you choose not to drain it, is going to get picked up in your fuel/water separator (which I hope you have one). You better have a sensor on it too, so you know when to drain it. Your worst option is to add a fuel additive to emulsify the water. Feeding water molecules to your injection pump is an all around bad idea, no matter how you look at it. I'll be happy to sell you a new IP when yours wears out from excessive water, but I don't like to see potential sales being generated by shortcuts and ***** moves when alternatives exist that will only save you money and increase your enjoyment of the truck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it were me, I would drop the tank.
Get a cheap electric fuel pump and pump out what you can, then drop it.
Just pulled a tank on a Cummins last weekend, dipped a drinking glass in there, came out ¼ water, the rest was bluish green looking. Had in out, cleaned, and back in, in an hour.

If your shower heads are gone, you probably won't pick up any of the water. (As in trying to pump it out)

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, just saying...last summer I had to drop both my tanks (busted showerheads)
Prior to doing that I went to Home Depot and purchased 10' of clear vinyl tube (maybe 3/8" don't recall)
Had the truck on level ground and feed in the hose, siphoned out the fuel until till it sucked air. Rotated the hose and got another qt out, repeated that again and got a little more out.
When I dropped the tanks I don't thing there was 1/2 cup of fuel sitting inside.