Fuel system revamp...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular cab duallies look like bulldogs! Very cool!

I know, I love the front bumper on the truck, I wish I could find another one like it for my 1990 1st Gen Dodge...

I am going to fix some of the rust holes and prime the whole truck the same color after I get all the mechanicals done...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump showed up this evening...I got all my new lines installed from the tank's to the switcher valve yesterday...First thing tomorrow I am going to put the new sending unit seal and lock ring on both tanks then I got to put the front tank back up in the truck then throw the pump in tomorrow and replace the rest of the old rubber lines on the truck and she should just about be ready to roll...

You must be registered for see images attach

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Fuel pump showed up this evening...I got all my new lines installed from the tank's to the switcher valve yesterday...First thing tomorrow I am going to put the new sending unit seal and lock ring on both tanks then I got to put the front tank back up in the truck then throw the pump in tomorrow and replace the rest of the old rubber lines on the truck and she should just about be ready to roll...

Very cool, Logan. May I ask what you used to replace the fuel lines with? I'm kicking around doing this myself in the near future.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool, Logan. May I ask what you used to replace the fuel lines with? I'm kicking around doing this myself in the near future.

Went down the street to my local Fleet Pride and picked up several feet of 3/8 and 5/16 fuel line, I even bought some 1/4 just in case I needed it...1/4 was 60 cents a foot, 5/16 was 70 cents a foot, and 3/8 was 79 cents a foot...I left the two curved plastic fuel lines on the front tank and just connected them with short rubber pieces...

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Man, if I was to do it all over again, I'd be using a roll of 5/16" stainless from the rear tank all the way forward.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, if I was to do it all over again, I'd be using a roll of 5/16" stainless from the rear tank all the way forward.

The longest piece of rubber line in the system is about 8 inches and those go from the sending unit to the steel lines, personally if it was mine I would of got rid of the switcher valve all together and just used a T to pull from both tanks or drilled a hole in the bottom of the rear tank and put a bung in it and gravity fed the front tank with the rear one and just ran the return line to the rear...

The truck fired right up earlier and ran perfect, I am going to get some clear hose tomorrow and check for air bubbles in the system but the way it ran (better than it did before) I don't think I will have many problems with it, hopefully I will have it done by tomorrow evening and I will be able to drive it to the race track and put some run time on it and make sure all the bugs are worked out of it...I am just running it with temporary wiring right now direct from the battery but tomorrow I am going to run switched power to it with a double ground at the frame and at the battery...I am going to use heavy extension cord (yes, I said extension cord) instead of regular wire to power the pump because 1: It is rated at 120 Volts all day, every day on 30, 40, and 50 foot runs and will hold alot of amps...2: It is alot easier to run to the pump as you don't have to worry about two different wires and zip tieing them together and all that B.S...3: Its already got a shield around the wiring so if it rubs against something or gets against something hot it wont immediately melt and ground out...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting air in the system now, apparently they also make a giant loop between the firewall and the back of the engine I didn't see, and I don't know why they done it either, so I got to cut about 2 feet or so of useless steel and rubber line out and replace it with a 4 inch piece of rubber line. I am going to bypass everything tomorrow and make sure the pick up's aren't sucking air at the connections...

What is this attached to the sending unit...It's loose and it is probably sucking air from there, it looks like the typical ford push lock fuel fitting but I'm not sure...

You must be registered for see images attach

tenlug

Reaction score
That looks like a one way check valve. Ford used them on the injected gas trucks so they didn't have a tank switch valve ( turn on front pump or rear pump with no valve). Ask me how I found that out. Steve

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the switcher valve was part of the problem, I ran a hose around the switcher from the rear tank to the pump, the return line I left on the switcher...I ran the truck a while on the rear tank and had no fuel coming back the return line to the rear tank, the SOB filled the front tank and emptied the rear as it pumped...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online