Front receiver hitch

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I took too long to do it, so I can't do it before I go camping, but when I get back...

I would like to install a receiver hitch with a 2" square so I can put my Thule bike rack in front when I'm towing my boat. I yarded the bumper off my old man's truck so I could get a rough idea as to what to do, outer frame is about 41" apart.

Has anyone fab'd up a front receiver before that also allows room for a charge air cooler?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could take some pictures of the snow plow frame I have here if you'd like to see how they tied that in. It's easier on a 2wd because you don't have a shackle in the way of mounting brackets. I think the plow frame has a plate that goes around and ties into the shock tower bolts. That would distribute the load a little better on the frame.

If it's just for a bike rack the holes in front of the body mount should work good enough for that load though. Mounting the bumper would be the new issue.... Maybe make the bumper bolt to the hitch assembly instead?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I had an idea. I apologize that my "autocad" isn't pretty or to scale, but everyone seems smart enough to get the idea. My thought is that this would be removable, strong, and multifunctional. It could be made from scrap steel, painted to be pretty, and I'd probably do some rubber bumpers between it and the bumper. If you're just holding up bikes I wouldn't try to tap into the frame of the truck, unless they were like FLH frame Harleys.

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_055756.jpg
    IMG_20230903_055756.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 18

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could take some pictures of the snow plow frame I have here if you'd like to see how they tied that in. It's easier on a 2wd because you don't have a shackle in the way of mounting brackets. I think the plow frame has a plate that goes around and ties into the shock tower bolts. That would distribute the load a little better on the frame.

If it's just for a bike rack the holes in front of the body mount should work good enough for that load though. Mounting the bumper would be the new issue.... Maybe make the bumper bolt to the hitch assembly instead?
That’s correct on the plow frame and it’s definitely strong, I drove the cross bar into boulders at speed. I’d do like I did with the grand am and other cars. Let’s say the truck frame is 1/4. Make 1/4 brackets on outside of bumper brackets that drop down enough/position to clear a square channel bar going diagonal from plate to plate. Then get a cut to length receiver tube and depending on where your new cross bar is either weld and bring it through the factory bumper or right underneath it. For these trucks, you lose a good amount of ground clearance with how the plow crossmember is.

This is also the same way I did the Cadillac for the 12k winch and it has a receiver

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the different positioning of things to consider. Plow crossmember, and two examples (rsk and factory) why you have to make the brackets come forward or low.

Or, if it was my truck I’d make it so that the square tube is right behind the bumper and then cut the bumper so that the receiver comes through the center.
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For these trucks, you lose a good amount of ground clearance with how the plow crossmember is.

I agree completely, my point was more about weight distribution if he intended to ever use it as a hitch. I would tie in just like the plow frame but run the receiver much higher up than the crossmember is on the plow frame. I have been thinking about doing something similar on Tank when I build my bumper for that as I don't like all the weight hanging off the front of the frame. Just come down a couple inches and you wouldn't lose much more clearance than the leaf springs already cost you.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak your sense of humor always is appreciated, definitely keeps the forums from being boring.

Between the bikes and the racks, it'll be about a combined weight of 170ish pounds. I don't ever intend to pull the truck by it, typically anytime it's snowy or anything I drive my samurai instead.

The bumper mounted idea I don't think would work, between road bounce and weight it would bend the bumper, if not the support mounts.
I was thinking of doing a drop down, get some square stock to drop it below the bumper then reinforce it somehow.
It's just going to be a challenge because I'd like to keep the bumper, modifying it a little isn't off the table, but I know a lot of guys put their charge air cooler in that cavity, so want to future plan that too.

Also, my rig is 4x4 and have factory springs, so mounting to the bottom of the frame will be a challenge.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of bikes, did you know that there's a cult following of 80s BMX bikes? I actually scored a 1985 Diamondback thats worth $6-800 as is, and 12-1500 if it was mint. I guess there's a cult following of everything. It is kinda cool, even though it's just a chrome bike it has a different look than my kids modern mongooses and such.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_104120.jpg
    IMG_20230820_104120.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online