gear change 4.11 to 3.55 sterling 10.25pinion shim question ????

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changeing gear set 10.25 sterling 4.11 to 3.55,and on the pinion the new pinion is marked with a blue line with a pink 0 the old pinion is marked in white + 1 and has a .013 shim so what is the new pinion size shim ? does it make sense that it would be +1

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It has to be set up again with the correct preload and gear pattern.

The blu and pink mean absolutly NOTHING

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Yup.

Please tell me that it's not a used set. From my limited understanding, they can be tricky to set up. Either way, they need to be completely setup from scratch.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a new ford ring and pinion gear set i could not find a used set .its been 20 years since i installed a gear set im a bit rusty and some memory loss i will dig out my dial gauge to check /set but in reference to the ford manual the reference to the chart with the -=+ numbers for the new gears and the old gears has a set reference to the shim size are you familiar with the chart i will tre to post some pics i know on the gear sets ive installed years ago i used a type of grease th check the pattern on the teeth and set the carrier shims pinion shims backlash set to racing,street,loose or dragway tight on this sterling i do not have to reset the carrier side shims just the pinion depth correct

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changeing gear set 10.25 sterling 4.11 to 3.55,and on the pinion the new pinion is marked with a blue line with a pink 0 the old pinion is marked in white + 1 and has a .013 shim so what is the new pinion size shim ? does it make sense that it would be +1

No it is not plus 1. If the old pinion is etched with a 0 and the new pinion is etched with a +1 then you need to subtract .001 from the shim pack. The +1 means the new pinion is .001 longer than the nominal length.

But it really all comes down to being with in spec on pinion preload, backlash, carrier pre-load, pinion depth and your pattern when you check it with gear marking compound. Permatex prussian blue is the gear compound to use. Not always easy to find though...maybe easier just to order online.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
In my experience with the Ford 8" and 9" diffs the pinion shim was always a minimum of .020"....What ever was marked on the pinion ( +1 or +2 and so on) had to be added to the .020" shim thickness, not subtracted....I'm just throwing this out there so you don't wreck anything as it could apply the same to a 10.25"....My advice, call or email Randy's ring and pinion or Currie Enterprises to get expert advice in this matter. I'd hate to see you burn up a bearing due to incorrect advice.

As for used gears, I've swapped in a few sets, all are still running down the road today....I take everything out of the donor axle right down to the shims and crush sleeve and put them in the new axle...(unless it's a 9" Ford axle which doesn't use a crush sleeve)...The trick is to get the gears running in there old spot....A little bit loose is better than a little tight when it comes to pinion bearings IMHO.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so it is actualy the new pinion that is 0 and the old one is +1 so then i should install the same old shim on to the new one ?? it seems they etch the specs on the gears for standard assembely .thus elimanating the time consumeing event of gear set-up ,can you shed some light on the chart ?

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience with the Ford 8" and 9" diffs the pinion shim was always a minimum of .020"....What ever was marked on the pinion ( +1 or +2 and so on) had to be added to the .020" shim thickness, not subtracted....I'm just throwing this out there so you don't wreck anything as it could apply the same to a 10.25"....My advice, call or email Randy's ring and pinion or Currie Enterprises to get expert advice in this matter. I'd hate to see you burn up a bearing due to incorrect advice.

As for used gears, I've swapped in a few sets, all are still running down the road today....I take everything out of the donor axle right down to the shims and crush sleeve and put them in the new axle...(unless it's a 9" Ford axle which doesn't use a crush sleeve)...The trick is to get the gears running in there old spot....A little bit loose is better than a little tight when it comes to pinion bearings IMHO.

ok yes i checked the shim it is 0.18

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On dana rears anything within + or - 3 uses the same shim, assemble it with the .018 and check pattern, i bet it will be fine. When I did mine I had a used set and the marks were also 1 or 2 different but both shims were the same thickness .

The sad part is that new gear sets dont have a pinion depth marking etched in.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe ford marks all new gear sets dana sets stamped on the pinion button before 1990 ,and all sterling sets on the pinion stem either metric or standard hence the chart ,after market gears i dont recall are marked this way... the ford gear sets are lapped in at the factory .