Fuel system revamp...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got a regular cab long bed dually 84 F350 with a swapped in 7.3 IDI and a ZF 5 speed setting on my pad right now. I got to redo the fuel system on it cause its sucking air, has rotted lines, and its aftermarket fuel pump has went out, matter of fact I just swapped a used one into it along side the road and hot wired it direct to the battery with about 12 foot of house wire I had in the Station Wagon to get home...

Here are my questions...

What is the best rubber line to use?

What is the size of the rubber line?

Should I replace all of the steel line?

Should I go to bigger rubber and steel lines?

What frame mounted electric pump should I use?

Should I leave the stock filter setup?

Anything else I should know?

I got two brand new tanks setting here IF I need them but don't want to use them if I don't have too...I am going to pull the pick-ups and clean them and flush them...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pm type4 for a return line kit. it has everything you need. if the metel lines are not cracked leave them alone. as for a e pump i would get a one from genlightenig just pm him. do you have the 6.9 filter or the 7.3 one?

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pm type4 for a return line kit. it has everything you need. if the metel lines are not cracked leave them alone. as for a e pump i would get a one from genlightenig just pm him. do you have the 6.9 filter or the 7.3 one?

I am guessing the 7.3, its mounted on the top passenger side of the engine. I won't be able to use the carrier pump, I can't mount it in the engine bay, it has to stay mounted on the frame rail of the truck...

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Carrier electric pump can be mounted anyplace you have room. Look at a semi trailer where the refers are and where the fuel tank is.... They pull fuel from way back under the trailer by the spare tires all the way up top of the trailers. They plain suck fuel a long ways... No other pump will do that..:sly

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Carrier electric pump can be mounted anyplace you have room. Look at a semi trailer where the refers are and where the fuel tank is.... They pull fuel from way back under the trailer by the spare tires all the way up top of the trailers. They plain suck fuel a long ways... No other pump will do that..:sly

Ok, it seemed like everyone was saying to mount it under the hood...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my questions...

What is the best rubber line to use? - Gates or Goodyear only.

What is the size of the rubber line? - 3/8 inside diamter.

Should I replace all of the steel line? - Not unless it's toast.

Should I go to bigger rubber and steel lines? - No reason, 3/8 is fine.

What frame mounted electric pump should I use? - Facet or Holley, depends on what you want.

Should I leave the stock filter setup? - Facet has a filter on it. Otherwise, no, the stock filter is fine.

Heath

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found out from the owner they are running the electric fuel pump into the stock mechanical lift pump...I believe this was the downfall of both the pumps...I am just going to put a Carrier/Facet pump on the frame, bypass the mechanical pump, and roll with it...

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I am just going to put a Carrier/Facet pump on the frame, bypass the mechanical pump, and roll with it...

The Carrier/Facet has to be mounted well above the fuel tank or cavatation sets in, FYI, The Carrier is a pull type pump and most of the others are push type.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Why can't you mount the pump i nthe engine bay?

you can

on the dual pump set up with both mechanical and electric that is a bad idea running both at the same time. midnightrider did a nice set up where he added a electric with valves to make bleading a breeze but turned it off and ran the regular lift pump normally. if you have a electric pushing a mechanical pump you can overload the mechanical pump diaphram and fill your engine with diesel fuel.

i am not an expert but i think that would be bad for the bearings.:eek:

if adding a electric pump i like to add one of those mr gasket see through filters. it is reccomended to have a prefilter and some pumps void your warrenty if you dont. these are cheap and readily availible off any parts store shelf and you can replace the element in them.

carriar pumps seem to be nice pumps, another to consider is the carter, replaced my holley with it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out from the owner they are running the electric fuel pump into the stock mechanical lift pump...I believe this was the downfall of both the pumps...I am just going to put a Carrier/Facet pump on the frame, bypass the mechanical pump, and roll with it...

Like Gary said.....You can mount the Facet Duralift anywhere on the truck, it doesn't have to be under the hood. I'm a framerail guy myself.

Yup, pull that mechanical pump off and block off the opening with a Big Block Chevy plate. Can get them at most autoparts places. Finding the brass to bypass the pump is a bigger challange. My local CarQuest has the best selection of good Eaton brass fittings and had all I needed to do the trick.
I've done this on both my IDI's now. Photos below.
You must be registered for see images

And on the F250:

I like the way I did it on the crew cab F350 better. Cleaner and less brass.

Heath

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ahh, logan has joined our side now.... haha. how you doin bud?

i am also curoius why you cant mount the pump in the engine bay.

and yes, running the electric pump threw the factory pump will kill both of them. bypass the factory pump if you want to run electric.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need atleast 1 new sending unit so far, there is no sock, no pickup, or anything but a open rubber line on the end of it...I guess you can't get the sending units new from the parts store so I am going to have to build a new pick up for it out of stainless tubing and some other stuff...

I decided to go with a Summit Brand 6 PSI, 95 GPH, electric pump I am going to mount on a plate then on the the frame rail with rubber isolators...

The Carrier/Facet has to be mounted well above the fuel tank or cavatation sets in, FYI, The Carrier is a pull type pump and most of the others are push type.

Why can't you mount the pump i nthe engine bay?

He dosen't want it up there plus there isn't much room to put it with the dual batteries and everything else he has up there...

you can

on the dual pump set up with both mechanical and electric that is a bad idea running both at the same time. midnightrider did a nice set up where he added a electric with valves to make bleading a breeze but turned it off and ran the regular lift pump normally. if you have a electric pushing a mechanical pump you can overload the mechanical pump diaphram and fill your engine with diesel fuel.

i am not an expert but i think that would be bad for the bearings.:eek:

if adding a electric pump i like to add one of those mr gasket see through filters. it is reccomended to have a prefilter and some pumps void your warrenty if you dont. these are cheap and readily availible off any parts store shelf and you can replace the element in them.

carriar pumps seem to be nice pumps, another to consider is the carter, replaced my holley with it.

I was planning to use a pre-filter on it...I knew the electric pushing the mechanical was not a good idea but I didn't tell him that, I am just going to fix it right...

Like Gary said.....You can mount the Facet Duralift anywhere on the truck, it doesn't have to be under the hood. I'm a framerail guy myself.

Yup, pull that mechanical pump off and block off the opening with a Big Block Chevy plate. Can get them at most autoparts places. Finding the brass to bypass the pump is a bigger challange. My local CarQuest has the best selection of good Eaton brass fittings and had all I needed to do the trick.
I've done this on both my IDI's now. Photos below.

And on the F250:

I like the way I did it on the crew cab F350 better. Cleaner and less brass.

Heath

I am not sure how I am going to run it but there will be no mechanical lift pump...

ahh, logan has joined our side now.... haha. how you doin bud?

i am also curoius why you cant mount the pump in the engine bay.

and yes, running the electric pump threw the factory pump will kill both of them. bypass the factory pump if you want to run electric.

Not yet, I am just fixing this POS for the guy, it has been cobbled on so much now I am the one that has to fix it correctly...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach