Good Deal? 1986 e350 6.9l 4x4

Austin Crowe

Reaction score
im looking at getting a 1986 e350 6.9l diesel pathfinder 4x4 it's got 155k miles and he says it runs perfect and (edit:) TRANS runs cool at 160 degrees. Said he's put a new manufacturer fuel pump in it. He's asking $12000 but said he's motivated to sell.

I would like to know how reliable are these vans? And what should I look for as far as the common problems on them and how much money can I expect to dump into it if I get it. Ive read that the 6.9l is really good and the biggest problem is thin heads which get eaten up by coolant?

My goal is to make it into a conversion van and travel across the U.S in it. Im a newb at diesel engines any suggestions or help is really appreciated.
Thanks

I'
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it runs @ 160 degrees, it does not have a motorcraft t-stat, and most likely autolite glow plugs.
12 grand? please visit said van owner and bring me 2 of whatever he is smoking, that's a 3500 dollar rig if immaculate.

their as reliable as the time and effort you put into it, and a IDI van owner is a special breed indeed.
I have an IDI truck that I rebuilt, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.
I have a PSD e-350 1998, with 330k on the clock, that's just as reliable as my IDI.
but I bought it for 2k with new tires.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, on price but I don't need the smokes! Sounds like there is no t-stat. If off on that subject, may be off on others.
Unless you know the seller, his stories are making the most money. Mark Twain always sold his stories easily.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its too steep on price unless it is showroom condition. 4wd vans seem to pull some serious money if they are clean and more if they are diesel. it will be a C6 trans and without an overdrive your cruising speed will be low.

there is not much demand for the 4wd vans but people usually pay more than they are worth because of the rare factor.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that price you could find yourself a good running and looking late 01-03 7.3 powerstroke with really low miles and 4x4 or e series with a box.

I'm idiot sound like a non motorcraft or nothing at all on that tstat. Mine warms up to 190 and says there unless I'm in it. No tstat means there is a problem somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking at getting a 1986 e350 6.9l diesel pathfinder 4x4 it's got 155k miles and he says it runs perfect and runs cool at 160 degrees. Said he's put a new manufacturer fuel pump in it. He's asking $12000 but said he's motivated to sell.

I would like to know how reliable are these vans? And what should I look for as far as the common problems on them and how much money can I expect to dump into it if I get it. Ive read that the 6.9l is really good and the biggest problem is thin heads which get eaten up by coolant?

My goal is to make it into a conversion van and travel across the U.S in it. Im a newb at diesel engines any suggestions or help is really appreciated.
Thanks

I'
is this the Van you are looking at
https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6042119820.html

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Meh, it's worth what the buyer is willing to pay.
The "path finders" are pretty rare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck runs at like 170 in the winter and 190 during summer I didn't know running that cool was a bad thing?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Diesels like to run hotter than gas motors. Many run 205 degree thermostats for that reason. You will get incomplete combustion running at 160 or 170 degrees.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the punctuation:
Automatic transmission shifts smooth, runs nice and cool at about 160 degrees.
Says NOTHING about engine temperature.

The most "common problem" with diesel vans is that there's a bigeffin' diesel engine stuffed into a VERY small space, and nearly in your crotch. That is, what are mundane repairs on a truck can become yoga exercises with a van. Just something to keep in mind, whatever van you choose.

I wouldn't call anything with an automatic a "bug-out" vehicle, but at least with the C6 it'll fare better than an E4DOA.

1986 called; it wants its flames back...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A proper maintained cooling system with a 190 degree motorcraft thermostat should run at exactly 190 degrees during normal engine operation. Any more or less during normal operation means something ain't right.
Sounds like he has the wrong Tstat or nothing in there at all. 160 is too cool for these engines. Don't know why people think the cooler an engine runs, the better it is.
A good example is my Jeep I just bought. It runs at about 210-220, with the electric fan always on after warmup. That ain't right considering it has a 190 degree Tstat in it. Sooo, it's getting a new champion rad, factory Tstat, water pump, fan clutch & stock mechanical cooling fan. That should bring it down to 190 during normal operation.
Having said that, 12k for a 31 year old van is steep. But he might get that depending on if someone just needs to have it regardless of price.
+ they are a lot of fun to work on from what I hear :bs

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the punctuation: Says NOTHING about engine temperature.

The most "common problem" with diesel vans is that there's a bigeffin' diesel engine stuffed into a VERY small space, and nearly in your crotch. That is, what are mundane repairs on a truck can become yoga exercises with a van. Just something to keep in mind, whatever van you choose.

I wouldn't call anything with an automatic a "bug-out" vehicle, but at least with the C6 it'll fare better than an E4DOA.

1986 called; it wants its flames back...

Haah I think your right. He was probably referring to the transmission.

Austin Crowe

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

Yes that is the ad that I'm looking at in Orlando Florida.

I kinda thought that was weird too that he was saying it ran cool as a good thing. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee and it ran cold and it was the t stat broke open now It runs at 205-210.

I'm very familiar with gas engines as I've dumped countless hours into my Jeep Cherokee which is pretty easy to work on. But my goal is to make it into a bug out van and will probably live in it for a year traveling and see where I go from there. So before I would even think about leaving everything and hitting the road I would definitely go through and replace any maintenance items.

I do wish it was it was manual and as far as no OD I don't believe I would really care for that I mean it would be nice but if it can comfortably cruise at 60-70 that would be perfect.

And I know you can get early model vans for cheaper but it's hard to find them 4x4 and diesel. And honestly I frigging love that style of the 86 front end and side windows. Just don't want to have a badass bug out van on the outside but always be breaking down and giving me hell.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah 160 degrees is idea for a transmission, but not for cooling. Now my 60 series detroit stays at 175 all the time till I'm going up hills. All the old IDIs don't have the injecton pressure to atomiz the fuel for lower temps.

Now on any diesel I look at. I always like to hear them start cold, and hot. When it's hot I wait 5 to 10 minutes before restart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726